Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    That last storm seemed to cake the alpine. We havent had many 1800m freezing level storms in the past few years, especially early season. Its so helpful to get them sharks covered early and have a good base for snow to stick to rather than rock for the big faces.

Great pow down to 1500m today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1637375492.570746.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	393308

Name:	Image1637375546.645821.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	393309

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Any one have any insight about how opening day/weekend is going to play out this season? I know they generally open green and something at Blackcomb - which makes sense when they open a week earlier than expected and you're skiing on man-made snow, but this year, when the whole mountain looks to have pretty good coverage, seems tougher to justify only opening one or two chairs (beyond, "hey, we make more money that way"). Have they started to put more chairs on some additional lifts? It's too much to hope for the full alpine to be open, but maybe something more that the traditional one chair per hill?

Just give us the t-bars please!

I'm a bit worried about rising snow levels over the weekend, but that's still a ways off. Things can change.

Yeah, I knew the t-bars opening was a pipedream, but one can hope!

My Blackcomb prediction for actual skiable chairs is Jersey Cream and Catskinner. I'm assuming you'll be able to ski down to Excel and the gondola mid-station, but probably via road only.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Any one have any insight about how opening day/weekend is going to play out this season? I know they generally open green and something at Blackcomb - which makes sense when they open a week earlier than expected and you're skiing on man-made snow, but this year, when the whole mountain looks to have pretty good coverage, seems tougher to justify only opening one or two chairs (beyond, "hey, we make more money that way"). Have they started to put more chairs on some additional lifts? It's too much to hope for the full alpine to be open, but maybe something more that the traditional one chair per hill?
    Shit show?
    Lots of pent up demand.
    Lines of ‘Epic’ proportions.

First 10-40 at 9:10

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Shit show?
    Lots of pent up demand.

Exactly. Tibfib pow

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Shit show?
    Lots of pent up demand.

Stoke
    Above average coverage
    Faceshots
    Tibfibs
    People who complain

thank god we have an inside line, Vail/WB is radio silent with opening 2 days out...

Does anyone know where to find Whistler's snow base? The main WB webpage doesn't seem to report it.

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    Does anyone know where to find Whistler's snow base? The main WB webpage doesn't seem to report it.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...78#post6450478

Thanks for the beta Clownshoe! Stoked to get the season started. We're heading up Thursday skiing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Partner is aiming for 50 skis days this season for his 50th birthday year.

I'm driving up Friday, so hopefully will be able to get in a few turns in the afternoon. Staying through Monday. Looks like the weather could be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Looks like the weather could be interesting...
    Freezing levels 1600-1800M are not that bad considering there are 3 atmospheric rivers lined up over the next 4 days. Though it wouldn't bode well for the early season tree skiing if the alpine was a no go
    "A witty saying proves nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by spantik View Post
    Freezing levels 1600-1800M are not that bad considering there are 3 atmospheric rivers lined up over the next 4 days. Though it wouldn't bode well for the early season tree skiing if the alpine was a no go
    Yes, let's just hope those freezing levels don't go much above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post

CBC glades has some dodgy bits and small cliffs so a little caution is a good thing until you're familiar with the area.
    Hudge cliffs in CBC. One of the only zones with permanent anchors for rope rescue. Be very careful.

Lifts open for tomorrow as expected:
    https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/lo...ay-coo-4794382

-0.7’ at Pig Alley
    10-15 fresh cementimetres?

Name:	Image1637849090.376719.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	420.3 KB 
ID:	393985

Its coming down. Great day touring

Anyone gotten up to Fissile?

Certainly nice to see white all the way down to the village on opening day.

aaaaahahahaaha

Pique Newsmagazine
    @PiqueNews
    Mechanical issues will be delaying the Whistler village gondola 30-40 minutes. Fitz and Excalibur will be up and running as scheduled in the next couple minutes

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    aaaaahahahaaha
    FKNA

Fitz for the win
    Delayed start in the village

Good dry snow down to emerald

Imagine pitching your tent at the front of the line for Whistler Gondola 16+ hours before opening, chilling with buddies, firing up the stoke. You go to sleep with dream of first Gondi of the year and an entire mountain of fresh tracks waiting for you at the top. And then you wake up and the Gondi isn't running............

Lol.

Might just be my anti-Vail bias but it sure seems like the amount of lift issues has increased significantly since they took over (and I'm not just talking about the Blackcomb Gondi situation). Loss of longtime staff, aging infrastructure? Seems like something a major corporations whose main focus is moving people up mountains via lifts should do a better job of.

Hopefully some hiking access is open tomorrow.

Man that's just ridiculous for opening day. Probably just a random occurrence but really easy to blame Vail, is the quality of millwrights and others on the maintenance teams the same as it was pre-acquisition? Was lots of murmuring about turnover and loss of long-time groomer staff a couple years back. Sucks for those kids that camped out for sure. It definitely feels like lift issues are worse since Vail took over, but that might be biased by the Blackcomb gondola problems. Can definitely remember many pre-Vail issues, i.e. Excelerator on back-up diesel for what felt like months, random Creekside delays, random village gondola issues etc.

Glad to hear snow is decent, hopefully Sat/Sun aren't too warm. Lines didn't look bad at all for an opening day with new snow.