Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Turns out, hair product is much more effective than rogaine

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Great shots, ESS! It looks really nice right now.

Next weekend Fofette has her wilderness first aid recert in Bishop. I suggested I could drop her off, go ski for the weekend and pick her up on Monday. She wasn't amused by my suggestion! During the season, we both go skiing on our own if the other one is busy, but she wants us to open the skiing season together. So I'll have to wait a couple of weeks.
    I won't tell.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Most excellent fall skiing conditions!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

All kinds of swell in the water the last week. October goodness in Mammoth. I was riding the mountain bike. A good week for options in California.

'Twas very nice up high, ice in the middle and slush with dirt and trees/rocks down low. Just did an easy half day today, but looking forward to venturing over to WO and DO chutes tomorrow. Dave's was pretty sweet.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

BTW, Stump is closed. I was able to ride the lift up but had to take the parking shuttle back to the lot.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

dave's and cornice bowl still pretty delightful yesterday pm. lets hope this long range forecast shapes up!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	391178

Kind of a high pressure mix of skiing today. Good chalk up high, turning to refrozen garbage below the chutes and slushy corn at the bottom. Dave's was still the best/most consistent run, but Cornice wasn't bad. Drop Out was good high, but garbage below the rocks, and Wipe Out was just hard top to bottom with just carve-able turns in the Chute and frozen crap midway down. The top few turns were fun...just don't fall or it will be a long slide.

iscariot

Nice shots ESS!

Stoked for your son!

This would be the year our landlord sold the place we have leased for the last 4 years. Our group is still trying to figure things out. We will see what happens, it might be lots of Motel 6 trips along with some airbnbs. We will see. Our landlord tried to buy his brothers out, but prices are simply too high right now. He is a good guy. He is actually going to pitch our group to the new owners, so we will see what happens.

Have fun everyone! I am pretty swamped right now, and probably won't be up for a few weeks. This is a great start!
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Nice shots ESS!

Stoked for your son!!
    Hey thanks bro, I appreciate that.
    Even if Mammoth's snow conditions could now best be described as "variable", it's better than anything in Tahoe. Squaw closed back down a couple days ago, and Mt Rose was scheduled to open today but that didn't happen.

Name:	IMG-0545.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	391531
    This morning at the Main Lodge at Rose, elevation 8260 ft. Not looking good.

So as of now it appears Mammoth is the only game in town (California) if you want to ski or ride. Hopefully it's at least getting cold enough to blow snow and the forecasted pattern change next weeks happens.
    Ski smart & ski safe.

Hell yes

Watching with jealousy…
    Enjoy the early turns

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Hey thanks bro, I appreciate that.
    Even if Mammoth's snow conditions could now best be described as "variable", it's better than anything in Tahoe. Squaw closed back down a couple days ago, and Mt Rose was scheduled to open today but that didn't happen.

Name:	IMG-0545.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	391531
    This morning at the Main Lodge at Rose, elevation 8260 ft. Not looking good.

So as of now it appears Mammoth is the only game in town (California) if you want to ski or ride. Hopefully it's at least getting cold enough to blow snow and the forecasted pattern change next weeks happens.
    Ski smart & ski safe.
    Wow!!!

That is bony down low.

It's interesting the differences between Mammoth and Squaw. I love Squaw, it was where I did my ski bum years and the mountain is insane, but the difference between a base of 6200 feet and a base of 8000 is pretty big. That can be the exact zone in which rain changes to snow. Rose looks pretty bony.

One of my old buddies who stayed in Tahoe blew his knee early season a few years ago. He really should have known better, after 20 years he should know you ski smart early on, but when it looks awesome that can be tough.

I have always wanted to hit up the Bozeman area. I love where I live, but sometimes I think about the road not traveled. Tell your son to take some Bridger Bowl laps for me! Someday me and my wife want to take a trip there.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Bitchin'! I'm bummed that I didn't make the trip, but I'm stoked that good turns were had. Thanks for sharing the stoke!

Bring on the season

Really wanting to get out - thanks to everyone sharing pics! Think I might try to get up to Mammoth on Monday evening for some Tuesday laps if the forecast stays snowy.

Name:	4614269A-9C7C-4C85-8472-3E1A6BEA4EDC.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	632.6 KB 
ID:	391602
    This sums up what todays crowds were like.
    Non existent. Taking my last run now, will post some pics later this evening.
    Cheers!

Nice!!!!

From Bernie Rosow's insta:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVoMl..._web_copy_link

He skis chair 23 a bit better than I do.

Yeah, Bernie is a great follow on social media. Consistently putting up A+ footage. Wish I could ski like that.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Empty slopes and a mix of snow conditions made for a fun afternoon. Good snow off the top is getting harder to find by the day and the warm temps have wreaked havoc on the snow in places.

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	391656
    Wave cloud over Reno this morning.

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	391663
    Mandatory stop and fill up at Carson City Costco before heading to the Eastern Sierras. Lee Vining was $6,09 per gallon.

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	391664
    Lots of cool cloud formations all along the crest due to the high winds.

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	391665
    I was on the hill by 11:00. Snow was still firm in places, winds were 30+ mph out of the SW, and not many people here.

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	391666
    Powder Bowl from ch 1. Still firm early on.

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	391667
    I'm not sure if the face ch 3 has been or can be groomed so far this season. Didn't look or sound good.

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	391668
    headed to Daves for the 1st run off the top. It's firm and bumped out at the top but the middle section was smooth with some wind blown snow.

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	391669
    The worst part of skiing Dave's? The traverse back across lower face lift as seen from the Gondi. Rock hard frozen bumps and traverse lines. It sucked.

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	440.9 KB 
ID:	391670
    Best snow off the Top was around Cornice Bowl. Skiers left in Cornice skied well all day and has good light until late afternoon. Warning-the first 2 or 3 turns into Cornice are rock hard.

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	391671
    Cut over from Cornice to Dropout 1 area and skied thru the rocks that's got sun on it. There's a few good turns before the snow changes quickly to frozen coral heads.

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	391672
    Hoping to find a repeat of opening day I hiked up to ch 23 and skied Wipe 2. There's maybe 3 or 4 turns and then the snow turns to total shit. Rock hard and ripped. Don't waste your time going there.

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	391673
    Fascination was firmer than it looked at 2:00 pm.

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	391674
    Broadway was fun slush top to bottom late in the day.

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	391675
    A few clouds rolled thru late in the day. Being that it's still very early in the season and daylight savings is still in affect keeps the Top with good light late into the day. This was taken at 2:24 p.m.

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	391676
    Winds kept blowing all day so late in the afternoon I pushed out to Dave's. I was all by my self.

Name:	IMG-0596.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	391677
    No one in sight and super peaceful vibe.

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	391678
    Dave's skied much better than earlier in the day. Hard to see but the wind blown snow was 2-3" deeper and super fun to ski. Came back for another solo ski and called it a day. Back out tomorrow and hoping the forecast for storms next week comes through. See you on the hill.

Mammoth 2021-2022 snow mandate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, Bernie is a great follow on social media. Consistently putting up A+ footage. Wish I could ski like that.
    Bernie rips and imo, best skier on the Mtn. He’s a 39 yr old dad that rips big Mtn as well as the park. Super chill dude that works for a living driving cats.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEj3OqVA...dium=copy_link
    More Bernie crushing it down Dropout.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 11-05-2021 at 11:28 AM.

I was out on the hill from 10:00 til 4:00 on Friday. Other than a very slight up tick in skier numbers it was pretty much a carbon copy of Thursday. Sunny with firm snow early on the lower Mtn softening later in the day and winds out of the
    SW gusting to 30 mph at times.

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	391806
    Mid day lift line at Facelift.

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	391807
    Can't really see it in the photo but this whole section on the face of ch 3 is gleaming, i.e. glare ice. Don't go there.

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	448.9 KB 
ID:	391808
    Cut into West bowl from the back of Ch 3. Not good. It's about as close to East Coast bump skiing as I want to get.

Did a bunch of laps on Cornice and stopped to watch skiers & riders try to make the first couple turns. This was a common sight. This was a common sight.

Skier vs snowboarder. In order to prevent this from happening to you, make sure as you drop in that you're traveling faster than any potential sliders.

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	560.4 KB 
ID:	391809
    Trying to mix things up a bit I cut over from Cornice to Dropout 1 a few times. Good snow above the rocks and down thru the choke.

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	883.5 KB 
ID:	391810
    Looking back up.

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	391811
    Overview of the line from the previous two pics. If you ski any lower the snow changes to frozen gnar.

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	391814
    Headed North after skiing and pulled off on 120 East to watch the sunset and eat my Salsa's fish tacos. Hope to be back for a storm day on Tuesday,

I'm back! And skiing! Got out Thursday afternoon with the wife for some groomers, breaking in new boots, and shaking off the cobwebs. Yesterday got up there late afternoon and linked up with some folks for hot laps off the top. D1 was the place to be with smooth, chalky windbuff that got better each lap. Here's a pic of the missus makin her way through Saddle Bowl.

Name:	251893443_10161358947766632_3076934031381232340_n.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	742.2 KB 
ID:	391817
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Kook question that I need a good answer for.

We have beginner/intermediate friends who may be joining us for a week ay Mammoth, M-F during President's Week.

They asked me how long the lines tend to be at Schoolyard Express. Having only ridden Schoolyard over a Memorial Day weekend, when Canyon was not running, there were no lines, as it was an access lift or a return from riding Mt. Lincoln.

Anyone have an idea of how busy that lift gets? Does Chair 7 tend to run, and are there fewer lines?

I'm just trying to help them decide if they want to join us. Mom is a strong skier, but dad and the boys are basically beginner plus. We will be walking distance to Eagle, where we like to access the hill. As my kid points out, it is one lift away from Cloud 9 that gets you anywhere you want to go in the morning.

Ott, I have see the beginner lift over by main for years and the wait is never even 5 minutes, so I can't imagine any beginner lift being a major wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Schoolyard and Canyon in general get more ski school use than Main it seems so there can occasionally be lines, but probably not worse than 10-15 minutes.

Schoolyard loads from both sides of the lift and one side is almost always significantly shorter (there’s a predictable pattern mid-morning when the crowds walk over from Canyon Lodge and the Village Gondi), which I’ll attribute to beginners not having the awareness to realize this. Tell your friends to pay attention when they’re near the end of each run and it’ll cut down their wait times significantly.

Chair 7 won’t have a line but it’s so slow that you’d probably get more vertical skiing Schoolyard.

And the Chair 15 lines typically aren’t too bad either—once again, multiple lines leading to the lift and it’s easy to pick the short one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums