Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Man-cave ski display?

I'm about to close on a house that will allow me to have a section of the garage dedicated to Volant. (Apparently I love dead brands, because I also love AMC.) I'm going to have a wall for my quiver of all stainless steel Machetes (and a Pontoon), but don't really know how I want to set up the display. Anybody have plans for a wall-mounted ski display rack? I'm thinking I can probably just cut something from plywood in vaguely the shape of a gun-rack, but I'd love to see how other people have set up ski displays.

Following. Sounds like a cool idea and I've a bunch of old cool (to me at least) skis I'd like to display one day in the man-den.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

To display skis you want them topsheets facing out, I assume.

I don't have pics, but years ago I hung skis similarly to this link, but using extruded aluminum channel and bolts with plastic spacers to hold multiple pairs of skis. It worked well.
    https://www.storeyourboard.com/ski-d...ing-wall-mount

Glue, plenty of glue,. Last thing you need is one of those things coming loose and slicing open someone's neck.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

I don't have pics, but years ago I hung skis similarly to this link, but using extruded aluminum channel and bolts with plastic spacers to hold multiple pairs of skis. It worked well.
    I considered something similar, but it won't work for my Spatulas. So I'm thinking it will have to be something horizontal, and spaced out far enough from the wall to give depth for the binding on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska-RWC View Post
    I considered something similar, but it won't work for my Spatulas. So I'm thinking it will have to be something horizontal, and spaced out far enough from the wall to give depth for the binding on the inside.
    Good point. Something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0949JK37S...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Good buddy has his old vr resting upside down on wood brackets with glass on top. It’s a cool shelf. But would be better up high so you can see the top sheets.
    . . .

Go back to square one and start the project in the LIVING ROOM instead of the garage. Or at least a nice den or family room should do. Garages are for vehicles, tools, and trashed gear, Nice display gear belongs in a nice climate controlled INDOOR setting. A converted garage is a waste of a garage when you can use wall space and set up your home theater stuff INDOORS.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Go back to square one and start the project in the LIVING ROOM instead of the garage. Or at least a nice den or family room should do. Garages are for vehicles, tools, and trashed gear, Nice display gear belongs in a nice climate controlled INDOOR setting. A converted garage is a waste of a garage when you can use wall space and set up your home theater stuff INDOORS.
    You better listen to him. He's in pre med.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    You better listen to him. He's in pre med.
    Pre law but what's the difference? My retro gear is displayed in the living room. Wife is tolerating it until the nest empties..

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    seems like a pintrest question
    but my mancaves done in eclectic clusterfuck style
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

No.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I decided to show off the quiver in our hallway and went with the wooden hangers from Good Racks. Looks like they're sold out for now, but worked well for everything but some Protests.

https://www.goodracks.com/products/skiracks.php

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210420_201417261~2.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	390432

Name:	IMG_1570.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	390434

I picked up a bunch of big-box store tool organizers and mounted them on the walls sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

I picked up a bunch of big-box store tool organizers and mounted them on the walls sideways.

That might actually be perfect! But I was hoping to mount them each as a pair recognizing that they'll stick into the room somewhat. I'll check the tool organizers the next time I'm in Home Depot.

More importantly, tell me about the Hucksters you have below the Spatulas, and would you be interested in selling them?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

Wine corks work, but don't use merlot ones.

Volants were sooo good in their day. I still pull my Fire's out for early season rock/pow crushing.

I use two piece adjustable mirror hangers.

You still ski those BIG green M777s? I still have a pair in the closet with some 999s. Best all around hardpack, leftovers, and crud ski I've got. Even ran NASTAR on them one day in the snow and did OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska-RWC View Post

More importantly, tell me about the Hucksters you have below the Spatulas, and would you be interested in selling them?
    Probably not, I had been on the hunt for a pair for a couple years before I found these.

You still ski those BIG green M777s? I still have a pair in the closet with some 999s. Best all around hardpack, leftovers, and crud ski I've got. Even ran NASTAR on them one day in the snow and did OK..
    The m777 is still there. It was my first "real" ski. I refer to them as my dragin' skis since that's how they get from the truck to the lift. Fuck they're heavy. Last time I skied them I used them for side slipping a race course. They don't come off the wall very often, but they do still have bindings and the bases are waxed.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    I decided to show off the quiver in our hallway and went with the wooden hangers from Good Racks. Looks like they're sold out for now, but worked well for everything but some Protests.

https://www.goodracks.com/products/skiracks.php

Name:	PXL_20210420_201417261~2.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	390432
    Wow. Single then, I'm assuming?

Depending on what and how you're hanging it, literally just the head of a screw can hold them on. It works easily for vertical (obviously), but I've even managed to do it pinching the edges of thin skis with wood screws with the pair angled on the wall. May only work with thin, cap-construction skis that don't have a ton of camber, but it does work. Presumably, a bigger bolt and bolt head would work on other skis. Just drill a pilot hole first.
    tl;dr the shaft of the bolt or screw will hold the ski up and the flange of the head will pin it to the wall.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Four of those are the girlfriend's!

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    My wife's fine with my retro skis and vintage skateboards displayed in the living room.. Lost the shack out back to make room for a new master bedroom suite addition and the deal was my gear came in the house for that. When the kids leave the nest, the gear goes in one of their rooms. But for now..
    Name:  Alva Colledtion 2021.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:	Retro Skis.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	390536

My wife's fine with my retro skis and vintage skateboards displayed in the living room.. Lost the shack out back to make room for a new master bedroom suite addition and the deal was my gear came in the house for that. When the kids leave the nest, the gear goes in one of their rooms. But for now..
    Name:  Alva Colledtion 2021.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:	Retro Skis.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	390536
    Spademan's for the win ...........
    "One Dollar, cheaper than a lift ticket and it lasts forever" Powder Winter 72-73 Issue #1