Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Looks like rocks in Rooster Tail area into Dry Creek, from the top of 3.

Is the Daily Mail correct that the Mobil Mart sold?!? Say it ain’t so!

“By the end of the month, Molnar and her staff will close up the shop for the winter season, reopening in May, as they've done for nearly three decades.

However, sadly, this will be the last summer that drivers will be able to dine at the restaurant, as Molnar says that she and her father have decided to list the business and the property it stands on for sale - a transaction that will fetch the duo a stunning $16.5 million.”
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...STAURANTS.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

One month until opening day...anyone starting a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Is the Daily Mail correct that the Mobil Mart sold?!? Say it ain’t so!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...STAURANTS.html
    The food there while good, did feel a bit cliche. Curious to see what the new owners will do...if an Indian family bought it (like a lot of other gas stations in CA) I actually wouldn't be disappointed if they served Indian food

Chef Tommey left there years ago. He was the one to turn it into what it is, but since he left it has just been on autopilot. If the new owners are smart they will continue in the same style, but bring in a new chef and switch things up occasionally. Most likely it will just continue down hill and just be another overpriced gas station on the east side.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    The food there while good, did feel a bit cliche. Curious to see what the new owners will do...if an Indian family bought it (like a lot of other gas stations in CA) I actually wouldn't be disappointed if they served Indian food
    Like you, I’d dig that. But I’m guessing the Mobil makes more money from overweight fifth-wheel drivers and wannabe overlanders in the summer, not skiers and climbers during shoulder season. I’m guessing the maga crowd would be less inclined to hit up the Indian Food place.

If it really did sell for $16 million, they’re building something big. Ain’t gonna be a restaurant and gas station.

Not a gas station with fish tacos and lobster taquitos, bluegrass bands (Sweetwater String Band!), a trapeze, and lots of grubby climbers after a day of crystals and granite in Tuolumne.

I’ve had some good times at Mo Mart over the last 20 years…and I’ll miss it when it’s gone.

sproing!

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    If it really did sell for $16 million, they’re building something big. Ain’t gonna be a restaurant and gas station.

Not a gas station with fish tacos and lobster taquitos, bluegrass bands (Sweetwater String Band!), a trapeze, and lots of grubby climbers after a day of crystals and granite in Tuolumne.

I’ve had some good times at Mo Mart over the last 20 years…and I’ll miss it when it’s gone.

Maybe. But that price point also includes 70 acres of surrounding land. Perhaps they have plans to build some infrastructure around there like a campground.

But years of Denali park-ratting in Alaska taught me there are few things millionaires (that would buy gas stations) love more than shitty souvenir shops. Except real estate. And as romantic as we can pretend to be about that area, true real estate investment seems ill-conceived.

My money is that it mostly stays the same, and over time may get cooler, but most likely gets worse with no music anymore. Food service probably gets limited to the Memorial-Labor Day window so kiss your post-ski carnitas tacos good bye.

They haven’t had music since Covid? I remember planning trips around the Dead Winter Carpenters or other bands. We’ve probably seen the last concert.

While the food didn’t feel as legendary as it once did, it still had quality and that seems a likely spot to cut costs.

But the Eastern Sierra culture that permeated was already diffused. There are more options up and down the road. While still a cultural touchstone, I usually ate at O’Hana’s or more recently, the Cuban place in Mammoth.

Don’t get me wrong, between the holiday weekends, that place was a money maker. But not a memory maker.

Perhaps we could start a thread to discuss the Tioga Pass Resort and them maybe over extending themselves buying Saddlebag and not having enough liquidity to rebuild/improve/facilitate both.

At first, I was stoked because I thought, people with the right mindset are taking over Saddlebag Lake. And while I know the winter of 16-17 demolished TPR, but those places are languishing.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    ....But the Eastern Sierra culture that permeated was already diffused. There are more options up and down the road....
    Way back when, 15-20 years ago (fuck I'm old), that place was really unique and truly amazing. It was an oasis in the middle of nowhere. Good food just down an insane pass from amazing crystalline granite?? At a fucking gas station??? Maybe it was the trapeze, maybe it was the hot girls who worked there, maybe it was being in your 20s and thinking each place you went was special. I don't know. But I sure had never seen anything like it before. I have a lot of amazing memories from there. I still know some of the cooks who have been back year after year. Juan and Beto - awesome dudes. Ah well, nostalgia is a motherfucker.

There's a bunch of housing for staff up behind the place - wonder if that will be converted into a rich person's compound. Campground is possible, but permitting anything in that area is tough.

Absurd that this is in the Daily Mail.
    sproing!

Wasn't there a whole thing about a hotel/resort planned for the mobile property or near it that recently got blocked? My memory may be off.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Chef Tommey left there years ago. He was the one to turn it into what it is, but since he left it has just been on autopilot. If the new owners are smart they will continue in the same style, but bring in a new chef and switch things up occasionally. Most likely it will just continue down hill and just be another overpriced gas station on the east side.
    Well... shit! You and LBskier always waxed poetic about this place. I always thought that after one of our winter Easter Sierra ski adventures, I'd finally get a chance to experience this landmark. Alas, no so much. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Wasn't there a whole thing about a hotel/resort planned for the mobile property or near it that recently got blocked? My memory may be off.
    Yes. There was something proposed there. Not sure it got approved or not, but I'm guessing that would be why it sold for $$$.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Maybe. But that price point also includes 70 acres of surrounding land. Perhaps they have plans to build some infrastructure around there like a campground.

But years of Denali park-ratting in Alaska taught me there are few things millionaires (that would buy gas stations) love more than shitty souvenir shops. Except real estate. And as romantic as we can pretend to be about that area, true real estate investment seems ill-conceived.

My money is that it mostly stays the same, and over time may get cooler, but most likely gets worse with no music anymore. Food service probably gets limited to the Memorial-Labor Day window so kiss your post-ski carnitas tacos good bye.

They haven’t had music since Covid? I remember planning trips around the Dead Winter Carpenters or other bands. We’ve probably seen the last concert.

While the food didn’t feel as legendary as it once did, it still had quality and that seems a likely spot to cut costs.

But the Eastern Sierra culture that permeated was already diffused. There are more options up and down the road. While still a cultural touchstone, I usually ate at O’Hana’s or more recently, the Cuban place in Mammoth.

Don’t get me wrong, between the holiday weekends, that place was a money maker. But not a memory maker.

Perhaps we could start a thread to discuss the Tioga Pass Resort and them maybe over extending themselves buying Saddlebag and not having enough liquidity to rebuild/improve/facilitate both.

At first, I was stoked because I thought, people with the right mindset are taking over Saddlebag Lake. And while I know the winter of 16-17 demolished TPR, but those places are languishing.
    There is also very little water left at Saddlebag Lake. Don't think the boat has run the last couple of summers. We went backpacking out of there this summer and the lake is way down to where it's barely a lake in spots.
    He who has the most fun wins!

I think that’s mostly a SCE, FERC, and state water board decision. If there was a ferry boat operator, they’d probably make different decisions.

Showed up midday today. Lines were longer than I expected but conditions are good. Surprised by how good things are skiing. Spent time off 23 and 3. Felt like a good spring day - sunny, warm and calm. Met the crew from Praxis skis in the chair 2 lot. Keith has 100 pairs of skis in their camper and some demos. Up until Sunday. Say hello if you see green Freeride Systems jacket, black pants and two kids in tow.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    Showed up midday today. Lines were longer than I expected but conditions are good. Surprised by how good things are skiing. Spent time off 23 and 3. Felt like a good spring day - sunny, warm and calm. Met the crew from Praxis skis in the chair 2 lot. Keith has 100 pairs of skis in their camper and some demos. Up until Sunday. Say hello if you see green Freeride Systems jacket, black pants and two kids in tow.

Hey, we're around, if we see you we'll say hi.

Btw, there's a new thread here:
    MAMMOTH 22/23 - LIFE'S A BEACH

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app