Car Camping in Sun Valley

Got the early late ski pass for the valley of the sun. Wondering if you mags are willing to share good safe car camping spots around the wood river valley.

THANKS

I had good luck heading north towards Galena Pass about 10 miles road off to the right leads to a trailhead

hwy 137, corral creek might be close and doable

I heard a guy spent the whole season living in a teardrop right in the parking lot. Maybe try that and report back

https://www.spencer4mayor.com/

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I heard a guy spent the whole season living in a teardrop right in the parking lot. Maybe try that and report back
    I laughed

what are you car camping in? if itís fairly inconspicuous you could probably get away with parking it right in town as long as you moved around a bit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The car of choice for this is a Subaru 2003 outback. Cant afford the new VAN LIFE.

Sun Valley parking lot used to have a small section behind a snow bank (far north part) for employee vehicles but it is probably monitored closely or doesn't exist anymore. My brother kept a small Dodge motorhome in there for a short time. Fun while it lasted. Being discrete (arrive late / leave early) would maybe buy a few days if it's there? Local law enforcement does check public road ends from time to time so wouldn't really recommend the closer in ones. Yeah, north toward Galena summit might have something but I'd think the trailheads / recreational parking are day-use only so a F.S. road perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    And shot rabbits nearby for food. Seems legit.

Every single trailhead has no overnight camping signs in or near town. We drove up toward Galena Summit and parked in the large snowmobile parking lot right off the highway that allows overnight parking. My friend wanted to be able to smoke his weeds and I wanted to be able to drink some beers without worrying about being hassled. It worked. Regular car camping with all the fixings and no worries. A bit of a drive back to town, but always good to get the boots warmed up anyway.

We were told that over by Dollar Mountain somewhere is doable. We ended up getting a room night 2 so we didn't bother looking over there.

There may be a spot over by the original chairlift. People park & hike the hill to the top lift shack unless access has changed. It is residential though and home owners did gawk a bit. Does the Idaho dept. of highways plow out the big overlook at Galena? If they do, should be good. Get's fricken cold up there though. Friend spilled some beer a couple feet over his down bag and it was ice by time it landed.

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    There may be a spot over by the original chairlift. People park & hike the hill to the top lift shack unless access has changed. It is residential though and home owners did gawk a bit. Does the Idaho dept. of highways plow out the big overlook at Galena? If they do, should be good. Get's fricken cold up there though. Friend spilled some beer a couple feet over his down bag and it was ice by time it landed.
    Nope. No parking there any longer.
    I'm a local and am not hopeful for this but I'll keep an eye out.

The place to camp in River Run is the lower lot. There are some groomers and lift mechanics that park their trucks and plug in overnight while they work. RV's/Vans plug in there as well for a night or 2 seemingly w/out issue. There are roughly a dozen posts w power along the north side. I think the only concern is having a backup spot in case of snow removal. There is also skinners arriving early so there is activity there in the predawn hours. Lots going on winter and summer, but cops don't pay a great deal of attention to it, it's SVCo property.

No signs at trailhead when I was there in 2017, but a lot of van life since then. In a Subaru I would think you could just pull in late to one of the condo developments. Doubt people are checking plates. Always was my backup plan at places, but I like to get out of town and warm up on the drive in

there is a sweet spot going out of hailey towards rota run. right up a dirt rd into some high meadows type shit.

or n of town onto national forest land. it's not worth it for me to get hassled i'd rather be out of sight out of mind

Thanks all good info. I have thought of in plain sight. The sun valley lodge parking area, wood river Fd parking lot. Do they plow the coy creek trailhead in the winter? Or the FS building by the Lady of the snow church ?

All good thoughts and thanks…

Up by Galena pass. Exact location because not a secret.. Great backup if everything else falls through. JAN 2019

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

West Ketchum industrial close to ymca for a shower and close to grumpyís? Not like it snows that much for plowing concern. Bus to warm springs or rrun and you make quick ski, then apres like itís 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    West Ketchum industrial close to ymca for a shower and close to grumpy’s? Not like it snows that much for plowing concern. Bus to warm springs or rrun and you make quick ski, then apres like it’s 1970.
    I don't think the Y has resumed taking daily customers yet (yearly/monthly only.) That parking lot is a good one to overnight though. It seems to be used as a park n ride type lot and the new fire station at the north end of the lot has firefighters personal vehicles overnighting.

There is a condo in W Ketchum at 110 wood river drive (snowstar) w unsecured covered parking under the building. You can walk to the lift from there. It's a huge AbnB condo so many transients. No security, just make sure you park in a visitor spot.

The dollar mtn parking lot would work, but seems like there is a lot of overnight activity in that one and it would be hard to sleep.

Came here for Warren Miller references. Not disappointed.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Up by Galena pass. Exact location because not a secret.. Great backup if everything else falls through. JAN 2019

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    This is an excellent option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	393576

FYI Here's the power stands in the lower lot.

Hopeless

Thanks for the message I will reach out if I need. Might of solved some of the issues.

Excited to ski sooon! This site is a fountain of useful knowledge.

Pray for snow friends

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoundhouseCam_2021-11-20_7-19pm.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	479.8 KB 
ID:	393622

Tele.....let me know when you're around.