Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    In the realm of 90's little sleeper cars there was this...
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...rmance-nissan/

Fun car. The engine was smooth and powerful.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    In the realm of 90's little sleeper cars there was this...
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...rmance-nissan/

Fun car. The engine was smooth and powerful.
    Those WERE fun cars. Really popular in Mexico when I was young. Had a buddy or two with them. Rode in a Mexican taxi or two and those drivers gave me the ride of a lifetime. The oh shit handles were definitely utilized.

Also, anybody else remember the 80s Datsun/Nissan 200SX turbo? One of my best friends had one. Not fast by today's standards either, but still a blast to sling around. Little car with RWD made for a fun little drift machine. CHEAP too back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by skajah View Post
    From the 10 year old/what could go wrong thread, still rocking it, put 150,000 miles on it since.
    150k? Wow, that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Track days aside, I think snowy parking lots and the kids (and me) drifting the shit out of them should be off limits to overeager cops.
    How else are you supposed to learn to drive in the snow?

I think the Honda Prelude deserves a mention here. I lusted after one in HS. FWD, but only sold in MT, owned it's class at the time, and you could rev the piss out of it. C&D did a 20-year follow up review on it in 2019 and it still held up pretty well: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Name:  itr1grinch.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  Integra1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  173.2 KB

Automatics were available on Preludes but you definitely wanted the 5 manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    As a former teen who started racing(autocross) at 15(track days at 16, wheel to wheel racing by 18) its also a good way to instill that they know more about car control than 99 percent of the population, and probably cause them to get some tickets. I have yet to wreck a car though and if I had kids i rather have tickets than wrecked cars or bodies.
    I had the opposite experience growing up racing shifterkarts. I never had much desire to drive like a jackass on the street as a teenager because all cars are slow as fuck compared to a 125cc shifter.

The car control thing though... having extensive racing experience has absolutely saved me from wrecking multiple vehicles in bad weather. I've usually already corrected by the time I consciously know I'm sideways. So whether it be karts, autocross, track days, snowy parking lots, everyone should put some time into finding the limits of traction in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Automatics were available on Preludes but you definitely wanted the 5 manual.
    I misread the C&D article. The SH model was MT-only.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I had the opposite experience growing up racing shifterkarts. I never had much desire to drive like a jackass on the street as a teenager because all cars are slow as fuck compared to a 125cc shifter.

The car control thing though... having extensive racing experience has absolutely saved me from wrecking multiple vehicles in bad weather. I've usually already corrected by the time I consciously know I'm sideways. So whether it be karts, autocross, track days, snowy parking lots, everyone should put some time into finding the limits of traction in a vehicle.
    I mean you also did not daily drive one of you road race cars I drove a caged 250hp 2000lb Civic to high school. I also never sped on highways ..no fun....it was always back roads.

but yes shifter karts will ruin you. I got to drive one at an autocross and then my last year before I sold everything I bought a 125cc shifter. Literally the most intense thing I ever drove even compared to some slower Formula Cars. If I moved back to Pittsburgh I would buy one 100 percent. In Vermont I have closer production car racing available and I bought back the car I built as teenage from the guy I sold to in 2009, and has only been using it to autocross.

Name:  itr1grinch.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  105.6 KB

well as Honda Guy I didnt want to hate the Prelude too much.....Its a nice car also the SH tech that over drove the outside wheel is pretty cool. but you have Fucking Type-R!?! Dc2 Type-R were the best of the golden ERA Hondas from the factory. I eventually owned a 94 GSR, as well as my gaggle of Civics, but an ITR is still one of the best FWD platforms ever, even if the new Civic's can finally beat them in AX. If that an FD on the left as well as well the old Chevy truck. Nice collection my man.

The newest CTRs are as fast as first gen NSXs. Ridic.

The newest CTRs are as fast as first gen NSXs. Ridic.
    For a stock car they are the best FWD will ever made.

In autocross modified though they cant touch the 88-95 hatches, I mean nothing can FWD.

Is that an RX right next to it on the lift?!!! If this is your garage, I'm pretty damn jealous right now.
    Last edited by MontuckyFried; 10-29-2021 at 02:21 PM.

I have been toying with the idea of a Lotus Evora for years, knowing that's pretty batshit to consider. But a supercharged (S or 400 models) v6 by Yota engine paired with a 6MT and insane handling and light weight seems like a great time and despite being "british" I think reliability is actually better than piss poor.

I always thought this was a fun clip as well

Just sold this 2 months ago and I wish I didn't! 01 Audi TT blast to drive but I wasn't much of a fan of the cheap coilovers on these Vermont roads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200622_115912.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	390802

S'up with those wheels shagmeister?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Ariel Atom looks fun. I've often wondered about something like that but designed for gravel roads and rough pavement. A dune buggy on steroids for the back roads of VT. Or over in upstate if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ariel Atom looks fun. I've often wondered about something like that but designed for gravel roads and rough pavement. A dune buggy on steroids for the back roads of VT. Or over in upstate if that's your thing.
    Ariel makes the Nomad specifically for that. I have never seen a Nomad though.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Didn't they sell something like that? Or was it just vaporware?

At the risk of identifying the rest of my family, my sister's husband made an atom clone in high school and drove it for a number of years through college. It was pretty cool.

This was my capstone project in college. 600 Kawasaki, Torsen diff, pneumatic paddle shift.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e9c93e04-e440-4b35-ad74-d5d9a1151a15.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	390818

Anyone else do Formula SAE?

Next best thing to a Shifter Cart or FMod car.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Didn't they sell something like that? Or was it just vaporware?

At the risk of identifying the rest of my family, my sister's husband made an atom clone in high school and drove it for a number of years through college. It was pretty cool.
    if you have enough money its listed on their site...

https://www.arielna.com/arielnomad-tactical

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    if you have enough money its listed on their site...

https://www.arielna.com/arielnomad-tactical
    I suspect that the niche of the Nomad is just really small. If you're mostly on roads, the Atom is lighter and quicker. If you are on trails/off road, something like the higher end Can Am X3s are slightly lighter, only a bit down on power, and have suspension travel that basically nothing short of a trophy truck can match, so they can handle the really rough stuff at much higher speeds. The Nomad seems to be for a narrow carving really rough dirt roads niche.

My current fun, small, non-ski car.

Name:  IMG_8684.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  109.6 KB

Has all the stage 2 goodies and protuned by a great tuner here in Central Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by RYAN13 View Post
    My current fun, small, non-ski car.

Name:  IMG_8684.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  109.6 KB

Has all the stage 2 goodies and protuned by a great tuner here in Central Oregon.
    I'm surprised that it took this long to mention the WRX. I am curious about them as I spend more time driving on dirt roads in the little BMW than would probably be wise and I have a kid in the back, so the WRX would be a pretty natural fit, but somehow I've never lusted after them. I'm not sure why. I get more excited by a BRZ with a few rally mods. I should drive a WRX someday.

It's a nice looking car though!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I suspect that the niche of the Nomad is just really small. If you're mostly on roads, the Atom is lighter and quicker. If you are on trails/off road, something like the higher end Can Am X3s are slightly lighter, only a bit down on power, and have suspension travel that basically nothing short of a trophy truck can match, so they can handle the really rough stuff at much higher speeds. The Nomad seems to be for a narrow carving really rough dirt roads niche.
    Which is kind of like Vermont...

The issue with the Can-am is is it is not street legal the Nomad is, but yeah Considering the Can am is 4 x 4 and the Nomad is not, in actual slow speed off road Can Am is way better.

I wish they would bring back a 5 door WRX. I have no real purpose for a Sedan.