Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    gee

CalTrans has road info?

wow

imagine that

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Heading down to the eastside to visit some friends. I know it’s pretty low tide but was thinking a bike/ski tour mission could be fun but I’m not super familiar with most of the zones. Can anyone point me in the right direction for trailheads/roads to check out based on the current snow levels?

Had a fun day Thursday hooking up with Thefrush and doing laps off the top. In just under 2 hrs we got in 14 runs and 16k vert.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93EC1DAA-B399-48F9-975B-7C456AD39A03.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	393259
    Earlier in the day while the sun was out lower Dropouts had some sweet wind blown snow in them. Chasing Alex I did my 1st non stop top to bottom off 23 this season. Working on the fitness!

Name:	A3B1DC32-537D-4E12-A462-1C359DF8E7E4.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	393260
    The the time I left at 3:00 the light was getting flat and vis was tough up high. Good day of skiing overall.

Name:	B103509C-BA7F-4557-854A-38C245E2C5EA.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	487.5 KB 
ID:	393265
    How rare is this?!? 5:30 pm at Vons and no waiting at any register.
    Winning!

Back out for half a day today then back out Sunday. See you on the Mtn. .

Name:	C0B09967-1B67-4236-BFE5-948C9149F6E5.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	393900
    Welcome to the holidays.

yeah I decided to work the holiday and weekend to avoid that and make some extra cash for when I can enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Name:	C0B09967-1B67-4236-BFE5-948C9149F6E5.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	393900
    Welcome to the holidays.
    I like to see that people having fun and spending money. Keeps the lights on
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

We're here too, with a small group of friends. Two of the group are less experienced and they wanted to warm up on a green run, we took Discovery and that line took forever.

And then we got on chair 1. This may go on the gaper quote thread, one of our less experienced friends said "Oh, shit! This is an actual mountain!" Turns out that she had snowboarded before at her local Wisconsin hill. So it was mostly Broadway and Mambo laps yesterday for us. At one point they wanted to have a hot cocoa, so we peeled off and went to the upper mountain for a few laps and then caught back with them.

It's still fun to be out here!

Blowing snow on Stump Alley:

Skied the past two days. Took one run yesterday morning on my on3p Woodsmans and immediately went back to the car and grabbed Slalom Skis. Fantastic choice. Conditions are firm and crowds are high but skiing is fun. Huge props to the crew for getting things open and chairs spinning. Even though the runs are jam packed the lift lines were minimal (as a single anyway). Tomorrow and beyond is likely to be a complete mess, but I will make the most of it for a few runs at least.

Side note, Cornice Bowl is almost dangerous levels of firm at the entrance. Watching multiple people slide down the whole thing the past few days.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Side note, Cornice Bowl is almost dangerous levels of firm at the entrance. Watching multiple people slide down the whole thing the past few days.
    It's best when they slide far enough Patrol can get them from the top of 3

The snow was better yesterday, but some runs were pretty busy. Chair 4, Rollercoaster was running, and also chair 10, Gold Rush (Solitude had been an oasis away from the crowds but this put an end to it). After our friends called it a day we went for a few laps. Rollercoaster was fun and mostly empty, with good snow through most of the run.

We were going to do a few cool down laps in Saddle Bowl which has had consistently good snow. That was a mess! Lots of people choking the entrance to the gully into the back bowl off chair 3, people falling or stopping in the gully, then going all over the place in the bowl. We just went down Andy's Double Gold and called it a day.

Well, yesterday was even more crowded. One hour for the drive back to town!

We are masochistic and we're heading up the mountain again today.

Our legs are tired, we're probably going to be staying around chairs 4 and 5 to try to avoid the larger crowds. Solitude has some nice, large, soft bumps, I need to practice that.

We should be fairly easy to spot. Come say hi if you see us!

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Saw some boarders yesterday just sit down at the top and plow the first half. I don’t get it. Stuff to skier’s right was much better, very plush. Coverage was thin at times and my bases look pretty scarred —will be picking up some ptex I guess

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    Saw some boarders yesterday just sit down at the top and plow the first half. I don’t get it. Stuff to skier’s right was much better, very plush. Coverage was thin at times and my bases look pretty scarred —will be picking up some ptex I guess
    That’s a smart move compared to just dropping in and going for a ride. When the top of Cornice is like that I’m always thankful to have two sets of edges on my feet vs one.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Haven't been a boarder for quite a while, but seem to recall you have a lot better heel edge control if you keep your butt low but off the ground. Once you plant cheeks on the snow, it's a choppy/erratic ride. (As is staying up too straight and not bending the knees on steep slopes, which might be what those boarders were doing before they sat down.)

What are the odds that Eagle express will be still running mid April? Looking at lodging that can walk to lift, April 10-16.

We lodged over by Eagle last spring. First week of April and it was running. They try to keep it going until Easter typically. It was getting thin-ash last year, but not really. My son and I would enjoy the end of day water skiing slush run back to the base. It was winter up top and very spring down low.

Thinking of making a run with my son for some skiing next Saturday. Do ya'll think it will be smaller crowds, seeing we just had a holiday and there is not really any snow?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Haven't been a boarder for quite a while, but seem to recall you have a lot better heel edge control if you keep your butt low but off the ground. Once you plant cheeks on the snow, it's a choppy/erratic ride. (As is staying up too straight and not bending the knees on steep slopes, which might be what those boarders were doing before they sat down.)
    Not if you have ass crampons.

But yeah, you can't engage an edge while ass on the ground. No leverage. Lean too far back into the hill, and the edge pops out. Kind of like back seat skiing.

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    What are the odds that Eagle express will be still running mid April? Looking at lodging that can walk to lift, April 10-16.

I checked the ski app and as of this past April 5 chairs 9 and 25 were still spinning, but I also seem to remember that it was their last weekend and that skiing was going to be out of Main Lodge and the Mill after that. (Edit: I remember what happened: the following weekend was the last weekend for those chairs, but we were not going to be there, so it was our last ride of the season in them).

Also, I was talking to an old salt from Mammoth this past weekend, and he was saying that anecdotically, large snow dumps in October (like what we had) mean a dry spell after and a short snow season.

So, mid April may not be good for skiing out of Eagle. This, of course, is mere speculation on my part.

Skied Sunday & yesterday. Man did we get lucky with those early season storms and the recent cold nights allowing them to blow snow. Still decent skiing to be had across the mountain but the sharks are really starting to come out.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Thanks for the Eagle lodge info guys, perhaps that is why prices are slightly reasonable.
    Looks like they kept both open until April 28 in 2019, so I might roll the dice. I would fine walking back if bottom half of eagle is melted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Also, I was talking to an old salt from Mammoth this past weekend, and he was saying that anecdotically, large snow dumps in October (like what we had) mean a dry spell after and a short snow season.

So, mid April may not be good for skiing out of Eagle. This, of course, is mere speculation on my part.
    Looking at the below history, there is little evidence to support his comment. But with last season in mind I am not real optimistic.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-12-01 121014.png
Views: 728
Size:  23.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-12-01 121103.png
Views: 644
Size:  29.9 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-12-01 121214.png
Views: 643
Size:  19.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

how dare you fuck up someone’s opinion with data

Right? I hate those guys...
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

fkn truth sharing A holes

Oh, this is great information! Thanks!! Yeah, it's always much better to go with actual information than with someone's perception.