Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    120 a night at Mammoth RV park for a 28 foot class c. Skiing is done. All about maximizing profits, from ski rentals to selling the dream. I haven't set foot on the resort in over 5 years. The resort and town government suck. The community and mountains never change.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    The community and mountains never change.
    Not entirely true . . .

"
    6PaleoclimatePaleoclimatic data for the region have been compiled and summarized by Mehringer (1986), Bettinger (1982a), and Skinner et al. (1990). Between 12,000 and 10,000 years ago, the Great Basin underwent rapid climatic changes: as alpine glaciers retreated, lakes shrank, and the distribution of plants and animals shifted to higher elevations (Mehringer 1986). From 10,000 to 8,000 years ago, there was a warming trend in theBasin; Mehringer postulates that this warming trend continued, reducing the effective moisture through 5000B.P., while Bettinger postulates a cool and wet period until 5000 B.P. From 5000 B.P. until sometime around3000 B.P., the hot and dry conditions of the Altithermal prevailed. Rapid cooling beginning about 3000 B.P. led to a moderately cool and wet period that lasted until about 2000 B.P. Warm and dry periods that occurred about 2000 B.P. and again from about 1100 to 750 B.P. may have had significant effects on prehistoric subsistence patterns in the Mammoth Lakes area. Shifts to warmer temperatures and less precipitation would make high elevation areas and usually-wet meadows more habitable. Even more dramatic environmental change in the Long Valley area could have been caused by recurrent volcanism. Twenty eruptions at Mono Craters have been dated to within the last 10,000 years through either radiocarbon or obsidian hydration analysis (Wood 1984). Two extensive pumice deposits which blanket much of the eastern Sierra region have been dated to 640 and 1190 years B.P. (Wood 1977a,b). Hall (1983, 1984)hypothesizes that recurrent eruptions in the Inyo-Mono volcanic chain may have altered the region’s plant, animal, and water resources drastically enough to curtail use of the area for at least short periods of time"

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    120 a night at Mammoth RV park for a 28 foot class c.
    #Vanlifers getting all frothy over that one….

Also, you can stay in June Lake in a motel with heat and a private bathroom for a little more than that.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

It was 80 a night way down at Boulder Creek, almost to Olancha, 7 years ago. It's the Owens Valley. It's expensive. Two bucks a night at The Pit . . .

20 min down the rd, blm free land. naked, hot as fuck,chicks everynight in the free hot tubs. basically free skiing all season long(ikon-650$, ski everywhere, basically free)(mammoth has been open since october)

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    20 min down the rd, blm free land. naked, hot as fuck,chicks everynight in the free hot tubs. basically free skiing all season long(ikon-650$, ski everywhere, basically free)(mammoth has been open since october)
    The hot springs used to be good, till someone wrote a guidebook to them (and of course, later there was the internet) and people got the idea they could camp next to the pools instead of treating them like a shared resource. And during the covid days, people really abused the hell out of the public land. The place needs a long rest, or an earthquake just south of Olancha that cuts off access from the south.

I agree it's a shit show at the tubs.

This season I've been completely avoiding the traffic, popular times, weekends etc.

Get up hell early, at the hill at 7/730. Midweek only. Out of there early.

Weekends rest day, or Nordic/bc away from any popular areas.

Wherever there is a ton of traffic, parking fuckshow, liftlines, etc.. I am not.

Are those Mammoth RV Park fees for full hook ups? Back in the day we parked our trailer there and just had 110 electric...worked fine and cheap. Shower and bathrooms at the pool, access to laundry, etc. Short walk to red line, but on holidays getting on the bus was a challenge.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Are those Mammoth RV Park fees for full hook ups? Back in the day we parked our trailer there and just had 110 electric...worked fine and cheap. Shower and bathrooms at the pool, access to laundry, etc. Short walk to red line, but on holidays getting on the bus was a challenge.
    I paid $65/night over Christmas and then went the week after New Years and they jacked the price up to $125 I think. Electric hook ups only with the nice heated bathrooms. One hydrant for water fills and I think their dump station was open (don’t need that in a sprinter). They are the best option if you are in town during a storm.

Sure the tubs and BLM ground are options if the roads are reasonably clear. The tubs were disgustingly overrun last year. The rocks at the parking lot turned into a toilet paper repository and straight up nasty situation. Pleasant valley is great, not busy and $14/night if you can make the commute.

A bit disappointed in the jacking of prices but it was the market bears and I have to own the fact I paid the price. The alternative was $300+/night or more. We had friends paying $900/night that week in snow creek .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Oh, and join a ski club. Many has discount lodging and bus trips regularly.
    It's amazing the quality of beds the ski club I belong to off and on gets for very fairly priced weeks. The Huntley at Big Sky, ski in and out condos at Taos, a really nice hotel in Val d'Siere with awesome food. Ad to that the convenience of just showing up and transport to the hotel is arranged, and it's a great deal. If you like the people you're travelling with.

the thing is nobody here wants to room with you

or ski with you as far as I can tell
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

You definitely have to go to the hot springs a little more off the beaten path these days. Agree that last season the obvious go-to's were a complete shit show... or at least they were in March.

Mammoth probably has more ski clubs than most resorts with lots of groups making the trek from SoCal. Have a few friends down that way who have been doing this for years and it really cuts down on the cost.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    the thing is nobody here wants to room with you

or ski with you as far as I can tell
    Jeezuz Christ Mike, skiing with Benny was a blast and the conversation was damn good. So he says shit on the Internets that annoy you, BFD. I hear much stoopider shit from other guys here so lighten up or...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0930 (002).jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	402036
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Jeezuz Christ Mike, skiing with Benny was a blast and the conversation was damn good. So he says shit on the Internets that annoy you, BFD. I hear much stoopider shit from other guys here so lighten up or...

I thought Ned Beatty was dead

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I am disappointed at the lack of beards. Its not the 80's anymore, guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Chicks hate facial hair, in case you haven't heard.

Chicks? Ha!
    Like I said, ain't the 80s anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Chicks hate facial hair, in case you haven't heard.
    Not the ones under 45…
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

My girl is over 45 and I think beards look like shit for the most part, but you youngsters feel free to follow the herd.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjax View Post
    New member here. I live in Southern CA and ski Mammoth most of the days I am able to get on skis. I am not the ripper that most on the forum are, but I love it and am always trying to figure out ways to increase the number of days on hill. As of late, I am getting around 20 days a season but what's holding me back more than anything is cost.

I was wondering what regular mammoth skiers here do about lodging costs. From people that I've met along the way that get a lot of days in: some work/live in Mammoth, some live outside Mammoth and are wealthy and have their own place in Mammoth, some have a van/rv and camp. For those people who are not wealthy and camp/RV/hostel is not an option, what do you all do? And how do you do it without hurting the town of Mammoth and its workers? I have been doing a mix of hotels and condo rentals, but it's crazy expensive and now I'm seeing that condo rentals may not be the best for those that live/work in Mammoth.
    I'll repeat some of what I said earlier and add a bit.

We have been doing the ski lease thing since December 2007, until this year when the place we have rented for the last few years was sold, and we couldn't find a new one.

A ski lease is a great option if you can find one. The most important thing is to get a good group of people together. Everyone has to be on the same page and want to do things the same way. If some people are difficult...That is tough. If everyone is reasonable things tend to work well.

My first year the owner of the place, it was four bedrooms, had two bunks in each room, so 16 beds total. There were a few people living at the place, and then a few ski lease weekenders like us. It was pretty messy, but livable. Then, the owner went on a trip to Europe for a few weeks. He came back and brought about 8 Danish kids who had just finished college to live at the place. It was so messy and cluttered that it brought back college living. On the positive side, my wife, who I started dating in January of 2008, put up with it very well. One of the ways I knew she was a keeper.

In early April the Danish kids left, to the last month was mellow again. The owner apologized to me, he said the guy he owned the house with wasn't paying his part of the mortgage so he was struggling to cover expenses.

In the summer of 2008 I responded to a post on here about a ski lease in Mammoth. One of the guys put it together, which was great. We rented to three bed/2 bath place on old Mammoth road, close to the Snowcreek Athletic Club, for two years. I think we had 6 couples, which worked out well.

In 2010 the couple that was organizing things decided to buy a place, which was awesome. They're great people and we had a really good group. The bought a place in the Woodlands, on Chateau and Azimuth, which was 2 bed + loft and two bath. It was a really great situation for 5 years, then they decided to move out of the LA area and sell the place, which I certainly can't blame them for doing. Obviously that was a great setup, we had a good group and everything was easy for me, just pay 400 a month from Nov 1 and May 31 and use it whenever you want.

After they sold it the lease continued. We had one winter where we rented a 3 bedroom place in Snowcreek, which was great, then that place got rented for a full year, so we had to find another place.

For the last 5 years we have had a 2bd/2bath place in the Tyrolian Village. It was far from fancy, but it worked well for us. We have had 4 couples, at least until last year when we had 3, and it was 450 a month plus utilities per couple when we had 4. It was a great setup, and we had a terrific relationship with the landlord. Then they sold it this fall, and we have thus far been out of luck.

The last two places we found on either The Sheet, or the Mammoth Times Classifieds, as I recall. I don't remember for sure. Those seem to have limited offerings right now. Everything available for long term rental has been more along the lines of Zillow.

Honestly, I didn't get going on this early enough this fall. I probably should have contacted a real estate agent earlier in the fall, to see if anything was available. We really were not sure if the place was going to be sold, so we held out.

In the early days of doing this the problem was finding places that didn't want a full year lease. Now, the long term rentals of any type seem to be practically unavailable. There is just nothing like that on the market. We were very lucky the last 5 years, we had a great landlord who always wanted to rent to our group in the winter, but obviously that is no longer the case. In the years before that it was awesome to have our friends be our landlords, I probably didn't appreciate what we had until now, when I actually have to plan things.

We've only done two 3 day trips this year. One we stayed at the Cinnamon Bear Inn, the other was only me so I stayed down in Bishop. Thankfully Mt. Baldy has been great the last few weeks. Baldy has coverage, so I should get a good number of days this season even with the difficulty of actually planning my Mammoth trip.

We're not sure what we are going to do in the future. This situation is pushing us in the direction of buying a place. I don't think it is the right time for that, but we want to keep going to Mammoth for the next 30 or 40 years, so it might not make sense to try to time the market too much. Back when I bought in Orange County in 2016 I assumed things were going to level off within a year or two. Obviously I was wrong. I would have loved to buy the place our old friends/landlords sold when they moved, it has literally doubled in value, but at that time we were looking to buy in Orange County and we needed to take care of that first. I do wish we had bought in Mammoth a couple of years ago, but I don't have a time machine.

It is possible that if we don't buy we will be able to find a place to ski lease next summer or fall, but we can't count on that, which is pushing us in the direction of buying.

We are probably going to do some weekends where we rent a condo with some friends. Weekends where I don't go with my wife, she comes with me about 60% of the time, I will probably get a hotel in Bishop, possibly with one of my buddies.

It would be really nice if Bishop had the super inexpensive options of Reno, i.e. you could motel 6 it for 50 or 60 bucks a night on the weekends and pay more for something better if you wanted to, but motel 6 is even pricey in Bishop on the weekends.

I wish I could give better advice, but I don't see any esoteric methodology of making Mammoth cheap if you go regularly on weekends.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

My girl is over 45 and I think beards look like shit for the most part, but you youngsters feel free to follow the herd.
    Can you squeal like a pig though?

There has never been a reason to, but you do you dood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjax View Post
    New member here ...
    For those people who are not wealthy and camp/RV/hostel is not an option, what do you all do? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    One we stayed at the Cinnamon Bear Inn, the other was only me so I stayed down in Bishop.
    We're not sure what we are going to do in the future. This situation is pushing us in the direction of buying a place. ...

We also really like the Cinnamon Bear Inn, really great place (although I heard a rumor that it was recently sold, so my pessimistic side thinks that a couple of things will be changed, it will be called a "boutique hotel" and prices will go up).

Late season prices go down all over town to more reasonable levels, so one way to keep costs down is to ski like crazy in the very early and late seasons. Also, camping on public land when the weather is good.

But yeah, we also looked into a ski lease this year without any luck (I asked LDD how he did it and he shared his troubles with this search early on). We try to avoid going on big weekends, and if we can, we prefer midweek skiing, but every trip means a lot of time looking for good lodging options.

We also want to keep skiing in Mammoth in the long term without it being a chore to try to figure out where to stay and when can we go, so buying is in our radar as well -- but of course, this won't help the housing market.
    Last edited by Fofo; 01-20-2022 at 05:08 PM.

There has never been a reason to, but you do you dood.
    I’m just flipping you shit man. I’m assuming you’re the Ned Beatty doppelgänger?

Ned Beatty doppelgänger? Shit, next time I better bring a professional photographer with me.