Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Arrived Saturday evening and shuttled up for a ride out to Juniper and back to the condo. Climbed Uptown back to the car. Skied on Sunday. We really very much enjoyed it. Would have been happy tot have the top softer earlier, but it was skiing well by closing. We lapped a nearly empty Solitude 5 times around noon. Added a ride up Big Ring, over Gopher and down Shotgun in for the early evening. Biked with resort shuttles today. 7 laps, including one out and up Mazinita and down Juniper from the top. Just a few snow banks and a single giant downed tree to contend with. The section from Paper Route down has been trail groomed. Plan is to ski for a few hours tomorrow before heading home for a mid week party. We were going to ski all day and then head to Kirkwood for some more biking, but party is a calling. Great final days of skiing mixed with some biking for us.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Anybody have suggestions for some chill touristy hikes that will be melted out next weekend? Generally would be biking or climbing after skiing but the friends I will be with do neither and also have never been to CA before.
    Parker Lake on the northern end of the June Lake loop.

Skied Saturday through Monday morning...the one word report - WIND

Saturday was socked in almost all day with soft snow down low at the get go but slow solar radiation helped soften the rest by the end of the day. Flat light and dirty looking snow permeated the day. Windy for most of the day. Still a great time. Like Ottime said, chair 5 was a ghost town and the perfect spot to do laps with my little guy. Props to Mammoth for opening chair 10 for the easy access.

Sunday - praying for a quicker warmup (I had a window until 11am to ski sans kids) - the mountain stayed pretty damn firm right until I had to ski with the 6 year old. Bonus...it was sunny. Cold wind however. My highlight was hitting a groomed Scotty's in primo conditions around 10:30am...so nice railing carves all the way back to chair 1 from the top of the ridge. DJ was pumping tunes at The Mill at closing and a perfect end of the day.

Monday - with plans to get on the road somewhat early, we skied until 10am. The mountain was glacier status in the AM due to shocker...a frigid wind. Hell, I could have almost worn a face mask...almost. The best runs up until 10am were on chair 2 as it has the right angle and elevation to soften the quickest.

Moral of the story...check the temps and see if you can get ski help later in the day so dad can ski stuff he wants in softish snow.

Drove back to SF in 6 hours with a stop through Kirkwood and through the Delta. Had to wait for a drawbridge for a good minute so the real time should have been 5hrs45min. Boom. End of report.

We slept in a bit Tuesday, due to the frigid wind reported above. Skied from about 9 to 11 out of Main. The entire place was a ghost town. Maybe 100 people on the mountain. Maybe. At times we would look across and up the hill and see no one, except a few on the lifts here and there. Pretty much all groomers until we left. But nice fast snow. Top of Cornice was an ice rink when we descended at 10 and 10:50. At 10 it was fiiiirm past the halfway mark. At 10:50 you could start getting edge grip after the third turn. My kid was on their slalom skis and were killing it.

Only got two laps down Climax and one down 23 off piste due to the cold and some child fatigue, but still had a blast. As 666 said, railing turns down Scottys to Main is super fun. Fun to close out at Mammy. Next time on skis for us may be 23/24. Moving to Singapore in a 6 weeks to live at the equator for a year.

There was still a strip of groomer down to 2 on Tuesday. The strip under 10 was looking burned out or close to it at 11AM. Broadway is just a strip at the top, but fairly wide below the roll. They are actively farming snow from the terrain park, and off the top of the gondola. I would not be surprised if they tried to push it to the 12th. There is still plenty of snow off 3 and 23.

Oh, 5 hours 45 minutes from Mammy to Santa Cruz over 108. There was light traffic here and there and a bit of a backup in Sonora. Otherwise a pretty swift route for us.

I made it from Coronado to the Mammoth turnoff in 5:45 a few times. Driving way to fast and 1 fast pit stop for gas and a pee. Lately more like 6:15

^^^no gas stop on my drive. Filled up in SC and then put 4 gallons in at Mammoth Shell, and that was enough to get me back to my door.

Rolled into town today. Did a few laps rock climbing warming wall and will be skiing tomorrow if anybody is around.

Probably climbing Saturday, but closing down the mountain Sunday (if that is still the plan.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Closing weekend weather?

Anybody local have snow/weather updates? We're considering bombing down from Truckee for the weekend with the groms but it's looking windy. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

With a low at McCoy forecast at 40F, I would think the wind would be your friend. Does not look windy enough to shut down 23. That would be my concern. No wind with the forecast temps and you are looking at mostly glop and glue

23 was running and the skiing today was very fun!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    23 was running and the skiing today was very fun!
    Fkna and good for you. I hereby nominate you to create next winter's thread. Have a great summer guys.

By noon yesterday things were getting pretty thick and sticky. 23 still skied reasonably well, but it was pretty manky about 2/3 of the way to the base of 23, and the last run at 1 to main was pretty nasty.

cold and breezy this morning, so it should stay firm longer, and may make it until the 1 PM closing without getting too bad. A good bit of cloud cover this morning, and radar shows a few flurries on the hill, but there is nothing here in town.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I don't know how it was on the hill today, but climbed Crystal Crag on a cold, windy, day with no sun and rain rain showers, so I can't imagine it was great on the hill, other then firm groomers. I am really curious what closing day will be like. Hopefully the wind and overcast dried things out, but the bit of rain may have added it right back in.

Hopefully we will see a few of you for closing day festivities tomorrw.

iscariot

I thought about it but not going
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

We skipped and did a quick hike and ski yesterday. Out PCT and up to the top of Judah reflector, then down. Snow was a weird icy/corn mix. Got rained on during the hike down.

I think my resort ski season is over. What a year.

It was a pretty horrid day today. Heavy clouds and drizzle all day with wind picked a bit before noon. Only 1 and 3 ran with the cloud base at the top of chair 1 so visibility was pretty poor.

Not a very good season closer, but typical for a very atypical year here.

iscariot

I am heading down to spend the summer in California with family and will be checking out Mammoth arounf July 10, 11, 12, 13, somwhere in ther. Wondering what the odds of there being some skiing left might be. With kids, career and such, not sure when I will be able to ski Mammoth in season so kind of hoping I can find a patch to tick Mammtoh off the list (sort of anyway).

I posted this in the eastern Sierra thread as well but I think it probably belongs here as well.

you should go bowling

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    you should go bowling
    That doesn't sound super encouraging.

bowling is really fun

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I am heading down to spend the summer in California with family and will be checking out Mammoth arounf July 10, 11, 12, 13, somwhere in ther. Wondering what the odds of there being some skiing left might be. With kids, career and such, not sure when I will be able to ski Mammoth in season so kind of hoping I can find a patch to tick Mammtoh off the list (sort of anyway).

I posted this in the eastern Sierra thread as well but I think it probably belongs here as well.
    Probably something like this, so bowling isn't a bad idea:

https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/wayba...selected=14342

That's July 12th, 2020. There are other image sets available. The date doesn't mean the date the image was captured. You have to select an image set and click on the image to get the capture date. I think this spring season was a little better than 2020 so you might find a slightly larger patch up at the top like where the cornice on Dave's is.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Vets patch skiing thread for the win!

Not likely anything on Mammoth proper, at least they allow you on, but should be plenty of hike to options if you are willing to get some altitude. There might be something left in Ellerly Bowl near Yosemite, or Mt Conness near Saddlebag Lake, etc.

iscariot

Ellery is not skiable as of last week. Mostly rock and a few random patches in the bowl. Looked pretty horrible.

As of last Thurs/Fri there was still snow on the upper mountain. Oddly, Paranoid 1 was looking like the best patch (but really hard to access). Can't imagine much left up top by July 10th. On Tioga, False White was still all big and white. Access would be long, but more hiking trail style and climbing up and traversing a scree slope.

Maybe bike mammoth instead? By that time frame they will have most of the park open, if not it all.

BTW, Daves was looking pretty burnt as of last week. Can't imagine that zone will have any snow left on it in a few weeks. Shit is melting out fast.
    Last edited by Ottime; 06-15-2022 at 05:35 PM.

Dunno if this'll post up. But nice vid, on Twitter of Chris Benchetler bringing some Candide steeze.
    Not sure where it's starring out. Huevos or hemlocks(?)
    https://twitter.com/ChrisBenchetler/...E5EG4Pql4Hg1cA

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...