Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Good perspective LDD. We've been looking to buy/build for a while but i'm pretty confident that if we ain't at the top, it's pretty close.

On the lease front, we are looking at a full-year lease starting in the spring, it used to be you could get the warm months for a rounding error but not so much anymore....That being said the one other great plus of Mammoth if you live <5 hours away is it really is a 4 season get away. Hiking, biking, etc are all on point and there are a ton of good day trips nearby. My good buddy has had his house there for over 20 years and he goes up all the time in off months for a week or so at a time and loves it.

Like all 2nd home options you really gotta get some serious time in for it to make sense. Too many jongs are buying 2nd homes as "investments" where they think it's super easy to rent out to ranos on craiglsist or have zero clue how high the vig is for teh Air BNBs of the world...

Clearly we need some new snow... Possible pattern shift late next week?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

^^ I'm pretty pessimistic until we hit February. Looks like maybe something then, nothing significant but it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Can you squeal like a pig though?
    Did you know Burt Reynolds was originally supposed to be the one who squeals like a pig, and he's like, no, I'm not doing that. Make Ned do it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ I'm pretty pessimistic until we hit February. Looks like maybe something then, nothing significant but it's a start.

Did you know Burt Reynolds was originally supposed to be the one who squeals like a pig, and he's like, no, I'm not doing that. Make Ned do it.
    That would have changed the whole picture

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Jeezuz Christ Mike, skiing with Benny was a blast and the conversation was damn good. So he says shit on the Internets that annoy you, BFD. I hear much stoopider shit from other guys here so lighten up or...

Attachment 402036
    You’d think someone who fat shames the entire country wouldn’t be a pudgy fuck.

about the last thing I want to do is ride chairs with that lot
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Somebody's got too much ass juice in their beards

Beautiful days on the mtn this week. Sun, light winds, no lines, absolutely gorgeous. The wind kicks up and the temps drop down today and tomorrow, then looks like more of the same next week. Then maybe, just maybe, we start to get some precip. Looks like we will be marking a 0 for January though.
    .))
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Good perspective LDD. We've been looking to buy/build for a while but i'm pretty confident that if we ain't at the top, it's pretty close.

On the lease front, we are looking at a full-year lease starting in the spring, it used to be you could get the warm months for a rounding error but not so much anymore....That being said the one other great plus of Mammoth if you live <5 hours away is it really is a 4 season get away. Hiking, biking, etc are all on point and there are a ton of good day trips nearby. My good buddy has had his house there for over 20 years and he goes up all the time in off months for a week or so at a time and loves it.

Like all 2nd home options you really gotta get some serious time in for it to make sense. Too many jongs are buying 2nd homes as "investments" where they think it's super easy to rent out to ranos on craiglsist or have zero clue how high the vig is for teh Air BNBs of the world...
    I agree on all fronts.

Honestly, we probably would not use the place much in the summer. I love the summer surf in Orange County, and after doing the Mammoth drive 10-12 times from November through May I'm usually pretty spent. I hit the wall with the drive sometime in May and just don't want to do it again. During the season I get in the swing of it, but in late spring I just get done with waking up at 4 am. My wife told some friends once that the drive to Mammoth is easy, I said 'yeah, because you sleep in the back with the Occy (our dog) until Bishop

The area is really stunning in the summer. If the drive were only three hours we would probably make a few summer trips. Who knows, if we do buy we might get hooked on the summer stuff.

Our last landlord liked us because we were dependable and kept the place in good shape. If someone does the airbnb thing a lot then the likelihood is that at some point they are going to get a bad renter. He didn't want to deal with that, and his parents had bought the place in the 70's so it was paid off, they just wanted to collect steady money, they didn't want the added cash flow of short term rentals for the added risk. One of my buddies in Newport travels a ton for work and airbnb's his townhome. In May of 2019 he got a call to let him know there was an after-prom party at his place. If you rent things out enough, at some point things will go wrong. I

I should add again that for me this is very much of a first world problem. By definition, what I am doing to enjoy my weekends is discretionary, it is NOT a need. For the people that actually live up there it is a real problem. As of today the only long term rental I can find is a 4k square foot house which is asking 15k a month. That seems a bit out of the budget of most Mammoth locals to say the least. There was one place that was on the rental boards for a while at 2500 per month. It was a 1bd/1bath on old Mammoth that was 700 square feet. I also remember seeing a 2bd/1bath, I think it was on Mono street, that was asking 3k per month. It was furnished but definitely no frills. Ski towns have always been expensive, but the availability has just gone to zero.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Beautiful days on the mtn this week. Sun, light winds, no lines, absolutely gorgeous. The wind kicks up and the temps drop down today and tomorrow, then looks like more of the same next week. Then maybe, just maybe, we start to get some precip. Looks like we will be marking a 0 for January though.
    Think I'm heading down to western Nevada for some January spring skiing and freaks in hot tubs on BLM land.

Can someone post some Mammoth stoke to get those two uggos off the main page?

Sure, how about this uggo along with his badass 61yo Mother? The last time my Mom skied, she was pregnant with me. Yesterday, we skied together for the first time since that day, 35 years ago. The perks of moving here continue to exceed my expectations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220120_202443.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	402219
    .))
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Sure, how about this uggo along with his badass 61yo Mother? The last time my Mom skied, she was pregnant with me. Yesterday, we skied together for the first time since that day, 35 years ago. The perks of moving here continue to exceed my expectations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220120_202443.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	402219
    That’s fucking rad, man!

^Hell yea!

Let’s get another posted cuz they’re still there!

yeah Alex!

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^Hell yea!

Let’s get another posted cuz they’re still there!

looks like a People magazine obituary cover of Louie Anderson and Meatloaf

🤮
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 01-21-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    looks like a People magazine obituary cover of Louie Anderson and Meatloaf

🤮
    Lol!

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was bluebird and warm, great skiing all over the mountain, just a bit firm underneath, but enough softening on top to make it fun. No lines anywhere, including the gondi. Today was bitterly cold, cloudy and windy. Super flat light all morning, and by afternoon the crowds had arrived and full mazes were the norm.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I'll repeat some of what I said earlier and add a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Good perspective LDD. We've been looking to buy/build for a while but i'm pretty confident that if we ain't at the top, it's pretty close...
    Thank you all for some incredibly helpful information.

At some point in the near future I am planning to build a worksheet that compares the cost of owning vs seasonal lease vs hotel stays. Obviously there is an enormous premium for the luxury and convenience of having your own place, but I am curious to see what that premium works out to be given the current markets. I will share that here in case it may be helpful to anyone here.

Fkn 60 in bishop. This van guy isn't complaining.

Where do I go for a solid tune?

On the hill tomorrow everyday forward. Get in touch to cruise some corn! Word!

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Fkn 60 in bishop. This van guy isn't complaining.

Where do I go for a solid tune?

On the hill tomorrow everyday forward. Get in touch to cruise some corn! Word!
    Footloose has worked on my skis a few times - their service staff definitely know what they're doing and have always turned things around quickly. Haven't had any work done at Kittredge but they're also well regarded.

Thx!

Prob no reason to be on the hill till 10/11 w the spring refreeze every night. 11-2 should be money.

Can't believe we're gonna have literally zero snow in January after that December but I guess in a La Nina year that was the exception and we're reverting...seems like mid Feb is the earliest for a switch but I hope that's wrong...

85$ for a tune at Footloose. Welcome to Cali.

30/40$ at the rental place across the street