Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

We picked the right ski day on our four day Easter weekend. It was nuking all day yesterday. By 4pm the snow was balls deep for the 5 year old. He could pretty much just straight line down the side of Buzzcut balls deep.

I snagged a solo 3pm Glacier lap just before it shut down, enough wind up in the alpine to make it variable and hunt for the wind deposited goodness. Lower Secret Chute was well loaded and delivered.

4pm Jersey laps were deep. Dragged the 7yr old in over his head on Jersey lift line, some crying on his part to muster up the guts for steeps, but it was deep.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Same slide trigger and similar slide path as the April 6 size 2

Quote Originally Posted by hbfs View Post
    Same slide trigger and similar slide path as the April 6 size 2
    Yeah. Interesting that we actually get some details, and that there was cornice debris involved as well. Lucky outcomes all round.

What a weird season. Who would have thought one of the best spankies laps of year would come mid April. Great day.

granted my spring skiing days haven't happened much in the past couple years <COUGHCOVIDCLOSURECOUGH>, but, is this actually as per usual??

Whistler Blackcomb Operations
    @wbmtnops
    #WBOps Glacier Express is closed for the season as per our usual spring operations.
    2:56 PM · Apr 19, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    granted my spring skiing days haven't happened much in the past couple years <COUGHCOVIDCLOSURECOUGH>, but, is this actually as per usual??
    No clue if this is usual, but Crystal and Showcase are also closed for the season as per @wbmtnops. Presumably, Blackcomb Glacier is closed for the season too.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

So if that's the case, what are they going to have open for the rest of the spring? 7th, jersey and gondola? I was thinking of heading up tomorrow since I missed today, and a few more times this month
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I def remember seeing you in line at Glacier chair on a May pow day many years ago, but yeah over the past 5-8 years or so its been predominately 7th and Jersey. I've ridden a lot of the spring (when it was opened) and it was always this way.

I love how Vail's line is that it's SOP for those lifts to close in spring.

I mean, on anything other than a pow day its really all you need open. The mountain is pretty much deserted from here on out and you can get everywhere from there. Im just fucking pumped we get til ride til May 24 this year and looking at the forecast its gonna be great!

Anyone know if they will try to limit backcountry access? Will they close and enforce the closure towards Horstman? Will they sell backcountry passes? I expect the Blackcomb backcountry access route is open.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Anyone know if they will try to limit backcountry access? Will they close and enforce the closure towards Horstman? Will they sell backcountry passes? I expect the Blackcomb backcountry access route is open.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Yeah this is interesting to me too. I have been working 6-2 and hustling to make last 7th and get out of bounds. I've been hit by a no hiking up hill sign on the way to the stupids 3 times in the past two weeks. Most of the time i put my head down and walk past it, but i'm always expecting to get yelled at. Im hoping because the glacier is boundary now, they will be less likely to stop you.

I def remember seeing you in line at Glacier chair on a May pow day many years ago, but yeah over the past 5-8 years or so its been predominately 7th and Jersey. I've ridden a lot of the spring (when it was opened) and it was always this way.
    I remember only jersey and 7th open during the week but glacier and t bar open on weekends. They definitely never used to close them for the season after whis closed.

Maybe i just rode mid week? Or have my timescale mixed up. Or am just dumb. Likely the last two.

Maybe i just rode mid week? Or have my timescale mixed up. Or am just dumb. Likely the last two.
    long covid?! haha TBH, I don't even really remember my last really good spring skiing day, so I'm not one to talk!

yeah this was anywhere from 5-10 years ago, exactly when i couldn't say. also stoked to ride till the end of may. love driving up and back in shorts and flipflops

I will give credit to Vail for keeping the Edge card as a pass option and keeping the price low. I decided to go with a 5 day Edge card next season rather than going full Epic. The restricted five day is $315 USD. Ikon has something similar with their four day Session pass, but that's $419 USD for only four days!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I will give credit to Vail for keeping the Edge card as a pass option and keeping the price low. I decided to go with a 5 day Edge card next season rather than going full Epic. The restricted five day is $315 USD. Ikon has something similar with their four day Session pass, but that's $419 USD for only four days!
    Every spring I'm surprised to see the Edge cards still exist. Look forward to the next Vail tweet "As per SOP, Edge cards are not sold for the upcoming ski/snowboard season."

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Every spring I'm surprised to see the Edge cards still exist. Look forward to the next Vail tweet "As per SOP, Edge cards are not sold for the upcoming ski/snowboard season."
    Yeah, the Edge card is still the best option for WA residents who don't ski at Stevens regularly. Will probably pick one up this year again.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Edge card? We never sold something called an Edge card!

Of course it does seem like they've gradually moved the "free early skiing" end date up a bit each year. Seems like a few years ago it went up to maybe a week before Christmas, now the last day is 12/9.

7th closed. Crystal and Glacier spinning. Clearly they are setting up to just do whatever whenever as normal operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    7th closed. Crystal and Glacier spinning. Clearly they are setting up to just do whatever whenever as normal operation.
    7th engine is fried. Being replaced hence why Glacier is running.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Edge card? We never sold something called an Edge card!

Of course it does seem like they've gradually moved the "free early skiing" end date up a bit each year. Seems like a few years ago it went up to maybe a week before Christmas, now the last day is 12/9.
    I need to verify but pretty confident 10-12 years ago it was the Friday before the third weekend in December, or at least the second Sunday of December. Then it became the second Friday at some point.

Went with a 10 day Edge even though I only got 5 day Edge this winter. With a 1 & 3.5 year old and trying to time my days with mostly non-existent storms Jan to March it didn’t help motivate me out more. Hopefully more skiing next year as kiddos are older and slightly easier to manage.

To add onto above, did anyone that bought a pass/edge card get an email confirmation? I see the charge on my credit card but no email, usually get one. Weird.