Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 688
  1. #326
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Manhattan Beach
    Posts
    1,427
    Good perspective LDD. We've been looking to buy/build for a while but i'm pretty confident that if we ain't at the top, it's pretty close.

    On the lease front, we are looking at a full-year lease starting in the spring, it used to be you could get the warm months for a rounding error but not so much anymore....That being said the one other great plus of Mammoth if you live <5 hours away is it really is a 4 season get away. Hiking, biking, etc are all on point and there are a ton of good day trips nearby. My good buddy has had his house there for over 20 years and he goes up all the time in off months for a week or so at a time and loves it.

    Like all 2nd home options you really gotta get some serious time in for it to make sense. Too many jongs are buying 2nd homes as "investments" where they think it's super easy to rent out to ranos on craiglsist or have zero clue how high the vig is for teh Air BNBs of the world...

  2. #327
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eastside Til I Die
    Posts
    2,100
    Clearly we need some new snow... Possible pattern shift late next week?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

  3. #328
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Nor Cal
    Posts
    14,053
    ^^ I'm pretty pessimistic until we hit February. Looks like maybe something then, nothing significant but it's a start.

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Can you squeal like a pig though?
    Did you know Burt Reynolds was originally supposed to be the one who squeals like a pig, and he's like, no, I'm not doing that. Make Ned do it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  4. #329
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    11,541
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ I'm pretty pessimistic until we hit February. Looks like maybe something then, nothing significant but it's a start.



    Did you know Burt Reynolds was originally supposed to be the one who squeals like a pig, and he's like, no, I'm not doing that. Make Ned do it.
    That would have changed the whole picture


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #330
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Jeezuz Christ Mike, skiing with Benny was a blast and the conversation was damn good. So he says shit on the Internets that annoy you, BFD. I hear much stoopider shit from other guys here so lighten up or...

    Attachment 402036
    You’d think someone who fat shames the entire country wouldn’t be a pudgy fuck.

  6. #331
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    15,375
    about the last thing I want to do is ride chairs with that lot
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  7. #332
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    50,230
    Somebody's got too much ass juice in their beards

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  8. #333
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eastside Til I Die
    Posts
    2,100
    Beautiful days on the mtn this week. Sun, light winds, no lines, absolutely gorgeous. The wind kicks up and the temps drop down today and tomorrow, then looks like more of the same next week. Then maybe, just maybe, we start to get some precip. Looks like we will be marking a 0 for January though.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

  9. #334
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Good perspective LDD. We've been looking to buy/build for a while but i'm pretty confident that if we ain't at the top, it's pretty close.

    On the lease front, we are looking at a full-year lease starting in the spring, it used to be you could get the warm months for a rounding error but not so much anymore....That being said the one other great plus of Mammoth if you live <5 hours away is it really is a 4 season get away. Hiking, biking, etc are all on point and there are a ton of good day trips nearby. My good buddy has had his house there for over 20 years and he goes up all the time in off months for a week or so at a time and loves it.

    Like all 2nd home options you really gotta get some serious time in for it to make sense. Too many jongs are buying 2nd homes as "investments" where they think it's super easy to rent out to ranos on craiglsist or have zero clue how high the vig is for teh Air BNBs of the world...
    I agree on all fronts.

    Honestly, we probably would not use the place much in the summer. I love the summer surf in Orange County, and after doing the Mammoth drive 10-12 times from November through May I'm usually pretty spent. I hit the wall with the drive sometime in May and just don't want to do it again. During the season I get in the swing of it, but in late spring I just get done with waking up at 4 am. My wife told some friends once that the drive to Mammoth is easy, I said 'yeah, because you sleep in the back with the Occy (our dog) until Bishop

    The area is really stunning in the summer. If the drive were only three hours we would probably make a few summer trips. Who knows, if we do buy we might get hooked on the summer stuff.

    Our last landlord liked us because we were dependable and kept the place in good shape. If someone does the airbnb thing a lot then the likelihood is that at some point they are going to get a bad renter. He didn't want to deal with that, and his parents had bought the place in the 70's so it was paid off, they just wanted to collect steady money, they didn't want the added cash flow of short term rentals for the added risk. One of my buddies in Newport travels a ton for work and airbnb's his townhome. In May of 2019 he got a call to let him know there was an after-prom party at his place. If you rent things out enough, at some point things will go wrong. I

    I should add again that for me this is very much of a first world problem. By definition, what I am doing to enjoy my weekends is discretionary, it is NOT a need. For the people that actually live up there it is a real problem. As of today the only long term rental I can find is a 4k square foot house which is asking 15k a month. That seems a bit out of the budget of most Mammoth locals to say the least. There was one place that was on the rental boards for a while at 2500 per month. It was a 1bd/1bath on old Mammoth that was 700 square feet. I also remember seeing a 2bd/1bath, I think it was on Mono street, that was asking 3k per month. It was furnished but definitely no frills. Ski towns have always been expensive, but the availability has just gone to zero.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  10. #335
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Beautiful days on the mtn this week. Sun, light winds, no lines, absolutely gorgeous. The wind kicks up and the temps drop down today and tomorrow, then looks like more of the same next week. Then maybe, just maybe, we start to get some precip. Looks like we will be marking a 0 for January though.
    Think I'm heading down to western Nevada for some January spring skiing and freaks in hot tubs on BLM land.

  11. #336
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,191
    Can someone post some Mammoth stoke to get those two uggos off the main page?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #337
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eastside Til I Die
    Posts
    2,100
    Sure, how about this uggo along with his badass 61yo Mother? The last time my Mom skied, she was pregnant with me. Yesterday, we skied together for the first time since that day, 35 years ago. The perks of moving here continue to exceed my expectations.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220120_202443.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	402219
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

  13. #338
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Sure, how about this uggo along with his badass 61yo Mother? The last time my Mom skied, she was pregnant with me. Yesterday, we skied together for the first time since that day, 35 years ago. The perks of moving here continue to exceed my expectations.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220120_202443.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	402219
    That’s fucking rad, man!

  14. #339
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,191
    ^Hell yea!

    Let’s get another posted cuz they’re still there!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #340
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    15,375
    yeah Alex!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  16. #341
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    15,375

    Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^Hell yea!

    Let’s get another posted cuz they’re still there!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums



    looks like a People magazine obituary cover of Louie Anderson and Meatloaf

    🤮
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 01-21-2022 at 03:22 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  17. #342
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    looks like a People magazine obituary cover of Louie Anderson and Meatloaf

    🤮
    Lol!

  18. #343
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    22,254
    What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was bluebird and warm, great skiing all over the mountain, just a bit firm underneath, but enough softening on top to make it fun. No lines anywhere, including the gondi. Today was bitterly cold, cloudy and windy. Super flat light all morning, and by afternoon the crowds had arrived and full mazes were the norm.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  19. #344
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I'll repeat some of what I said earlier and add a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Good perspective LDD. We've been looking to buy/build for a while but i'm pretty confident that if we ain't at the top, it's pretty close...
    Thank you all for some incredibly helpful information.

    At some point in the near future I am planning to build a worksheet that compares the cost of owning vs seasonal lease vs hotel stays. Obviously there is an enormous premium for the luxury and convenience of having your own place, but I am curious to see what that premium works out to be given the current markets. I will share that here in case it may be helpful to anyone here.

  20. #345
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Fkn 60 in bishop. This van guy isn't complaining.

    Where do I go for a solid tune?

    On the hill tomorrow everyday forward. Get in touch to cruise some corn! Word!

  21. #346
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Fkn 60 in bishop. This van guy isn't complaining.

    Where do I go for a solid tune?

    On the hill tomorrow everyday forward. Get in touch to cruise some corn! Word!
    Footloose has worked on my skis a few times - their service staff definitely know what they're doing and have always turned things around quickly. Haven't had any work done at Kittredge but they're also well regarded.

  22. #347
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Thx!

    Prob no reason to be on the hill till 10/11 w the spring refreeze every night. 11-2 should be money.

  23. #348
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Manhattan Beach
    Posts
    1,427
    Can't believe we're gonna have literally zero snow in January after that December but I guess in a La Nina year that was the exception and we're reverting...seems like mid Feb is the earliest for a switch but I hope that's wrong...

  24. #349
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    85$ for a tune at Footloose. Welcome to Cali.

  25. #350
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    30/40$ at the rental place across the street

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •