Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00D92D03-B5A7-4808-A57C-7FEB0A5F4415.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	830.6 KB 
ID:	395220
    Just when you think it can’t get any better, it does! Just got off at the top of Gold Rush & scored a free 2021/2022 beanie. It’s like Christmas came early. 🤙

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

how ‘bout the dude teleing around in an orange and yellow safety speedo?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    how ‘bout the dude teleing around in an orange and yellow safety speedo?
    I didn't see him today. I wonder if it was that local dude that ski's in a speedo, usually shirtless with super leathery skin?

Got back out on the hill Saturday, and even though cars were parked down to the garage it didn't feel as busy as previous weekends. Having chairs 4, 5 & 10 open helped spread out the crowds enough where I never really waited in line all day.

Name:	IMG-0801.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	395310
    Ch 2 skiable to the bottom finally.

Name:	IMG-0800.jpg 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	395311
    Nice to be able to ski down to my truck at the end of the day and avoid taking the parking shuttle.

Name:	IMG-0806.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	395312
    Top of Dave's is bumped out.

Name:	IMG-0808.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	711.6 KB 
ID:	395314
    The sliver of sunlight on Cornice keeps getting less and less as the days continue to shorten.

Name:	IMG-0810.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	631.4 KB 
ID:	395315
    Sunset on the Top at 1:00 pm. Don't know who they were but a couple groups of skiers were charging the Drop Out line yesterday afternoon in less than perfect snow and in dim light. Good job guys.

Name:	IMG-0812.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	395318
    Top of Wipe Out. Hard to believe that I was skiing into it from the top FIVE weeks ago with ZERO rocks.

Name:	IMG-0813.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	395320
    West Bowl with some back lit bumps late in the day. Good snow, just take the time to dial in your line.

Best skiing on the groomed is first thing in the morning when the snow still has some texture to it. Later on sheets of rock hard snow come out as the groomed breaks down. Overall it was a decent day of skiing considering it was a Saturday and the Mtn desperately needs snow. Back out today for the afternoon session.

Nice shots ESS!

We will hopefully be up in close to two weeks. I've been too busy to head up unfortunately. I'm glad you've made good use of the early season snow.

Those bumps are pretty big for Dave's.

Hopefully this pattern changes soon. The rocks up high in Wipeout actually make it look more like it usually does this time of year.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Skied 11:45 a.m. til closing on Sunday under blue skies with winds out of the ENE over the Top gusting to 30+mph. Watched the 1st half of the Chargers game, then headed up and was able to find parking right at ch 2 lot. Way fewer people out on Sunday vs Saturday and after lunch the mtn emptied out fast.

Name:	IMG-0819.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	395507
    View from the Gold Rush chair of ch 5/Solitude at 12:00 p.m. This was the busiest I saw it.

Name:	IMG-0820.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	395508
    No lines at Mid Gondola all afternoon.

Name:	IMG-0823.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	395509
    Had the Gondola to myself almost every time I rode it.

Name:	IMG-0821.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	395510
    Chair 3 on Sunday afternoon. No lines and you could ski right onto the chair.

Name:	IMG-0824.jpg 
Size:	845.3 KB 
ID:	395511
    Climax with low tide conditions. I watched more than a few skiers pick their way thru the mine field for a couple good turns at the bottom. No thanks. I stuck with the better coverage of Dave's, Cornice bowl (skiers left) and the Drop out 2 line.

Just a heads up, as the groomers get skied out, sheets of ice come to the surface in the afternoon. I felt like I needed a world cup slalom ski in order to hold an edge on that shit. My Salomon twin tips weren't cutting it. But overall when considering how badly the mtn needs snow, with the total lack of crowds and "beautiful weather" imo it's still fun to be out on the hill, even if it's just for half a day or so. Beats not skiing. My guess is it's going to be really quiet the next 3 or 4 days. See you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    But overall when considering how badly the mtn needs snow, with the total lack of crowds and "beautiful weather" imo it's still fun to be out on the hill, even if it's just for half a day or so. Beats not skiing. My guess is it's going to be really quiet the next 3 or 4 days. See you out there.
    That's been my philosophy! Been out the past two days as well and looking forward to getting out with the wife today. And then, perhaps, for the next week+, it will snow!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

108, 4 & 89 closing today
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    That's been my philosophy! Been out the past two days as well and looking forward to getting out with the wife today. And then, perhaps, for the next week+, it will snow!
    Alex,
    What’s up dude? I agree 100%. If anything look at current skiing and think of it as “fitness laps.” You’re building your base fitness level so when the day arrives,
    aka “Big Wednesday,” your primed & ready to get after it all day vs done in after a half day cuz you haven’t done shit all winter.

I’m out on the hill lapping the top. Hit me up if you’re around.
    Christian

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm jealous if you guys fitness lapping. My kiddo pulled the plug on making the drive for one day of skiing last weekend. He is wise, I think. But looking at these pics, I think he may be a fool. Either way, we hope to make some turns soon.

I think we are dang lucky to have as much snow up top as we do. It's definitely firm, chalk, but still fun arcing turns! Just don't double eject like I saw a guy do in Drop 1. He ragdolled down the whole thing bouncing off rocks. Woof. Mrs. Comish was then out on Drop 1, although the traverse into 2 from Cornice was still fair game.

When you have 11 lifts open and next to nothing open in the rest of the state I will take it!

Mikey B, good to meet ya! Hope you got some good turns.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Forecast over the next couple of weeks is looking very promising.

Christian - I'll be back out tomorrow.
    .))
    .))

I am praying for an early Christmas present next week. Please O please...
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I am praying for an early Christmas present next week. Please O please...
    I hope so. We're headed down to La Quinta for Christmas with plans to stay and ski in Mammoth on the way back north. Without much new snow, that may not happen. I need to get some snow time camping in with our camper.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Forecast over the next couple of weeks is looking very promising.

Christian - I'll be back out tomorrow.
    My phone started blowing up yesterday with weather alerts and hasn't stopped.

Name:	IMG-0838.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	508.7 KB 
ID:	395772
    Fingers crossed that this comes in and delivers what's forecasted. I'll be out on the hill Wed-Fri for what I'm hoping is my first storm skiing of the season.

O please O please...

Name:  Screenshot 2021-12-08 114556.png
Views: 722
Size:  70.2 KB
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Adding to the hype train, this guy's forecast are usually pretty spot on.

Mammoth Weather Guy

I bought in...hope to be skiing next Wed thru Friday. Do I mount the Protests yet or just bring the Lhasa Fats?

Just dropped some Renegades to get mounted...
    .))
    .))

100%

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Personally I'd take out my old well loved rock skis over the next few weeks. Fresh snow on top of scree usually results in a few nicks and dings from my experience. The 5" that fell last night looks great. Thick and sticky. Have fun out there.

Thrashed them last year, these will have to do

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Ot, by time I show up I am hoping they have 3-4 more feet than yesterday. If I ride new boards will stick to established runs, as I hate getting core shots on new sticks. I still may stick with the Lhasa's
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-12-09 101153.png
Views: 607
Size:  41.1 KB.

I do have a pair of rock boards I can bring with me next time I'm out there for anyone who might want them. Not terribly thrashed, old 186 twin tips. High Society, I think. Just sitting collecting dust. Not as pretty as those above posted skis of course.

Name:	20211205_121846.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	756.0 KB 
ID:	396046

Hell of a backcountry ice season. Now it can snow.

It has been so warm during the days until recently, I am surprised you got a solid freeze on the lakes yet.