Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    "Cozy cottage. Mountain views. Ski in, ski out. Sleeps 3. $1500/month"

ESS, cool find!

LDD, sounds like you had a blast, that's great. I wonder if they'll extend the season?

Comish, so sorry to hear about little Comish, as Liv2ski said, the good thing is that kids recover quickly. (I do miss that!).
    Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it is already to Memorial Day.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Any mammoth mags interested in some 184 Wren 96 TIs? There’s a chance I’ll be passing through on either Friday or Sunday and would be happy to drop off.

Can sell with or without bindings. Would love to make some turns if I end up making it through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D0ECC8C-A2C5-4C16-A6DD-E4969D7D78DE.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	414636
    Anyone riding on Canyon Express prior to its closing happen to notice these marks on trees off of the right side of the chair line running from the bottom to top? My understanding is that’s where the “new” chair 16 line is going to be put in. Two year process with the footings and possibly towers going in this summer, cables and chairs in the summer of 2023.

I wonder they are setting a new line and making a two year project. Did the set backs on the Palisades/AM Gondi help then decide to run it over two summers? Fear of losing a bike park lift they only run on weekends? Seems line a line shifted to the right does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I wonder they are setting a new line and making a two year project. Did the set backs on the Palisades/AM Gondi help then decide to run it over two summers? Fear of losing a bike park lift they only run on weekends? Seems line a line shifted to the right does the same thing.
    The rumor is, and this is no joke, is that the White Bark Pine is soon to be listed on the endangered species act. Meaning it can’t be cut. That makes any expansion at many ski areas difficult to not going to happen. So if there is “logging” to be done, do it now as soon it may not be possible.

From what I heard, the new Ch 16 top shack will be located downhill from its current location, more towards the top of Roller Coaster Express area. That takes it out of potential AC issues, ie the chair could still run if AC work was being done in the avi chutes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^okay, that would be a plus. Its not like that extra elevation gets you any where there than a high traverse under 5 on a storm day when 5 is not running. Even then, you typically need to schuss down below the trees and lose that vert any way.

Also makes sense on th blogging efforts in effect at AM, as per their blog.

OPERATIONS UPDATE! Starting Monday, 5/2, operating hours will change to 7:30AM-3PM daily. Lifts in operation next week: Broadway (1), Stump Alley (2), Face Lift (3), High Five (5), Unbound (6), Discovery (11), Chair 23, and the Panorama Gondola to the summit.

We will be open daily for skiing and riding until Memorial Day, 5/30.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

My understanding is that the lift companies were too busy to get it done in 1 summer by the time they signed the deal. It's related to all the lifts that got postponed during the first year of Covid and the staffing challenges everyone is facing, including lift manufacturers.

Sucks, Ch1 really needs to go... I sat on it for an hour in 60+ mile an hour winds about 10 days ago before it shut down for the day. Mini Comish has been roped down from Ch1, luckily on a blue bird no wind day.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Coming to Mammoth. Poked at the Mill likely, Will be dressed in all blue. Hoping it softens up nicely. Looks a good bit chillier than today.

Well, that was good. Skied well all day. Headed on a route up 2 to 3 to 23. The top three turns off cornice was like a wintery groomer. Insanely good. Then I hit the refrozen stuff. Decided to work my way over to Roller Coaster. Low and in the sun was soft and fast early. Worked that zone and then hit Lost in the Woods followed by Wall Street. It was fun poking around a zone I'm not in often. By then the race course was being removed from Solitude and hit that twice from he top of the course. I was the first in for the first lap and it was corny goodness. Worked my way back to 3/23 and lapped the groomers there. By noon, the off piste started to loosen up. A lap down the lift line of 5 and back to the Mill to switch to a fatter ski. Drop Outs and Wipe Outs skied the best. Daves was decent, but thick. Climax for sure needs more skier traffic. Did not venture to the Noids. Even the run outs down low were not too sticky at 3:30. Perfect day with the wind and cloud cover. It was gorgeous out there.
    Last edited by Ottime; 04-30-2022 at 09:22 PM.

Saturday was a mixed bag of skiing. Sun was in and out at times due to some "T" storm build up, and as the humidity went up late in the day the snow got really sticky in places. But overall it wasn't to bad of a day.

Name:	IMG-2231.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	414952
    Clouds were in and out for most of the afternoon.

Name:	IMG-2232.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	854.7 KB 
ID:	414953
    Lapped 23 for much of the day. Cornice skied well early.

Name:	IMG-2233.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	723.3 KB 
ID:	414954
    Afternoon buildup over Ritter and Banner.

Name:	IMG-2248.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	454.6 KB 
ID:	414955
    Scored some fresh mank after skiing P1 and cutting under Phillip's.

Name:	IMG-2235.jpg 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	414956
    Climax with great coverage right now. Snow was a mix of chunky bumps and untracked slush under Balls.

Name:	IMG-2237.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	414957
    Chair 5 skied well til closing with hardly anyone on it.

Name:	IMG-2238.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	414958
    Last run off ch 5 looking South.

Super windy last night and the mtn web site says to expect wind holds today. I'll be heading up shortly.

Nice shots ESS!

How was P1?

One of the great parts of the improvement on the conditions from the April storms is that the Paranoids are in play again. They might be my favorite section of the mountain. Back in late December, before the massive storm, I got some great lines down P3 in classic windbuff. After the huge slide pretty much ruined that zone I had stayed away since then. They were absolutely insane last Friday, and I'm figuring they should have some good turns this spring.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Nice shots ESS!

How was P1?

One of the great parts of the improvement on the conditions from the April storms is that the Paranoids are in play again. They might be my favorite section of the mountain. Back in late December, before the massive storm, I got some great lines down P3 in classic windbuff. After the huge slide pretty much ruined that zone I had stayed away since then. They were absolutely insane last Friday, and I'm figuring they should have some good turns this spring.
    Just did a run down P1. Entrance is way easier than it was a month ago. The snow is ok, thick in spots. Definitely a challenge at times to stay centered and keep linking short turns. Overall, today is much better than yesterday. Hard freeze last night sucked some of the water out of the snow and it’s skiing faster without yesterdays sticky late afternoon snow.

Name:	D1E3323A-C979-49E8-AF80-2AA077740A7E.jpg 
Size:	551.4 KB 
ID:	415019
    Hero carving snow today.

Did the north facing, not in the sun are all, snow get soft on Saturday or Sunday?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Just did a run down P1. Entrance is way easier than it was a month ago. The snow is ok, thick in spots. Definitely a challenge at times to stay centered and keep linking short turns. Overall, today is much better than yesterday. Hard freeze last night sucked some of the water out of the snow and it’s skiing faster without yesterdays sticky late afternoon snow.

Name:	D1E3323A-C979-49E8-AF80-2AA077740A7E.jpg 
Size:	551.4 KB 
ID:	415019
    Hero carving snow today.

Thanks for the report!

I'm pretty slammed until the middle of May, but I'm hoping for one more trip.

I really love the noids when the entrances are nice and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Did the north facing, not in the sun are all, snow get soft on Saturday or Sunday?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    I found most everything was soft by 2pm on Saturday. Even with the winds and clouds. Not sure if there is anything completely put of the sun all day at this point. I imagine Sunday was a bit firmer and maybe stayed firm in the "shade" up high. A s a note, Kirkwood was soft-is in the shade Sunday afternoon. More like a thin breakable crust over wet snow.

I also did not run into the mank that ESS found on Saturday. Maybe it was not a super hard refreeze Friday night, but my early runs out of Main were firm enough for me to go check out Roller Coaster early. The groomers down to the Mill from over there were plenty fast around 10am, even the return from Lost in the Woods. I did find a few sticky spots late, but there were not common - but I did avoid going over to the Noids, which looked a bit more manky.

One highlight of the day was the astronaut, giraffe and pickle getting on the gondola from mid station. A group of stoked kids playing G.N.A.R. as part of a team. Fun chatting with them and seeing their group have some serious spring time fun. Another highlight was skiing mach looney down Saddle Bowl late just before closing. Got in 3 laps. Fast, and my old Wrens were cutting through everything like warm butter.

Might get back for Memorial Day and the day before. Making plans with the kid for a bike and ski trip.

We had a quick trip, skied yesterday and today. Yesterday was great, skied well till the end. Today was stickier, slushier and with strong winds, but still fun.

Back to end of season operations, with chairs 1, 6, 2, 3, 23 and the gondola running.

Cool photos, ESS, and thank you for the explanation on the sticky snow with higher humidity, I learned something today.

LDD, I hope that you can squeeze in one more trip before the season is over!

Ottime, yeah, today was pretty empty and we finished with fast laps on chair 3, and when we skied back to the car at the Mill we had Stump Alley entirely to ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post

Cool photos, ESS, and thank you for the explanation on the sticky snow with higher humidity, I learned something today.
    Saturday afternoon was a mix of clouds, sun and winds that kept the temp down. But from noon on the snow really changed and in places got really sticky. I checked the patrol web site and noticed the humidity level riding from 40% at noon to 90% by 3:00 pm along with the thunderstorms developing. The snowpack got saturated with water and created some big suction issues.

Sunday that wasn’t an issue. Winds blew all night and into the early part of the day. At 10:00 am Sunday only ch 11 & ch 4 we’re running. I drove up to the Ch 4 parking lot, saw the crowds and turned around. Went back up at 11:30 am. Less wind and less people. Turned into a really fun day.

Name:	33EDA6B1-47CE-46DA-BA66-D13444CBFEEB.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	516.5 KB 
ID:	415159
    Ch 3 at 12:00 pm had just opened. A cold night plus the winds dried out the snow and the groomers were fast, smooth and very carvable.

Name:	A505E4CA-A592-445F-87E2-5B59A9317BDA.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	415160
    12:15 pm Sunday. Top still hadn’t opened but it was getting close.
    Cornice was looking good.

It’sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	237F204A-A113-4EA6-98CE-F48AFADA62ED.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	415161
    From the back of ch 3 I went Saddle Bowl to World Cup into the ch 23 line. Waited 10 minutes and 23 opened at about 12:30 pm Sunday.

Name:	82EB1C13-F052-4D7F-B1D5-62F7DBCF56F8.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	453.3 KB 
ID:	415162
    12:45 pm Sunday after 1st run down Cornice. I was the 2nd or 3rd skier into Cornice. Super fun. Snapped a quick pick at the bottom. Note lack of people. Love it when the skiing gets better as the Mtn empty’s out. Lapped the Mtn til 4:00.

Name:	F97959AF-3E7F-4570-BBAE-6DEAF78EE6AE.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	672.8 KB 
ID:	415163
    Booted up to the top of ch 22 for my last run and skied Avi 2.
    Snow was meh.

Name:	BF0EA6CC-2EF8-47C9-900D-E624009088EF.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	754.7 KB 
ID:	415164
    The avi 2 bowl was better. Sunday exceeded my expectations for sure.

Back at work now as fire season is ramping up quickly. We have two engines out already, one on AZ, one in NM at the Calf Canyon fire which made a 30,000 acre run Sunday and is now over 100k acres.
    It’s only the 1st week of May and the fuels in the South West are cured out and burning hot. Pray for an early and big Monson season.

Thanks for the info, I'm planning on being there next week for BC and some lift riding

Best of luck with fire season, thanks for your work and stay safe!

Mammoth Maggots, slim chance I know, but if anyone stumbles upon a ski lease for next season and needs a room mate or two, I would be very interested in joining. Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Mammoth Maggots, slim chance I know, but if anyone stumbles upon a ski lease for next season and needs a room mate or two, I would be very interested in joining. Thx
    Will definitely keep you, and others here, in mind.

Of course, first we actually have to find another place!

I'm going to get on it earlier this summer. Last year I think we were holding out hope (and I know this is wrong) that the place we had been in wouldn't sell. My wife and I certainly thought it was overpriced. It ended up selling very fast for pretty close to full asking. Shows you how much we knew

I'm going to contact the realtors quite a bit earlier this year. I've had some tell me they will reach out to their clients to see if they want a long term tenant. We will see.

Long term rentals were basically non-existent last fall. We tried when one would come online, but it simply didn't happen. It was the first time since 06/07 that I haven't had a ski lease. Thankfully Baldy was great this year. We ended up getting some good Mammoth trips, four 3-day trips and two 4 day trips, mostly mid-week, but it does suck not having a lease.

Unfortunately the prices people have been paying for real estate up there makes it tough to rent long term. They need the money from short term rentals to pay those mortgages. It really sucks for the locals. For us it is a nuisance, for them it is worse. We have been lucky, for the last 5 winters we have had the same place. It was purchased in the 70s, so the owner just wanted steady income without the headache of short term rentals. Before that we had friends who owned a place for 6 years. They decided to move and sold it. It has more than doubled in value. Prices right now are just nuts.

I will say that I have really liked the Cinnamon Bear Inn and the Mammoth Inn this year. Small places with good locations and reasonable prices.

I also like the Cinnamon Bear Inn. If it comes to it I was going to ask them what price we could work out for x amount of mid week days.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I also like the Cinnamon Bear Inn. If it comes to it I was going to ask them what price we could work out for x amount of mid week days.
    I'm considering something like that with them, or with the Mammoth Inn.

My schedule is pretty flexible, so I can often get more work done on weekends in return for getting in some mid-week days.

Mammoth Maggots! I'm in the area till Friday. Staying in town tonight (Tuesday) then probably camping up in June Lk. Mostly backcountry skiing (well, meadow skipping today and Wed until this shit clears out). PM if you want to ski or meet up.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Mammoth Maggots! I'm in the area till Friday. Staying in town tonight (Tuesday) then probably camping up in June Lk. Mostly backcountry skiing (well, meadow skipping today and Wed until this shit clears out). PM if you want to ski or meet up.
    How was today?

I saw a photo on Mammoth Snowman of some turns in the noids that looked fun. This storm came in better than expected.

I'm going up Sunday morning and skiing Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully some of the crew will be around.

Yep, definitely better than expected. Got the call from Vets so bagged the BC and did lift served. Wise choice given the complete lack of crowds, partly cloudy skies, cold temps and 4" new. You would still scrape the frozen snow below but there were a few places where it definitely drifted deeper.

Vets in the apron below Philippes

Name:	mammoth.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	416058
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying