Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    How’s off-piste looking? Headed up with the masses Fri-Sat and hoping to get off the groomers.
    Should be some pretty good chalk above 1500m, aspect dependent. Not sure how high the FL spiked today but would suspect some nasty freeze/thaw conditions mid mountain. Alpine should be relatively unscathed save some sun effect on heavily exposed aspects.

Boarding my flight after a banner four days and topping off my stoke reserves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1646433558.606861.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	962.3 KB 
ID:	408283

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearNachos21 View Post
    What was the temp? looks like a great day and great skiing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was -6C Wed. Cooler than mon tues.

Village was full spring mode this morning but chilly up top.

Fuck me gas hit 1.95$ in Pemberton yesterday. I paid for parking on the day lots today, it think that may be cheaper than burning gas driving up to lot 6….

Hey all, heading up to whistler for a spring break trip with me and one of my kids (15), we'll be there from the 16-20th. What's the latest on travel into Canada from US? Proof of vaccination, yes, but do you need a negative test to enter the country? Also, any recommendations for where to eat in the village? it's been 20 years exactly since I've been to whistler, looking forward to it, let it snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Hey all, heading up to whistler for a spring break trip with me and one of my kids (15), we'll be there from the 16-20th. What's the latest on travel into Canada from US? Proof of vaccination, yes, but do you need a negative test to enter the country? Also, any recommendations for where to eat in the village? it's been 20 years exactly since I've been to whistler, looking forward to it, let it snow.
    Here is the current checklist: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

Proof of vaccination and results of a professionally administered COVID test still required. The only change is that the type of test accepted has been broadened. I just crossed from WA to BC on Thursday and border agents were being much more thorough than the prior two trips. Nothing special for getting back to the US.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

If your kid likes burgers, Splitz Burger has a new(ish) owner and it was better than past years. And I even liked it before.

Personally a huge fan of the Splitz Smokehouse burger

SMOKEHOUSE
    SMOKED CHEDDAR, BACON JAM, CRISPY ONIONS, CHIPOTLE MAYO, BBQ SAUCE, COLESLAW, LETTUCE, PICKLE.

Anyone know if George McConkey (formerly of McCoo's) at Whistler Village Sports is still fitting boots there? Are there fitters at Fanatyk Co. who are also good (have been told in the past that the answer is yes, so I assume it's still true, but I've only gone to McConkey)?
    [quote][//quote]

Hunter Gather across the street from splitz is also pretty good

I still love Sushi Village.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Once you get in, that is. The food is great, but they're always kind of mean to us for some reason. I wonder if it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Anyone know if George McConkey (formerly of McCoo's) at Whistler Village Sports is still fitting boots there? Are there fitters at Fanatyk Co. who are also good (have been told in the past that the answer is yes, so I assume it's still true, but I've only gone to McConkey)?
    I've seen him in there this season working on boots, so I assume he's still at it. It's an EVO now fyi.

also out of the same spot, I've had very good success with my tricky feet with Barry (http://skiconnexions.ca). He works beside Mcconkey, and he's the only one who's ever gotten me into boots with both comfort and performance. He's done 4/4 of my shells successfully so far now.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Once you get in, that is. The food is great, but they're always kind of mean to us for some reason. I wonder if it's just me.
    After dealing with people abusing you non stop for something you can't control (ie 2 hour table waits), hosts generally lose most of the motivation for inane pleasantries. Having seen this first hand for the past 7 years and seeing the behaviour of (generally boomer aged) people, i'm surprised more people aren't viciously attacked in restaurants by hosts...

Have some pics from some gnar over the weekend, but they all keep getting rotated.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, love that place. Is the Mongolian place still around? It was always a hit with our groups.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Yeah, love that place. Is the Mongolian place still around? It was always a hit with our groups.
    Mongolie Grill. Yes, as far as I know it's still open.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    After dealing with people abusing you non stop for something you can't control (ie 2 hour table waits), hosts generally lose most of the motivation for inane pleasantries. Having seen this first hand for the past 7 years and seeing the behaviour of (generally boomer aged) people, i'm surprised more people aren't viciously attacked in restaurants by hosts...
    Nah, I'm like overly friendly and accommodating to people who work in any service industry - that ain't it. Sushi Village just has this thing, where they seem upset that I ever had the idea that I could get some sushi there. I don't care about the long wait, I'll go have a beers somewhere else and they'll call me when the table's ready. This happened once, it was great!

One other time I got to the take-my-number phase and was then told we wouldn't have enough time to eat, but do I want to leave my name and number anyway. I was confused, couldn't get a straight answer, like if you're going to close soon and can't take us that's fine but just say so, but they wouldn't actually say this and kept saying "it's up to you." Bad vibes emanating from this attractive blonde australian hostess, so I bailed.

Last attempt was a classic - last year during COVID bullshit. My buddy I'm with LOVES sushi village. He's got a note in his phone with all his favourite menu items so he doesn't forget. Guy would probably get a sushi village tattoo. Anyway we don't want to eat inside and breathe others' air because we may get sick and die, so we opt for the takeout option, as was pretty standard during the time given the situation. We know it's busy, we know staffing probably is tough, and we want to make this work for everyone.
    So my buddy calls SV during the day, gets their machine saying when they open. So, later that day we are in the hot tub, buddy's watch alarm goes off reminding him SV is now open. He calls them, says he wants to put in an order for pickup around 7pm, do you even do this and is that cool. Girl on the phone tells him yeah we can do that but if he puts in his order now, it'll be ready in 20 minutes and if he wants it at 7, to just show up at 6:30 and order then. All good with us, no problem!
    Now, we know SV is popular. We know. We are there at 6:30 on the goddamn dot. I wait outside, buddy goes in to put in his order. I see lots of talking, buddy looks distraught. Aussie hostess has the look of annoyance that only another potential SV customer could extract. Buddy comes out, I think he's about to cry. "All good?" I ask. So what happened is they told him the order will take at least 2 hours to make, so come back at 9 and it'll be ready. He tells her that she told him not to order at 5 or whatever and to come there now. She says something like well now it's a 2 hour wait.
    I told my buddy I'll wait for 9 if he wants, but he felt too betrayed to do it.

A couple days later at the airport out of nowhere he says "you know paul, I've come to realize that if we want sushi village, we're just going to have to accept that they're gonna be kind of mean to us."

I'm excited to see what our next SV attempt will be like next week. We know they will be mean. We know they may lie. We are ready. We will get the sushi. Sorry for wall of text.

Have some pics from some gnar over the weekend, but they all keep getting rotated.
    Super annoying. You need to save them to your computer, open each one in mspaint or something, rotate them 360 degrees manually and save. They should show up correctly after that. This is how I do it, at least.

Haha yeah that all sounds familiar. Generally we tell people we can't seat them when we honestly think they wont make it before we close. We do sometimes take their number in case people bail, which when you are quoting 2 hours + for a table happens frequently. Its such a tough job for the hosts, they get pressured by management to get people in the door, they get yelled at by guests, and they get hassled by servers for not sitting fun groups, or when there is more than a 2 minute gap in tables, or they double seat. Couldn't pay me $50 an hour for that shit.

Its definitely fun place to drink/party thats for sure. Mexican Corner is similar vibes (in all areas)

thanks for all the replies, I love both yelling at and getting yelled at by staff, sounds like a blast, TGR continues to be THE place to go for information on the web.

Love Sushi Vill.
    SASS roll is great. SMASS roll is amazing.
    My wife and are frequent guests. Show up early, put your name on the list, then wander around town till they text you for your table. Midweek is usually 30-45 minutes for a table of 2 or sushi bar. Weekends can be unobtainable. We don’t even bother.

Sachi sushi is good too.
    Also Creekbread in Creekside for pizza.

Same program. Order early, expect chaos on weekends.

... the idea that I could get some sushi there. ...
    yeah, see that's where you got it wrong. you're going there for sake bombs and margs.
    The sushi is just garnish.

I've never encountered any rudeness at Sushi Village, though have definitely had to do the walk around town thing waiting for a text that my table's ready. Yeah, Creekbread is damn good, too. I like Quattro for a slightly more upscale option. My wife doesn't eat meat, so I'm not real dialed-in on the more carnivore-centric choices.

Haha yeah that all sounds familiar. Generally we tell people we can't seat them when we honestly think they wont make it before we close. We do sometimes take their number in case people bail, which when you are quoting 2 hours + for a table happens frequently. Its such a tough job for the hosts, they get pressured by management to get people in the door, they get yelled at by guests, and they get hassled by servers for not sitting fun groups, or when there is more than a 2 minute gap in tables, or they double seat. Couldn't pay me $50 an hour for that shit.

Its definitely fun place to drink/party thats for sure. Mexican Corner is similar vibes (in all areas)
    What place you work at? Maybe we can stop to say hello.

What place you work at? Maybe we can stop to say hello.
    Mexican Corner, but only part time, so not always there. DM closer to your arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    TGR continues to be THE place to go for information on the web.
    Not sure about that. Someone somehow should have told me about the cinnnamon “roll” (house?) at Hot Buns before I was this many days old.

Also second Hunter Gather - brisket is solid. Get it with the taters and corn bread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1646849850.158849.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	408814

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Years ago when summers weren’t so crazy, used to be able to get in pretty easily, so many good times getting loaded on sake margs with a decent size crew… wake up with an awful hangover from the sugar but since the bike park runs 10-8 who cares…

Looks like a pattern change finally on Friday. Hope this one delivers! Biking has been amazing on the shore but would like some more pow days please.