Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Very doubtful that highway closes for anything other than accidents. Freezing level isnt too low so you should be fine

Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    Need some info on Hwy 99

am aplanning to drive up from Yvr to Whistler on saturday morning. staying for a week.
    was planning to drive up on saturday morning. but looking at the weather I am wondering if Hwy 99 might close.

what would be the best time to drive up.
    Highway 99 never closes unless it’s due to a severe accident (usually with a fatality). It’s well maintained, but it does snow to the valley with the right jet stream and this one looks reasonably cold. Last weekend it was dumping Friday night and Saturday morning and the road was a mess, so expect up to a 3 hour drive cuz it’s a storm Saturday right before Christmas. Possibly no alpine lifts if storm/winds come early enough so insane lift lines as well.

Ensure your rental car has real winter tires if possible, not “M&S” which meets the legal limit but uses a harder rubber compound and sucks for actual winter driving. Worth paying more for real winter tires (with mountain snowflake logo).

Sunday is probably the better day, if winds die alpine could open. I’m banking on Monday.

Edit: best time to drive up is leaving YVR at 5am to beat some of the traffic. If you are passing through downtown after 6:30 you are gonna have a bad time.

You can also check the drivebc.ca site for camera views, advisories, etc. There are several cameras between Squamish and Whistler so you'll get an idea of what road conditions are like.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    I see no need to ever ski a weekend at Whistler. I don't care how much snow there is.
    Agreed

Mild Arctic outflow today. very slight glacier windskin on N facing slopesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211216_134428.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	397007Name:  IMG_20211216_135644_168.jpeg
Views: 800
Size:  64.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211216_134247.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	397009

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Highway 99 never closes unless it’s due to a severe accident (usually with a fatality). It’s well maintained, but it does snow to the valley with the right jet stream and this one looks reasonably cold. Last weekend it was dumping Friday night and Saturday morning and the road was a mess, so expect up to a 3 hour drive cuz it’s a storm Saturday right before Christmas. Possibly no alpine lifts if storm/winds come early enough so insane lift lines as well.

Ensure your rental car has real winter tires if possible, not “M&S” which meets the legal limit but uses a harder rubber compound and sucks for actual winter driving. Worth paying more for real winter tires (with mountain snowflake logo).

Sunday is probably the better day, if winds die alpine could open. I’m banking on Monday.

Edit: best time to drive up is leaving YVR at 5am to beat some of the traffic. If you are passing through downtown after 6:30 you are gonna have a bad time.
    Can you even get proper snow tires on cars at YVR? I don't think you could in the past.

I'd say if you're not past Squamish by 6:30am you gonna have a bad time.

Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Can you even get proper snow tires on cars at YVR? I don't think you could in the past.

I'd say if you're not past Squamish by 6:30am you gonna have a bad time.
    I haven’t tried but was told you can at certain agencies if you pay more. Wouldn’t be surprised if you can’t.

And you’re right about 6:30 Squamish on a powder weekend day. Need to be in line at 7ish. Fun times. I remember leaving downtown at 6:30 in the early 2010s (weekends), slowly crept down to 5:45 from Mount Pleasant over the years. Last winter with the COVID protocols I left at 4:45 which was just silly, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to ski lift served pow on a schedule.

Blackcomb slack looking nice Lee! Jealous from my cube.

am aplanning to drive up from Yvr to Whistler on saturday morning.
    What time does your flight get in?

Need some info on Hwy 99

am aplanning to drive up from Yvr to Whistler on saturday morning. staying for a week.
    was planning to drive up on saturday morning. but looking at the weather I am wondering if Hwy 99 might close.

what would be the best time to drive up.
    Highway 99 between Vancouver and Whistler hardly ever closes, it might be slow and they might be checking that your tires are winter rated. If you aren’t trying to squeeze a day of skiing in on Saturday, drive up late morning or early afternoon to avoid the day skier rush.

Thanks a lot guys. I get in Friday night. Staying for a week. Will probably start late morning, take it slow and see if I can ski an hour or two. They probably won’t open alpine. But looking forward to rest of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Have you considered driving to Squamish on Friday night to get a jump on the Vancouver traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    I see no need to ever ski a weekend at Whistler. I don't care how much snow there is.
    Yeeah a few years ago I’d argue weekends are fine. Tuesday-Thursday is the way!

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Yes, if you use Enterprise/Alamo or Budget. Not sure about the rest.

Great pics LeeLau! Making my first trip to Whistler ever from Sun thru Wed with two days in the backcountry with a guide. Based on forecast and recent avy obs, I’m assuming it will be mellow terrain on the Whistler side.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Great pics LeeLau! Making my first trip to Whistler ever from Sun thru Wed with two days in the backcountry with a guide. Based on forecast and recent avy obs, I’m assuming it will be mellow terrain on the Whistler side.

Probably. There's a persistent weak layer from Dec 2 which needs a bit of care. Hope you get out into Blackcomb as the glacier touring is insanely scenic and there's a lot of terrain

Good God the webcams are making me drool today. Talk about free refills!

Deep to the valley looked like. McConkeys trees filled in enough yet? Alpine tomorrow from looks of the forecast. Enjoy guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Deep to the valley looked like. McConkeys trees filled in enough yet? Alpine tomorrow from looks of the forecast. Enjoy guys.
    Crystal all filled in. Gray zone too. Can't speak for WHistler but it looked above average there too

was going to come up for afternoon ski but traffic stopped before brohm at 12:45 so cut my losses and turned around. tomorrow should be good!

Wow today was good. No lines either. Where was everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    but I understand the baby danger right now.
    Are you talking about the skiing or the night life in Whistler?

Weather data looks like low winds through the entire storm today, so on the one hand that helps with control work, on the other they have the PWL to contend with so going to be a lot of explosions tomorrow morning. Any bombs going off today?

Selfishly hoping for a later opening tomorrow so there are some scraps left on Monday for me, at least a couple lines off Flute would be nice. Have fun tomorrow guys.

Whistler 21/22

Ok everyone, I haven’t skied Whistler in decades and trying to get an idea of whether it is like that the upper lifts will be open by next week. Last minute holiday travel plans to the UK just blew up so we are looking for an alternative trip the week between Xmas and New Years. I know this is a busy time of year, what can we expect for crowds mid week and is it likely that the Alpine would be open in week or so?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devon View Post
    Ok everyone, I haven’t skied Whistler in decades and trying to get an idea of whether it is like that the upper lifts will be open by next week. Last minute holiday travel plans to the UK just blew up so we are looking for an alternative trip the week between Xmas and New Years. I know this is a busy time of year, what can we expect for crowds mid week and is it likely that the Alpine would be open in week or so?

Thanks
    It's likely alpine will be open but as always everything depends on weather and snowfall. Having said that there tends to be more staff on deck as the holiday crowds come. Mid week crowds are not bad.

Enjoy

Edit. Whistler base hit 200cms!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    It's likely alpine will be open but as always everything depends on weather and snowfall. Having said that there tends to be more staff on deck as the holiday crowds come. Mid week crowds are not bad.

Enjoy

Edit. Whistler base hit 200cms!!
    Thanks so much.

Glacier chair now spinning on Blackcomb. Pretty sure that's the first it's been running this season.