Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Bummer Mike. Heal up.

Starting to look the at the Mill. Hope it lasts through Memorial Day. We will be out Sunday through Wednesday, skiing and biking. Me and my mini. Maybe we will find some of ya'll.

I'll be a Mammy with my boys on Memorial Day weekend...starting early. Throw me a shout if you want to down-climb into anything

Same here! In theory ski team has one more camp scheduled. We will see of there is enough snow for hill space. We will be there though. Likely on old skool Legend pros, blue sweet protection helmet.

They really should rename the Spring Skiing Capital

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

Oh, yeah, and the grooming crew would like to remind everyone that they want to go home soon. This was at 2:14, you can see people still coming down:

Anybody have suggestions for some chill touristy hikes that will be melted out next weekend? Generally would be biking or climbing after skiing but the friends I will be with do neither and also have never been to CA before.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Anybody have suggestions for some chill touristy hikes that will be melted out next weekend? Generally would be biking or climbing after skiing but the friends I will be with do neither and also have never been to CA before.
    The walk around Convict Lake is flat and takes a tourist about an hour to circumnavigate

I just did a walk through Panum Crater. Somehow I overlooked it for many years. One of the weirdest places I've ever seen, easy and worth it.

Also Rock Creek is amazing. 168 up to the Whites is huge too, can walk through the Bristlecone Pine forest.

My kid enjoyed Obsidian Dome a few years ago. Short hike. The incline up is decent, but then you just wander around some rocks with views of the crest nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Are they gonna be ok with the altitude?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Thanks for the recs all! Altitude shouldn't be a problem, they're accomplished skiers (way better than me) and used to it's affects, just been trapped in the flatlands the past few years.
    Last edited by davjr96; 05-21-2022 at 04:35 PM.

There's also the trail around the town, it's a nice mellow walk for the afternoon now that the skiing days are short, and you can check out the historic cabin.

I second Obsidian Dome. It doesn't look like much until you hike up into it, then it is a lunar landscape (aside from the odd tree). It is a really cool mix of tuff, pumice and obsidian that you can just wander around in. Get off the road, and you could literally be on the moon.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thinking about Mammoth this weekend for the close, figure I'd sleep in my truck off the scenic loop. Anyone else dirtbagging?

5/27 Edit: Thanks guys, looking at weekend of 6/4 instead.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-28-2022 at 09:02 AM.

fyi

open into June
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yeah, new closing date June 5th. I will be in town 6/1-6/6 for skiing and climbing.

Anybody been up around Lake George? Hoping to do Crystal Crag if the approach is reasonable.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yeah, new closing date June 5th. I will be in town 6/1-6/6 for skiing and climbing.

Anybody been up around Lake George? Hoping to do Crystal Crag if the approach is reasonable.
    A recent report said there is snow on the trail shortly after leaving George on the way to Crystal. Here's a pic from Crystal (not mine).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	281309516_5044894468934425_7091050517097427012_n.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	417424
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Highs in the 30s on the mountain on Sunday? Arghhhhhh

Yeah, we had to throw some warmer clothes in the car.

The lower temperatures are going to mess with the Yacht Club theme for Saturday.

And a wee bit of that famous wind. More like mammoth sailing club.
    666, I'll give you a shout if I end up skiing.

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Forecast out this morning is for a little more warmth. 45F at McCoy on Sunday for a high is much much better.

We will be around Sunday through Tuesday. Skiing Sunday, and likely skiing and biking on Monday and Tuesday. Might even get a lap on the bike in Saturday night after the park closes.

Packing has been fun. Not worried about having our warm day ski clothes with us as much.

The weekend should be fun. Today was surprisingly empty, and the snow was skiing better than I was expecting.

Here's how Stump Alley looked today:

If it gets crowded tomorrow, skiing down Stump Alley is going to be a "fun" challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    The weekend should be fun. Today was surprisingly empty, and the snow was skiing better than I was expecting.

Here's how Stump Alley looked today:

If it gets crowded tomorrow, skiing down Stump Alley is going to be a "fun" challenge.
    Wow!!!

Stump Alley has lost quite a bit of snow since I saw you guys up there!!

Hopefully it will warm up a bit for you guys. I would assume there are still some nice slush turns to be had.

I keep hoping one of you guys will head down to Mule Days and do a trip report......
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

Name:	66790B26-76E1-45B9-A73E-E602D4575E7A.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	505.6 KB 
ID:	417677
    Drove by Mammoth on my way to a fire assignment in AZ on Friday. Pulled over on Dead mans Creek Rd to check out the Mtn.
    Super bummed I’ll be missing closing weekend for the first time in five years.

Name:	24F84699-0714-4B25-B971-480E8E692572.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	417678
    Cool wave clouds over the OV.

Name:	AA97B83D-A4F6-436D-A546-43C3638E8A9B.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	464.8 KB 
ID:	417679
    When possible, always take the road less traveled.
    Arrived in Phoenix where it’s already a pleasant 100 degrees.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 05-30-2022 at 12:11 PM.

ESS, we were talking about the clouds on the way to Mammoth,how the Eastern Sierra gets some pretty cool ones. These are not from this weekend, but recent.

LDD, yeah, the snow melted fast recently! It skied surprisingly well, actually. And it was a fun weekend, with the cardboard boat races, the band playing at the plaza, relatively empty slopes and fun people on the mountain.

We're in Bishop, starting to make our way back, and enjoying some tacos from Mercado Mexico. We'll be back for some hikes over the summer, it'll be fun to be in Bishop for Mule Days. If we do we'll post some photos.