Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    30/40$ at the rental place across the street
    yep Rob is a good guy made some turns with him last week...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Can't believe we're gonna have literally zero snow in January after that December but I guess in a La Nina year that was the exception and we're reverting...seems like mid Feb is the earliest for a switch but I hope that's wrong...
    I'm seeing snow in the forecast starting next week...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	402720
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    I'm seeing snow in the forecast starting next week...

Name:	snow.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	402720
    You see what I did there...

You'll get snow. I left and took my powder skis with me.

Fast smooth sunny days on the hill. Quiet.

Fun in the sun!

Six & a half weeks after wrecking hard and ending up in the Mammoth ER for 3 days it was great to be back on the hill.

Name:	16D8555E-4DA0-44AA-80E4-A160CF3E0131.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	439.6 KB 
ID:	403045
    Beautiful da on Wednesday with no one on the Mtn.

Name:	A6CC178B-31FC-4118-A05D-68132F571AF1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	596.5 KB 
ID:	403046
    Races courses were super carvable late in the day. Tuned skis are a plus right now.

Back out today.

right on
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Strong off shore breeze blowing over the top this morning. Gusts from the NE 50+ mph. G2 is on hold. Dress warm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ER for 3 days!!!!

Scary to hear that ESS.

Glad you are okay. Hearing that is pretty sobering to say the least. Hope you are healing up well.

Nice shots as always.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

3 days? Inquiring minds need to know what you did for that to occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

It can be scary out there when it hasn't snowed in so long. Reports of multiple deaths at Palisades Tahoe this week. Kind of sobering that the thing we all love to do results in so much carnage.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    3 days? Inquiring minds need to know what you did for that to occur.
    I was out skiing on Dec 9th in about 10" of new snow, the first new snow since the end of October. It was shallow pow over low tide conditions and for the most part I had been skiing conservatively, not venturing into places I hadn't skied already etc. I had barely hit anything all-day, and then late in the afternoon I had to push my luck. I went deeper into the tree's in the Phantoms escape area to ski a "fresh line." I made 7 or 8 turns then hit a log that was barely covered by the new snow. I released out of one ski and as tumbled I impacted the right side of my chest on another log. Right away I knew it was bad as the pain in my ribs was off the charts. I barely managed to get my ski back on and slowly skied down to the ch 2 parking lot. I could feel broken bones in my rib cage grinding against each other and it was becoming to painful to breath. Called my bro to come get me and on the way to Mammoth ER my breaths were get really short and I was told that looked really pale. I got a giant shot of Morphine immediately upon arrival, a first for me, and it felt amazing. The sum total was that I shattered three ribs, partially deflated my right lung and had some internal bleeding in my lung and chest. In short, I fucked myself up doing something I (should have) know better and it was totally preventable.

When you've got your health you've got it all, and you never fully appreciate that more until it's suddenly gone.
    The Doc said "No skiing for three months!" WTF? Rehab plan? Do nothing but lay on the couch. It sucked, was super painful, but here I am almost seven weeks later and I'm back out. My fitness level feels like shit, I gained 8 lbs and I can still feel it in my ribs. But hey, it could have been worse and no there shouldn't be any long term affects.

Now lets talk about the skiing yesterday. Winds were up from the NE, gusting to 50+mph over the top with chilly air temps all day. G2 never ran, but ch 23 did. I thought it was really fun with fast, carvable winter snow on the groomed. Crowds were light to non existent so you could open it up and ski fast with lots of room. I skied Mt Rose Sunday & Tuesday and at Alpine Meadows on Monday and the last two days here. Mammoth is skiing better than Tahoe at the moment. Mammoth's snow for the most part is still winter snow, while most of the Tahoe areas have been thru the melt freeze cycle. Here's a few pics from Thursday.

Name:	IMG-1415.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	403215
    Face of ch 5 has good coverage and a mix of bumps and smooth winter chalk.

Name:	IMG-1426.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	589.3 KB 
ID:	403216
    Broadway late in the day with hardly anyone on it. Race hills were also really fun when they opened up in the afternoon.

Name:	IMG-1417.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	751.0 KB 
ID:	403217
    Solitude on my last run of the day. Skiing was good bell to bell. I got in 29 runs and rarely if ever waited in line. If you're coming up soon get your skis tuned and think about skiing something that's narrower than what you might normally ski with a lower turn radius. I'm skiing on some Brahma's that are 84mm underfoot, that's 10mm less than my normal daily driver and it makes arcing around on the groomed really fun. Time to head out the door and up to the mtn.

Aces, ESS; my favorite way too end the ski day is laser turns on the race hills.

To

ESS, so sorry to hear about your incident! That sucks. It's a sobering reminder that accidents can happen to anyone. But I'm glad that you're back and enjoying the slopes!

Name:	C43B2F94-2904-4ADA-9324-64571DF4E9BD.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	654.2 KB 
ID:	403367
    On the hill and in G2 alone. Goal is 10 quick runs and bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    To
    .....,too, to ........

After Friday’s noticeable uptick in skier numbers, my plan was to get on the hill at opening and bust out 10 top laps and call it a day.
    Got on ch 4 at 8:30 and was at Mid Chalet by 8:45 am.

Name:	52B405CA-508D-4713-A7E7-95D159BDE476.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	553.6 KB 
ID:	403400
    Lapped Climax for my 1st couple runs. Good snow on the skiers right & left sides of the photo.

Name:	CE30413C-AE11-4BCC-83A1-C16C43B36428.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	730.9 KB 
ID:	403401
    Early laps on uncrowded Cornice bowl were fun. Considering that it hasn’t snowed in a month the skiing has been good all week, especially Tue/Wed/Thur when hardly anyone was here.

Name:	5E517D76-795A-482C-B71A-E91C2068AF1C.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	479.3 KB 
ID:	403402
    Mission accomplished with 12 runs in just over two hours, 10 of them off G2 or ch 23. Off the Mtn & at the Looney Bean drinking coffee.

Just a word of caution, witnessed some epic long distance sliders off the top yesterday including one down Daves where a skier blew out after his 1st turn and slid over the cat track at the bottom of Daves/top of ch 9. Squaw reported a slider related fatality this week. Thursday my kid was out at Mt Rose with his buddies lapping The Chutes and witnessed a slider (skier) go top to bottom that ended with a tree strike. He said the accident scene was “horrific” and they stuck to the groomed after that. Life Flight landed in the parking lot and flee the skier out. Be careful out there.

Plan to be back out tomorrow with a noon start and ski til closing. If anyones around and wants to take a few runs hit me up. Cheers.

Fuck ESS, that is a bad story. I am glad you're already back out there as ribs take along time to heal and I know the Mammoth crew wishes you the best.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Was quite surprised to find a mostly empty hill yesterday. Zero lift lines even on Ch 1, 2, 16, etc. Led some friends on a tour around the mountain ripping groomers which were all skiing really great. Appeared that Dave's, Climax, and Wipeout were all skiing well too. Super fun day!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Was quite surprised to find a mostly empty hill yesterday. Zero lift lines even on Ch 1, 2, 16, etc. Led some friends on a tour around the mountain ripping groomers which were all skiing really great. Appeared that Dave's, Climax, and Wipeout were all skiing well too. Super fun day!
    Sunday was good, especially in the afternoon as people got on the road. I skied 8:30-11:00 and went in to town for lunch then came back out for the 1:00-4:00 pm session and watched my buddies daughter race. On my way up for a couple hours right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Just a word of caution, witnessed some epic long distance sliders off the top yesterday including one down Daves where a skier blew out after his 1st turn and slid over the cat track at the bottom of Daves/top of ch 9.
    Saw a slider two weekends ago right under 23. The guy took one turn into dropouts and lost his ski and started sliding. It was funny at first but then he just kept gaining speed. Slid the most the way down and went headfirst into a pile of rocks and got launched 15feet in the air. Seeing his body ragdoll was sickening. Checked with ski patrol later and they said he didnt die but couldnt say much else. Was probably the gnarliest thing Ive seen in how ever many years of skiing.

ESS,

Wow. Glad you are okay.

I have seen some sketchy early season crashes in the trees on early season pow days. It can be very hard to resist, even though you know you shouldn't. Hitting one stump and crashing into a log is the way it can happen. About 15 years ago I was with someone on this site who had a pretty serious accident in the trees. He is fine, but it ended his season.

I might be up next weekend. Baldy has produced some fun days, which is a good thing. I have been busy, and given the fact that it has not snowed in a while I'm not all that pumped to plan trips right now. At this point I do want to head back up, but I'm almost content to ski the Baldy snow while it is their until it snows again in Mammoth. Baldy was firm this weekend, but the coverage is good.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    ESS, so sorry to hear about your incident! That sucks. It's a sobering reminder that accidents can happen to anyone. But I'm glad that you're back and enjoying the slopes!
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Fuck ESS, that is a bad story. I am glad you're already back out there as ribs take along time to heal and I know the Mammoth crew wishes you the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    ESS,

Wow. Glad you are okay.
    Hey all,

Thank you for the kind words. I'm feeling good overall. After a week long session at Mammoth I left after skiing Tuesday morning as some artic like air was rolling in. I had skied 10m days in a row prior to that and slept all day yesterday, and I'm about to rally and head up to Rose , meet my kid and ski for the afternoon.

Getting hurt the way I did was pretty dumb, totally preventable and kind of embarrassing when I talk about it. Wandering into the tree's on a shallow pow day in the early season after it hadn't snowed since October? What could go wrong there, like everything. Lesson learned and try not to make the same dumb mistakes again. I would like to give a shout out to the folks at the Mammoth E.R. They were awesome, especially Nurse Carrie. Her and I happened to be on the same fire crew back in the day and that first big shot of Morphine she hit me up with was amazing.

Couple of pics from the past few days.

Name:	IMG-1475.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	404264
    Go to line off the Top for me right now was Cornice to......

Name:	IMG-1466.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	404265
    World cup down past 23 to......

Name:	IMG-1468.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	404266
    one of the race runs i.e. Ralphies or Fascination. Back to ch 1 to ch 23 and repeat. 2000 vert ft of thigh burning carving.

Name:	IMG-1535.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	404267
    Dave's has some decent snow on it in sections I marked with the red arrows. Avoid the yellow unless you like big, wind scoured bumps up high, or the bumps below the lookers left choke that are after a smooth section. Went in to those carrying way to much speed and ended up pulling off a highspeed run out that I tried to act casual like I meant to do that.

Name:	IMG-1476.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	404268
    Cool looking clouds on my last run up late in the day on Monday.

Name:	IMG-1478.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	404269
    Looking West off the top off ch 23.

Name:	IMG-1479.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	404271
    Looking North towards the Minarets.
    Pray for snow and hope to see you all out on the hill soon.

O please baby Jeebuz, Mammoth has never had much more than a 50 day dry cycle so hoping for the dumpage by months end.