Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Definitely snows more across the valley in rainbow/Sproat/etc.

There is also a substantial micro climate difference between different micro zones in Whistler or Blackcomb or the Duffey or Callaghan or Coq or Rogers pass. Well you get the idea.

A minor change in wind or temps will have us change our plans. It's not a surprise that forecasting in the Sea to Sky is challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Yeah, looks old great.

Low-mid mountain freezinglevels next 2 weeks and lots of snow.
    Wish we still had competing mountains with a motivation to open early. At this rate Cypress will again open earlier than WB.
    Attachment 391908
    Cypress was decent today Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0795.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	391953

Usually wait till it hits 150 before I get in to the trees-maybe that’ll be opening day

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Pray to Ullr that the potential "tropical fruit" system forecasted toward the end of the week doesn't do much damage to the snowpack.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    Cypress was decent today Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0795.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	391953
    Looks pretty good, how was coverage?

great on the runs. a couple feet of north shore cement pads the sharks nicely. get it while you can, looks like it'll get washed away this weekend

Deep and unconsolidated

See what tomorrow brings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1636439162.584974.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	392087

Name:	4A29E658-6679-46A6-974C-95236732B24D.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	954.4 KB 
ID:	392088

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Any rumblings of an early opening or is that DOA with Vail running things?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Any rumblings of an early opening or is that DOA with Vail running things?
    if it happens doubt it will be more than weekend before scheduled.

Off the hook deep out there today!!

Name:	Image1636513905.258013.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	756.5 KB 
ID:	392174

I'm looking into joining some friends from Dec 18th thru the 23rd to ski Whistler, although I've never been. Based on the snowfall so far, what can I expect the conditions to be like during that time? I'd also like to do a day or two of touring in the area too. Any good place to find partners or guides? AIARE 1 cert.

Hard to say what conditions will be like. We’re off to a good start but it could rain or be dry or dump. You’re going to get what you’re going to get. It’s impossible/pointless to speculate what the weather will be like that week.

It’ll be Christmas holidays so expect big lineups and expensive everything. If you can afford it, a ski lesson is a great way to avoid lineups.

Touring is usually good to go by then. If you and your crew don’t know the zone, consider hiring a guide. You’ll get the goods and you won’t need to worry about what’s good or where to go.

Dave Sarkany is my recommendation for a backcountry guide but there are lots of good ones. Of course you can just go yourself or look for a mag to hook you up.

Whistler 21/22

What’s the status of Extremely Canadian nowadays?

I basically had a private everyday with Felix, Joe or Tom. Ripping guides, over a Holiday weekend, during a huge storm cycle, was outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    What’s the status of Extremely Canadian nowadays?

I basically had a private everyday with Felix, Joe or Tom. Ripping guides, over a Holiday weekend, during a huge storm cycle, was outstanding!
    Extremely is going gangbusters. Getting back to busy.. Would also recommend Dave Sarkany

That’s good!

I always thought VR would push out the founders, so they could keep the revenue for themselves.

Am I allowed to ask a question that doesn't have to do with atmospheric rivers? Returning to WB for just the second time - probably late Feb early March. What is the deal with the woods between the top of the Crystal Chair and the Glacier Road? It's off the map as a "Cliff Area", and when I was there I feel like it was roped. But there's plenty of footage of great looking trees (CBC glades) that parallel Outer Limits. Is it open? Closed? Delete this post and ski it? Would love to hike the Chimney and then connect the Grey Zone to this, unless I'm risking a skydive in there somewhere. Giddy up.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Am I allowed to ask a question that doesn't have to do with atmospheric rivers? Returning to WB for just the second time - probably late Feb early March. What is the deal with the woods between the top of the Crystal Chair and the Glacier Road? It's off the map as a "Cliff Area", and when I was there I feel like it was roped. But there's plenty of footage of great looking trees (CBC glades) that parallel Outer Limits. Is it open? Closed? Delete this post and ski it? Would love to hike the Chimney and then connect the Grey Zone to this, unless I'm risking a skydive in there somewhere. Giddy up.
    It's not that gnarly in there, if you stay to the left. Or was it the right? I can't remember. 50/50 chance you're good.

Just follow someone with an Australian accent and you'll be okay.

This gives a good perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Deep and unconsolidated

See what tomorrow brings

Name:	Image1636439162.584974.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	392087

Name:	4A29E658-6679-46A6-974C-95236732B24D.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	954.4 KB 
ID:	392088

Looks delish

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    It's not that gnarly in there, if you stay to the left. Or was it the right? I can't remember. 50/50 chance you're good.

Just follow someone with an Australian accent and you'll be okay.

This gives a good perspective.
    Ha, thanks. I’ve actually been using this map to talk my travel buddy into stuff. Look for an update next year with our bodies on there. I have the WB paperback also, but it’s an old version. Wasn’t sure if CBC had been excommunicated from the open terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    In Canada "closed" means closed and "ski area boundary" means no ski patrol past this point; be careful and have fun.

CBC glades has some dodgy bits and small cliffs so a little caution is a good thing until you're familiar with the area.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll get a guide for at least one day of touring. Extremely Canadian does a group tour that will take you to do laps on Decker Mountain for a good price. Does anyone have experience with that guide vs. Dave Sarkany or Black Sheep Adventure Sports, that latter being private guided trips? I'd be interested in full day of touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Extremely is going gangbusters. Getting back to busy.. Would also recommend Dave Sarkany

Theres been some weird signs in CBC proper the past 5 years i think, though i dont really remember seeing them last year.
    Can def link up Chimney to CBC, though you'd be going thru some gnarly terrain that is heavily corniced, exposed and often slides. Def wanna be careful in that area as there isnt a lot of room for error. Same goes with CBC. If it looks too good to be true at 3pm then it probably is.

Looking pretty good.

Name:	s1_L.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	393235

That last storm seemed to cake the alpine. We havent had many 1800m freezing level storms in the past few years, especially early season. Its so helpful to get them sharks covered early and have a good base for snow to stick to rather than rock for the big faces.