Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The only times I wanted a longer ski was in very very deep snow and on big corn faces where I was pushing 50mph.
    Man most of my touring skis would feel scary at 50mph.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

The TGR Skinny Ski Ski Tourers' Refuge Thread

Anyone gotten out on the Faction LaMachine series? If I recall correctly, they were supposed to be reverse camber, and reasonably light, but I haven’t been able to see one in person yet. Interested in the (micro) 90, 99, and (mega)109 widths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PinyonJuniper5; 02-14-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinyonJuniper5 View Post
    Anyone gotten out on the Faction LaMachine series? If I recall correctly, they were supposed to be reverse camber, and reasonably light, but I haven’t been able to see one in person yet. Interested in the (micro) 90, 99, and (mega)109 widths.
    I haven't gotten a chance to try them but looked at the 90 and 99 and they have a hair of camber

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I’ve got a set of TLT 8 carbonio boots and I’m having trouble liking the liner. I don’t wanna buy a different liner quite yet, I’ve added foam around the ankle and I’m liking that work, but I want a firmer/thicker tongue. Can anyone recommend a material/mod method to accomplish that? Like maybe even swapping the tongue out with a different boot? Gluing a plastic piece to the top of the tongue? Not sure what will work best.
    Neoprene tongue shim? (Most bootfitters have them precut in 2 thicknesses) Will certainly take up volume but won’t do much to firm it up. Most race liners have a tongue that you can sew into another liner, provided your aren’t pulling on tongues to get boots on.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    That 5% can put a big damper on your day, however.
    Agreed.
    Even if from an outing-long efficiency standpoint the more slimmed-down skins might make the tour overall go by more quickly and with less cumulative fatigue, that 5% of frustration could drag down the final score on the FunOMeter.
    Come to think of it, that's also why I rarely use skimo race skis in the backcountry (even though I always use full-cf skimo race boots and skimo racing bindings). Sure I'd be less tired back at the car and/or back at the car earlier, but I wouldn't be having as much fun overall either.
    (And remind me, having fun is the point, right? That and not having your or your partners die or suffer serious injury. Which also isn't fun.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I haven't gotten a chance to try them but looked at the 90 and 99 and they have a hair of camber
    That’s a darn shame if you ask me. Backcountry, 3-D snow conditions are exactly where I’d want a skinny-ish reverse camber ski. But there seems to be few options out there.

That’s a darn shame if you ask me. Backcountry, 3-D snow conditions are exactly where I’d want a skinny-ish reverse camber ski. But there seems to be few options out there.

This is IMO a really interesting point, as I had been wrestling with this a bunch myself.

My conclusion is that compared to a well designed modern touring ski with a very small amount of camber (ie <55% camber length and <2mm camber per ski) pure reverse skis add about 5% performance in funky snow, but cost 20% in the skin track.

The trouble is that there are very few modern shaped touring skis, and most 85-100mm touring skis have super whack shapes, stiffnesses, flex patterns that exacerbate their shortcomings, and make them even "unfun" in softslab and worse snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    This is IMO a really interesting point, as I had been wrestling with this a bunch myself.

My conclusion is that compared to a well designed modern touring ski with a very small amount of camber (ie <55% camber length and <2mm camber per ski) pure reverse skis add about 5% performance in funky snow, but cost 20% in the skin track.

The trouble is that there are very few modern shaped touring skis, and most 85-100mm touring skis have super whack shapes, stiffnesses, flex patterns that exacerbate their shortcomings, and make them even "unfun" in softslab and worse snow.
    Which narrower modern touring skis do you feel get the shape and flex patterns right?
    Last edited by abcdethan; 02-15-2023 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Which narrower modern touring skis do you feel get the shape and felx patterns right?
    IMO - Those Factions look really really good to me, as do the Moonlight stuff (have not skied either yet, only handle fondling). I just wouldn't discount them based on the small amount of camber!

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Anyone have time on Trab Magico's? I have some Wayback 88's but I've only owned the WayBack's and Zero G 85's for lightweight skis. The Waybacks are "fine" but not inspiring. They're not super light... but they also struggle when I try to press them hard. I'm wondering if the Trab would be lighter with only small downhill concessions.

It seems like Skimoco feels like they're kinda incredible.

I feel like a safer choice for me would be something like a Kastle TX 93 but I'm curious about the Trabs.
    The Trab Magicos are super damp, super durable but very demanding skis in that I found the split tail shape to really lock you into turns. That's an experience I've had echoed to me by at least 3 people. So really demanding in that skiing in any way except what the skis want is pretty effortful.

Trabs are up with Movement and Aski as dampest 1-ish-kg skis. I would say Aski is dampest, then Trab then movement. Big gap to anything else.

In terms of stiffness, trabs will be less stiff than the Zero Gs. I feel like stiffness is the only thing going for the Zero Gs and that you have to be a former ski racer to truly ski the Zero Gs well. Typical Zero G skier gets kicked into the back seat constantly.

I don't have experience on the Wayback 88 unfortunately. Something tells me you should ask skimoco about the Volkl rise beyond 88 or the Dynafit Blacklight Pro/series. The Dynafit Blacklight 88 "skied heavy" - felt like it punched through crud. Trab felt like it absorbed crud if that difference makes sense.

Another thing to consider is if a ski is damper or simply heavier. I think the Zero G line is just heavier. If your ski is 30% heavier than an actual 1kg ski then it'll ski better. The Trab is nice because you can get the same shape but get up to a 1200g ski if you want. Same thing with the Backland line.

Re: Factions:

I had two pairs of Factions Agent, the 2.0 and 1.0. Both came in well above listed weight. 1.0 was significantly heavier than claimed.
    So if you are looking at Factions, make sure you get a real weight (assuming that matters to you).
    Last edited by Tjaardbreeuwer; 02-16-2023 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    Re: Factions:

I had two pairs of Factions Agent, the 2.0 and 1.0. Both came in well above listed weight. 1.0 was significantly heavier than claimed.
    So if you are looking at Factions, make sure you get a real weight (assuming that matters to you).
    Skimo co published real world weights of the Machines, slightly above spec but not horribly so

I also think it depends on the skis stiffness underfoot. For instance the Volkl 98/blazes, the camber is so soft underfoot it rounds out to reverse with almost no pressure.

Does anyone have rec for a spring pant or just a solution to keep snow out of boots? I want it as light/cold as possible. I actually usually wear shorts only whenever it's >32F and sunny, but then when I'm skiing down or booting snow gets in my boots, so I am now looking for pants (or a solution).

I'm seeing some pants that are like $200 but that seems frustrating. Any suggestions?

I recently got some of these, mainly because they come in tall sizing: https://www.mammut.com/us/en/product...brid-pants-men

Used them racing beer league skimo and they worked great, last year i was wearing tights and that put a lot of snow in my boots on the bootpack. Also nice on warm days, or short trips up the local hills too as my light "touring specific" shell pants are still a little much a lot of the time. Have side vent zips and then zippers on the bottoms to widen the cuff. No gaiter but scuff guards and a rubber gripper around the bottom. With my backlands I can zip them down and it's pretty tight around them although I also don't expect they'd fit over a big boot. Pretty slim fitting. I do wish they had a better waist adjuster- it's just a string plus a stretchy waistband, no belt loops. Side velcro deals or something would be nice.

This was super helpful. I’m fairly convinced if like the Magico for a lot of applications. The Aski was on my short list but Skimoco sold out of my size.

The main hold up with the trabs is the cost… I’ve never fully clicked with any pair of light skis. I’m thinking these might fit my use pretty darn well but $1100 is a lot of money for a best guess.

I’ll ponder a bit more and see where I end up.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    The Trab Magicos are super damp, super durable but very demanding skis in that I found the split tail shape to really lock you into turns. That's an experience I've had echoed to me by at least 3 people. So really demanding in that skiing in any way except what the skis want is pretty effortful.

Trabs are up with Movement and Aski as dampest 1-ish-kg skis. I would say Aski is dampest, then Trab then movement. Big gap to anything else.

In terms of stiffness, trabs will be less stiff than the Zero Gs. I feel like stiffness is the only thing going for the Zero Gs and that you have to be a former ski racer to truly ski the Zero Gs well. Typical Zero G skier gets kicked into the back seat constantly.

I don't have experience on the Wayback 88 unfortunately. Something tells me you should ask skimoco about the Volkl rise beyond 88 or the Dynafit Blacklight Pro/series. The Dynafit Blacklight 88 "skied heavy" - felt like it punched through crud. Trab felt like it absorbed crud if that difference makes sense.

Another thing to consider is if a ski is damper or simply heavier. I think the Zero G line is just heavier. If your ski is 30% heavier than an actual 1kg ski then it'll ski better. The Trab is nice because you can get the same shape but get up to a 1200g ski if you want. Same thing with the Backland line.

Anyone have time on both the Kastle TX 87 and 93?

Can't seem to find anyone with insight into the difference on snow. I can't imagine 6cm is a lot but there has to be a reason they've got both in their lineup.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    This was super helpful. I’m fairly convinced if like the Magico for a lot of applications. The Aski was on my short list but Skimoco sold out of my size.

The main hold up with the trabs is the cost… I’ve never fully clicked with any pair of light skis. I’m thinking these might fit my use pretty darn well but $1100 is a lot of money for a best guess.

I’ll ponder a bit more and see where I end up.
    Yeah, they are hella expensive.

The ski shape is pretty unique IMO - the tails really messed with me - so it might be worth demoing or even buying the cheaper version. The La Sportiva-branded cheaper versions pop up for really low prices pretty frequently.

Uh..... what size Aski are you looking for haha. 175? Maybe we can work some TGR Skinny Ski Ski Tourers Refuge magic.

Someone here might be interested. RS is the answer if you like light, stiff, quick transitions.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=351761
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Loving my F1 LT's but the only bc boot I've had trouble with keeping my toes warm (and my feet normally run hot). Anyone played with putting insulating tape (thinking either Mylar or Polyimide/ Kapton tape) on the internal toe box or anything like that? Or even Mylar on the outside of their liners?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Loving my F1 LT's but the only bc boot I've had trouble with keeping my toes warm (and my feet normally run hot). Anyone played with putting insulating tape (thinking either Mylar or Polyimide/ Kapton tape) on the internal toe box or anything like that? Or even Mylar on the outside of their liners?
    I use vapor barrier socks when I ski my F1 LT’s in cold temps (anything colder than 10ish Fahrenheit). They prevent my socks and liners from absorbing any sweat and I notice that my feet stay significantly warmer. I run them against my skin underneath the CT Pro sock from LeBent (which is awesome BTW).

The plastic produce bags that you see at the grocery store work great and won’t alter the fit of your boots at all. I’ve yet to find a commercially produced VBL sock that works as well as these. The main disadvantages are that they are pretty much only good for a single day’s use, and are kind of gross to take off at the end of the day when they are filled with sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Does anyone have rec for a spring pant or just a solution to keep snow out of boots? I want it as light/cold as possible. I actually usually wear shorts only whenever it's >32F and sunny, but then when I'm skiing down or booting snow gets in my boots, so I am now looking for pants (or a solution).

I'm seeing some pants that are like $200 but that seems frustrating. Any suggestions?
    I wear Marmot Scree pants in summer. They are nice, stretchy, Schoeller softshell pants that breathe pretty well and cuffs just fit over my Backland boots.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    I wear Marmot Scree pants in summer. They are nice, stretchy, Schoeller softshell pants that breathe pretty well and cuffs just fit over my Backland boots.
    I keep it real with jeans:
    https://skimo.co/crazy-idea-hugo-pants
    ... if they're not really actual real jeans!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Well let's see if this works out. Have a hut trip this weekend with a 7mile approach in teens temps.
    Just super77'd bits of a mylar blanket to the toebox and sole + a bit of wrap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3700.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	920.9 KB 
ID:	450044

Nice! Let us know how it goes. Vapor barrier socks seem cool too - I've never heard of those.

Friend recommended the Strafe Recon pants. He said Gaston told him he made them for himself to train in because he doesn't want to train in a skinsuit. Seems really light, exactly the features I need, and only $140. Promising.