Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Glad I got so many good days in Dec/Jan cause this stretch has been brutes....forecast looks dry & warm. Probably get one last foot + storm in late March but this could be almost as bad as 14/15. Might have to plead with the Wife to get her tits up on the Ullr thread in the Padded Room....

Hey, it's not all bad if your wife has cans worth posting. I am up here for the month working on my lack of skilz so I will be ready for next season. But ya, tough year for sure. Hard to stay motivated.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

While not ideal, there is still plenty of good skiing to be had. I am heading up 3-10 for a few days. I had fun two weekends ago, aside from a long slide on Dave's due to lazy skiing.

Pro tip: with these firm conditions pay extra attention on anything steep. The slightest bobble can lead to serious consequences if there is anything below.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Yup, I was day dreaming and went for a short slide down Blue Jay That was a first in a longtime.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

El Chup is the winner

Mammoth mags, I have a studio (fits 2 people) in Mammoth for the month of March and doubt I will be here the whole month. Thinking of leaving on the 26th, so if you would like to stay here, won't fuck anything up to get me in trouble, send me a pm.
    If a storm pops up between the 26th and 31st I will be staying as a FYI, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.
    Last edited by liv2ski; 03-13-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Mammoth mags, I have a studio (fits 2 people) in Mammoth for the month of March and doubt I will be here the whole month. Thinking of leaving on the 26th, so if you would like to stay here, won't fuck anything up to get me in trouble, send me a pm.
    If a storm pops up between the 26th and 31st I will be staying as a FYI, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.
    Generous offer! I'm not in Mammoth, but was thinking of coming down during that time, so... PM incoming.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yesterday was a bust. 118.4mph wind gust was the highest I saw, but consistently over 100mph on the summit. Did a couple of runs on Canyon and traversed in under avi chutes for a couple of fun turns, but most everything else was stripped.

Today could be nice wind buff, or stripped to ice.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

We'll find out, but I am thinking the entrances are stripped ice and the buff starts about 50' or so feet down the run. Think I will skip the top until the weather softness stuff up.

Today was a blast! Linked up with WhetherMan and found excellent snow in Dropouts, Climax, & West Bowl. Wipeouts was fun but a little more firm and a little less fluff. Had only planned to ski for 2-3 hours, ended up skiing til close. Tomorrow looks gloomy and blustery again.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Yup, I was really pleasantly surprised by snow that was like skiing on sugar when I traversed into the Dropout Chutes. The snow was honestly really fun early on everywhere, but by noon you had to stay higher. My legs are still toast after 4-5 hours, so I called it at 2pm.

Sunday apparently had gusts to 150mph at Ch1!?!? Let's just say the U12 Super G didn't happen.

Saturday afternoon the Drop Out's got pretty tasty wind buffage. Was hoping for more yesterday. Not as good, but there was 1 vein down the Drop Out's that was still pretty soft. Did a few laps there in between watching the Comish Twins in Super G. Top is fine. Chalky bumps. No ice on Drop Out.

To the above question about how long will it last, was talking to a Race Dept. guy. He is thinking Memorial Day, but who knows. We talked about how some areas (Gremlins) don't have a lot of snow, but others (St. Anton, Saddle Bowl) do. Weird year and I think with some farming they will make May work, but cat crew has their work cut out for them pushing snow around.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Sunday apparently had gusts to 150mph at Ch1!?!? Let's just say the U12 Super G didn't happen.

Saturday afternoon the Drop Out's got pretty tasty wind buffage. Was hoping for more yesterday. Not as good, but there was 1 vein down the Drop Out's that was still pretty soft. Did a few laps there in between watching the Comish Twins in Super G. Top is fine. Chalky bumps. No ice on Drop Out.

To the above question about how long will it last, was talking to a Race Dept. guy. He is thinking Memorial Day, but who knows. We talked about how some areas (Gremlins) don't have a lot of snow, but others (St. Anton, Saddle Bowl) do. Weird year and I think with some farming they will make May work, but cat crew has their work cut out for them pushing snow around.
    Good info - thanks Comish!

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

I have scars from mammoth salt on both inside elbows. From when I was like 12. I even remember the actual run, where center bowl/exhibition turned left and went under the old chair 3 near the bottom. Memorial Day weekend. Short sleeves.

Hi Mammoth thread

I was en route, southbound, with my man to his aunt's 100th bday party. Unfortunately, now it's become a funeral a week later (RIP Vicky, ya hellion. I hope they don't cancel the mariachi band.)

We stopped in Tahoe for a couple days and are planning on the fly to kill a couple more days at June/Mammoth.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a motel or if yall got a spot or a hack in mind like, "Oh yeah, if I had to get a room, I'd stay there. Clearly the best value".

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

While I'm here asking questions, what's THE" notorious bump run there?

Once upon a time, I was the brattiest mogul girl on Mary Jane, and I'd like to ride a horrifying bump run like 20x until I can't walk.

Thanks!

Many lines on Lincoln for the past few months! That's where I go to be humbled.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by larilinesign View Post
    While I'm here asking questions, what's THE" notorious bump run there?

Once upon a time, I was the brattiest mogul girl on Mary Jane, and I'd like to ride a horrifying bump run like 20x until I can't walk.

Thanks!

Thank god, no where!

Thanks to our lovely wind, which can be hurricane like, we really don't have great bump skiing. Certainly no where near MJ's epic bumps. Palisades had significantly more bumps relative to Mammoth, at least 10 days ago.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Thank god, no where!

Thanks to our lovely wind, which can be hurricane like, we really don't have great bump skiing. Certainly no where near MJ's epic bumps. Palisades had significantly more bumps relative to Mammoth, at least 10 days ago.
    This.

The wind really tends to smooth things up, which I like.

I did my ski bum years at Palisades (still getting used to saying that) and it is a much bumpier place. That being said, Palisades has lots of areas that get smoothed, or don't get as much traffic and don't get too bumped out. You learn where to go. But overall Palisades is simply a much bumpier mountain.

Mammoth is about windbuff steeps, not bumps.

As far as cheaper places to stay, I would try Bishop, or possibly June Lake.

I might try the June Lake Villager. The prices seem reasonable.

https://www.junelakevillager.com/

I have stayed at, and like, both the Cinnamon Bear Inn and the Mammoth Inn. Both are small bed and breakfast places.

https://www.cinnamonbearinn.com/
    https://www.themammothinn.com/

I really like both of those places, and they are reasonable...For Mammoth.

You could also stay in Bishop if you want cheaper lodging.

I don't know Mammoth lodging all that well, we've have a ski lease for the last 14 years. Unfortunately the guy sold it, so we have to actually plan things again, which sucks! We've been spoiled for a while.

But I do like both of those places.

I have never actually stayed at the June Lake Villager.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Not sure what these folks are talking about. Just look around, you'll see the bumps.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

My favorite bump runs (maybe not the case these days) were dry creek, west bowl, lower shaft, and lower grizzly.

I figured out how to ski bumps one spring at snowmass and ajax. I’ve never experienced bumps in mammoth like those.

Quote Originally Posted by larilinesign View Post
    Hi Mammoth thread

I was en route, southbound, with my man to his aunt's 100th bday party. Unfortunately, now it's become a funeral a week later (RIP Vicky, ya hellion. I hope they don't cancel the mariachi band.)

We stopped in Tahoe for a couple days and are planning on the fly to kill a couple more days at June/Mammoth.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a motel or if yall got a spot or a hack in mind like, "Oh yeah, if I had to get a room, I'd stay there. Clearly the best value".

Alpenhof
    Funky, walking distance to village and gondola
    Pre Covid had a nice euro breakfast
    Quite cheap and will give you a pass discount after a few nights

https://www.alpenhof-lodge.com/rooms...fireplace-room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My favorite bump runs (maybe not the case these days) were dry creek, west bowl, lower shaft, and lower grizzly.

I figured out how to ski bumps one spring at snowmass and ajax. I’ve never experienced bumps in mammoth like those.
    I will second, Dry Creek.
    Spring time line, Chicken balls, to dry creek, to 2. But not recently.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

West bowl off chair 3 has the most consistent bump run in Mammoth that I have seen, especially in spring when it becomes a zipper line. Middle dry creek does bump up, but they are always horribly shaped and I have never found it to be a real bump run, more of surviving a series of nasty ruts.

No motel in Mammoth is cheap, even Motel 6 is way over priced. There is the Davidson St guest house /hostel, but I have never stayed there, it is hard to get into, and isn't cheap for a hostel anyway. As noted, June a Bishop are better options for cheap, but sometimes good deals do pop up in Mammoth, especially in spring. Camping options outside of town are really good this year due to low snow amounts.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Not sure what these folks are talking about. Just look around, you'll see the bumps.
    There do exist run with bumps, but not like Mary Jane or West Face.

The point I was making was that Mammoth is not really a bump-run type mountain compared to lots of other places.

That's fine with me. I skied plenty of bumps growing up back east.

Compared to Palisades it is night and day.

Often even the moguls are more of the wind-smoothed variety than the zipper-line variety. Even areas which get bumps, like the central area of Climax, are not really what I would call bump runs. I would call them runs with bumps, rather than bump runs, if that makes sense. Palisades gets much more bumped out.

I would agree with Hutash that West Bowl off of chair 3 becomes a classic zipper-line in the spring. That is what I think of when I think bump run.

The upper section of avi 3 has some bumps, but they are more like weird ledges/ruts than true moguls.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Thank you everyone for such thoughtful responses!

I see what yall are talking about though how the moguls are spaced pretty far apart. And even though theyre all over, they don't seem to last too long before you need to traverse to another field. Still, got lots of bump riding in!

I had a sweet hoot coming through the notch right below the Gondola top station, where it funnels out towards 23 chair.

Speaking of, that 23 chair was a trippy ride! I couldn't bring myself to put the bar up until I was standing up to unload. I understand you people call it "the carwash". Ha! Fitting.

I was very fascinated by the big snow walls rising vertically up along the edges of the rock outcroppings. Was channeling my inner Kelly Slater and trying to pump across em like 100' waves.

The tower line of 14 chair has been carved into a slushy narrow snake run. That was a real big-grin feel-good one too.