Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    I noticed the "must enter through gate" sign today. People were still going up the looker's left line. My son commented that he noticed the "this is not the way to the ice cave" sign at the top. LOL!
    So, about these two lines - the "dirty" one on the left is way easier. That hard right turn to the "correct" one through the gate is insane, those first 3 steps are steep AF and lots of people (myself included) slip on one or two of them - bad year for the bootpack up imo, as I remember is usually hugging the rocks on the climber's right for a less aggressive climb. Patrol should just move the gate temporarily to the lower-angle one, and if people want to go nuts and cheat on the steep one, then go for it.

What a week though. Tuesday pow day, Wednesday more fun in Khybers, Thursday fun lines with extremely canadian, and Friday blasted groomers with the wife and her brother in law. Got them in to boomer for a somehow sunny Harmony lap. Whistler never fails to deliver.

SUSHI BETA: Sushi Village, didn't even try. Sachi, didn't even try. Got our fix at Nagomi in Blackcomb. Sushi was the bomb, staff was super friendly, hostess was happy we came, server was hilarious. 10/10 meal can't wait to go back.

In fact, due to staffing issues and increased tourism as we exit another covid wave, it's hard to get in anywhere in the village to eat. Even getting a pizza for takeout was an ordeal. The secret though, is the upper village. Lots of space there, and it's dead. Maybe I'm old or some shit, but that's more my vibe.

Also BIG MAD PROPS to patrol for getting the alpine open in record time every single day. Seriously, thought it wouldn't open at all on Tuesday due to viz, but nope - wide open almost immediately! Suggestion though - put a couple bamboo poles on that Regulator cornice. We had to stop a couple guys from plummeting to their death as they came casually skiing along up to it. Couldn't see the edge in the light, and that thing is like 30 feet.

Anyhow pics are all on my buddy's phone but I'm sure we've got some stoke somewhere.

We need a train from the airport > west van > Whistler > 7th heaven > snow cave. That would take care of most traffic on the S2S and gondola lines.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    In fact, due to staffing issues and increased tourism as we exit another covid wave, it's hard to get in anywhere in the village to eat. Even getting a pizza for takeout was an ordeal. The secret though, is the upper village. Lots of space there, and it's dead. Maybe I'm old or some shit, but that's more my vibe.

Also BIG MAD PROPS to patrol for getting the alpine open in record time every single day.
    Shhhh bro. Its hard enough to get a beer at handlebar as it is these days since the pizza oven has been in. Don't need more competition!
    FR though, its awesome in the upper village, Portobello is legit the best place to eat at the base of the hill. The quality of the baked goods there is unreal.

RMU is pretty cool, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Shhhh bro. Its hard enough to get a beer at handlebar as it is these days since the pizza oven has been in. Don't need more competition!
    FR though, its awesome in the upper village, Portobello is legit the best place to eat at the base of the hill. The quality of the baked goods there is unreal.
    granted I don't go to handlebar that much since I moved out of town, but damn I was crushed the last time I went and they no longer had the currywurst!

Handlebar is my fave after skiing or biking on Blackcomb, although I hardly ever have a chance to go anymore… haven’t been since they changed to pizza but the pics on IG look tasty.

Blackcomb Glacier today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220321-135955_Photos.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	410363

Disappearing act.

Name:	Screenshot_20220321-153357_Photos.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	410364

Name:	Screenshot_20220321-153442_Photos.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	410365

Name:	Screenshot_20220321-153509_Photos.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	410366

Catskinner bumps (RIP the old Catskinner).

Name:	Screenshot_20220321-140845_Photos.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	410367
    [quote][//quote]

Great weekend out there. Rode pretty much every slack area on blackcomb over the weekend. Somehow managed to get lucky with vis on every single run other than our Sunday sunset effort.
    One gorbpro dump from friday evening. Strong uphill wind made it hard to ride fast due to the constant snow pelting in face but this shot makes it look cool at least.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 8.08.56 PM.jpg 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	410423

Great weekend out there. Rode pretty much every slack area on blackcomb over the weekend. Somehow managed to get lucky with vis on every single run other than our Sunday sunset effort.
    One gorbpro dump from friday evening. Strong uphill wind made it hard to ride fast due to the constant snow pelting in face but this shot makes it look cool at least.
    Tx for update. When I walked out to Tremor Shatter Shudder the windslab was on the N faces but since then N faces have healed well. I heard from others that even Tremor N and Curtain skied well. Even S and SE faces skied well over weekend into Monday. Seems to be mixed precip to warm temps during day today.

Headed to do the spearhead traverse next weekend. Any thoughts on tents? I've got a pretty solid 3-season but I've heard folks saying that a 4-season is really nice for the winds. Not really that eager to buy/rent - I was gonna look at the weather and decide a little closer in but figured I'd post here in case anyone has some strong opinions.

I've used a 3 person tent and a siltarp setup in slit trench cave for the traverse. The 3 person was on the Platform Glacier (wind exposed) and Fitz Glacier moraine. The slit trench was on Macbeth col ( wind exposed). Provided you prep the area, stake things well and watch for prevailing winds a 3 person is fine

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I've used a 3 person tent and a siltarp setup in slit trench cave for the traverse. The 3 person was on the Platform Glacier (wind exposed) and Fitz Glacier moraine. The slit trench was on Macbeth col ( wind exposed). Provided you prep the area, stake things well and watch for prevailing winds a 3 person is fine
    Ya i'd agree. I mistakingly bought a 4 season tent and for the most part it's over kill, heavier than necessary etc. I almost only ever camp in good weather as well, so makes it even more useless...

By next weekend you mean in 3 days or 10 days? Cos this weekend looks kinda gnarly weather.

Ya i'd agree. I mistakingly bought a 4 season tent and for the most part it's over kill, heavier than necessary etc. I almost only ever camp in good weather as well, so makes it even more useless...

By next weekend you mean in 3 days or 10 days? Cos this weekend looks kinda gnarly weather.
    Gonna be in 10 days...so who knows on the weather at the moment.

LeeLau - thanks for the info. I'll probably plan to take the 3 season unless the weather looks gnar.

Well that was a trip, 3 days of skiing in fog, clouds, snow, rain, sleet, grapple, and about 30 minutes of sunshine. We stayed at the Aspens on Blackcomb which was a great location, just a 5 minute walk to a liquor store. We found some great snow in the trees down by the excalibur lift, and a couple of good runs with acceptable visibility down Spanky's ladder area. Every time we rode 7th heaven life we were completely locked out and had to ride the orange/green safety run down. Made one trip over to whistler area and was also blocked out at top of peak chair, another safety run down peak creek which was actually really cool once you could see, good snow until the bottom slush fest. Best run of the trip was last run down glacier express on Saturday, it dumped from 12pm-3pm got the last chair on that and the sun broke out and had some nice tracks down next level and bite all by myself.

For dinner we did sushi village, caramba, high mountain brewery, and sushi sachi, and all were really good, we ate early, like 4:30-5pm so crowds were never an issue and would recommend all the places, seems like you can't go wrong eating out there, when we left a lot of those places lines were pretty big, so early seems to be a good idea.

Father-son bonding trip, first lift of the day, raining at the base, Grady with the sweet Nomads, they're not rentals either, that sticker is from our ski valet, ha ha.

Name:	IMG_2943.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	307.7 KB 
ID:	410628

Grady skiing down some run in acceptable visibility.

Name:	IMG_2964.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	410629

I've now skied 2 schoolmarms, so that's a feather in my cap.

Name:	IMG_2976.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	895.7 KB 
ID:	410630

Heading down off the top of Spanky's ladder area, this place is wicked vast.

Name:	IMG_2987.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	410631

Grady getting steep!

Name:	IMG_2988.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	410632

Me about to get deep!

Name:	IMG_2999.jpg 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	410633

Awesome 3 days of skiing, great bonding trip with the kid, there's so much terrain it's kind of mind blowing, and everything is easy to get to, anyone who calls this area home is a lucky mag. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and whatnot. peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post

Name:	IMG_2943.jpg 
Size:	307.7 KB 
ID:	410628
    Yep, looks like Whistler! Hope your waterproof gear held up.

Sounds like a great trip! Glad you had fun.

Things froze up hard overnight, but a 3cm dusting up in the alpine more pronounced on the blackcomb side was a nice surprise.

A question for the locals: passing through town with a van, I booked a hotel room for hot tub access. But now I realize that my plan of stowing it in the oversize lot is foiled until the 1st. The heck. Any tips? Feel free to PM. Rig's around 3.2 meters tall so garages are a definite no.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Headed to do the spearhead traverse next weekend. Any thoughts on tents? I've got a pretty solid 3-season but I've heard folks saying that a 4-season is really nice for the winds. Not really that eager to buy/rent - I was gonna look at the weather and decide a little closer in but figured I'd post here in case anyone has some strong opinions.
    A good 3 season is fine.

If it's that storming that it wouldn't be you won't be going.

Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Things froze up hard overnight, but a 3cm dusting up in the alpine more pronounced on the blackcomb side was a nice surprise.

A question for the locals: passing through town with a van, I booked a hotel room for hot tub access. But now I realize that my plan of stowing it in the oversize lot is foiled until the 1st. The heck. Any tips? Feel free to PM. Rig's around 3.2 meters tall so garages are a definite no.
    Whistler Town Plaza is available for underground over-height parking (max 3.7 metres / 12.2 feet)
    4314 Main Street,
    Whistler BC V0N 1B4

This underground parkade at the Whistler Town Plaza, entrance is located on Blackcomb Way; beside Whistler Municipal Hall.

[Basically right across the street from the Audain Gallery and Lot 3]

Library has a high roof beside the Pinnacle? Is that the same spot? ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't think it's the same, but hard to keep all those underground lots straight. There's a nice parking map here: https://rmow.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...5c3a3bff328ead
    If you click on an individual lot it will give max height info, hours, cost, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't think it's the same, but hard to keep all those underground lots straight. There's a nice parking map here: https://rmow.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...5c3a3bff328ead
    If you click on an individual lot it will give max height info, hours, cost, etc.
    Those are the same, entrance by both the library and by muni hall, it's really big. Occasionally can be a sneaky way to get across the village when it's all jammed up haha.

Okay well since we're doing fun tourist pics and not the usual hardcore LeeLau backcountry secret pow stoke...

The cast of this trip:
    Paulster (yours truly)
    T-Man (dude snowboarder)
    Mrs. Paulster (hot blonde on skis)
    Mrs. T-Man (hot snowboader)

Day 1, guess who showed up early enough to be first in line. Jet lag has its privileges!

Name:	1-first in line.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	733.6 KB 
ID:	410783

Later in the week, dappers is always one of my preferred routes to Harmony. I like to pretend the people in the lift line are all like "damn, look at that guy, he's so cool!"

Name:  2 - dappers.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  139.7 KB

T-Man catches the Paulster checking out his wife, and decides to photograph this event.

Name:	3 - touists.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	418.1 KB 
ID:	410786

Top of Chunky's, maybe? Anyway it felt like we could touch the clouds, which was cool at the time.

Name:	4 - chunkys.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	661.5 KB 
ID:	410788

Hike up Flute, have lunch at the top. I wonder what a PB&J would cost you at the Longhorn...

Name:	5 - flute lunch.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	323.6 KB 
ID:	410790

About to drop in to lesser flute for a nice untracked run. Looking back where we came from.

Name:	6 - looking back.jpg 
Size:	428.3 KB 
ID:	410792

Now out to Khybers, looking up!

Name:	7 - Khyber trees.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	410793

Mrs. Paulster really shines at the apres scene...

Name:	8 - apres.jpg 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	410794

I bet nobody can guess what day this was taken on!

Name:	9 - st paddys.jpg 
Size:	445.1 KB 
ID:	410795

The Paulster scopes out the line after taking the easy way in to Regulator. I was trying to locate the avy debris in shitty light.

Name:	10 - checking a line.jpg 
Size:	404.7 KB 
ID:	410796

Somewhere in Spanky's?

Name:	11 - somewhere in spankys.jpg 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	410797

Okay, time for an action shot! This totally seemed a LOT bigger at the time.

Name:	12 - seemed bigger.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	410798

Last day, time to soak up those Whistler rays and take another touristy pic of the wife and her brother in law.

Name:	13 - last day.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	663.2 KB 
ID:	410799

A good time was had by all. Maybe we'll see you out there next year, if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Those are the same, entrance by both the library and by muni hall, it's really big. Occasionally can be a sneaky way to get across the village when it's all jammed up haha.
    Always wondered why there weren't more vans roaming around Whistler. Turns out they're all parked under the library, who knew? Mine included. Many thanks

I skied Sunday through yesterday and I'm glad I had an Epic Pass because those were some brutal conditions. Sunday it rained almost to the top with visibility that ranged from poor to awful. Monday was a little better with some clearing in the afternoon. Yesterday was clear, but the refrozen snow was about a ten on the Mohs scale.