Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeius View Post
    Imagine pitching your tent at the front of the line for Whistler Gondola 16+ hours before opening, chilling with buddies, firing up the stoke. You go to sleep with dream of first Gondi of the year and an entire mountain of fresh tracks waiting for you at the top. And then you wake up and the Gondi isn't running............

Lol.

Maintenance knew 12min before Fitz cracked

Some lifty coulda brought the campers over, woulda been more than happy to let them in. Oh well, live and learn. Lesson for the kids.
    Sometimes ya can show up an hr before it cracks and be in the 1st chair to the top.

11am still good pow down to top of Excel—edit—Excalibur
    Should be great w some vis tomorrow

Note to others, they weren’t selling backcountry lift tickets today

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

I recall someone dropping some knowledge in last years thread regarding the lift maintenance staffing changes. From memory I think it was cut backs and low pay for new hires but don't quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeius View Post
    Imagine pitching your tent at the front of the line for Whistler Gondola 16+ hours before opening, chilling with buddies, firing up the stoke. You go to sleep with dream of first Gondi of the year and an entire mountain of fresh tracks waiting for you at the top. And then you wake up and the Gondi isn't running............

Lol.

Seems like something a major corporations whose main focus is taking in as much money as possible while cutting every expense possible should focus on
    FTFY.

I certainly don't remember this level of cluster pre-acquisition. Trend is evident at their other acquisitions as well.

It walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.

Not the greatest start for lift ops.
    Name:  Capture112521.PNG
Views: 1773
Size:  184.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Big slides in the alpine on both mountains. No hiking today.
    Yes. There is a pronounced very stout windslab above 2000m. We skied between 1850 to 2000m on SW and NE aspects.

HS varied from 145 on windward to 225cms on leeward. Temps -2 with scattered clouds and sunny breaks. Where there's no wind effect approx 30cms of low density snow overlays a MF crust followed by what felt like a denser pencil layer approx 60 down.

Nil results on SW slopes. Dropped a small cornice on NE slopes also with nil results

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211126_125743.jpeg 
Views:	177 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	394135Name:  20211126_125926.jpeg
Views: 1654
Size:  91.7 KBName:  IMG-20211126-WA0002.jpeg
Views: 1632
Size:  60.8 KBName:  20211126_130018.jpeg
Views: 1608
Size:  44.8 KB

Thanks for the beta. Thinking about heading up to Brohm. there's more than a few safe lines.

Until approximately 11am it was good till approx Excalibur gondola top upon which it got sticky. Amount of moisture in this system is so mega the wet bulb is making it snow all the way to valley despite increasing temps. Very solid base Name:  20211127_104936.jpeg
Views: 1506
Size:  33.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211127_105005.jpeg 
Views:	146 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	394248

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Stay home today. Rain day high hazard
    way ahead of you on that one, and on my second coffee....

good to see you Friday, stay dry(ish)!

Bikes still go in Pemby at least.. if the the deluge holds off for a bit

Getting the full Whis experience over the last few days. Sun, snow, rain...

I don't love being that guy, but I don't see many other options and the maggots can make things happen...

Does anyone have any useful leads/info on Whistler housing? I promise - and can share proof/references - that I'm a solid and mature tenant. Looking to ski and work on a Master's (remotely) for the season. Any help would be truly appreciated and will be compensated in beer.

The '20-'21 thread was useful for Whistler housing resources - Facebook groups, CL, etc. - however, I've still yet to find anything solid for the '22 season. I've basically only seen ~3 solid legitimate postings. Besides the few legit listings, the only other option is hostel/hotel/airbnb living for the season which is a tadddd pricey. If the answer is "yeah, it sucks. Good luck." I can work with that too. It might just be my ignorance on the challenge of living in a ski town. (And maybe I need to start looking elsewhere). Thanks all.

Sorry, fool, I've got nothing on that front. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I don't love being that guy, but I don't see many other options and the maggots can make things happen...

Does anyone have any useful leads/info on Whistler housing? I promise - and can share proof/references - that I'm a solid and mature tenant. Looking to ski and work on a Master's (remotely) for the season. Any help would be truly appreciated and will be compensated in beer.

The '20-'21 thread was useful for Whistler housing resources - Facebook groups, CL, etc. - however, I've still yet to find anything solid for the '22 season. I've basically only seen ~3 solid legitimate postings. Besides the few legit listings, the only other option is hostel/hotel/airbnb living for the season which is a tadddd pricey. If the answer is "yeah, it sucks. Good luck." I can work with that too. It might just be my ignorance on the challenge of living in a ski town. (And maybe I need to start looking elsewhere). Thanks all.
    Yeah it sucks. Good luck.
    One new girl at work is paying 1500 to share a room at Southside Diner in the old hostel.
    I'm not sure if you're here but the few listings i've seen lately have been swarmed on. I'd buy a decent camper truck combo and go down that route.

Looking pretty good up there. Lots of bombing this morning.

Name:	IMG_20211129_093951611_HDR.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	956.4 KB 
ID:	394608

I can't help you with Whistler, but everywhere in the B.C. Interior is less crowded, less expensive, less rain, drier snow.

I know lifts actually close a bit before or after posted, but close times are being posted by VailCo at 2pm (can't recall seeing that before), not the usual 3 for early months. Are lifties actually starting to wind things down around 2ish?

With this unusual warm wet, they should've limited the thaw/freeze mid levels and opened up the high & dry.

2:00 (2:15) from the valley.
    3:00 (3:15) for mid mountain lifts

Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Yeah it sucks. Good luck.
    One new girl at work is paying 1500 to share a room at Southside Diner in the old hostel.
    I'm not sure if you're here but the few listings i've seen lately have been swarmed on. I'd buy a decent camper truck combo and go down that route.
    Jeeeeezus, 1500 to share a presumably very crappy room. Brutal.

Hoping for some cold storms on the horizon next week.

Anyone make it up today? The village has been gloomy as hell but I’ve been hearing the skiing up high isn’t terrible.

Yesterday wasnt terrible.
    Hot pow abounded til 2:45ish but its probably all fucked now.

Sigh.

Can confirm….
    It’s alllll fucked

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Can confirm….
    It’s alllll fucked
    It’s fucked
    Terrifying sheet ice, frozen chunder, mandatory download

Except if ya do 5 mini golf laps on the top 200m of the glacier.

Name:	Image1638501365.192720.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	395014

Alpine is opening Saturday
    Wind scoured in many places, the few pockets will probably be picked over by then.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Whistler 21/22

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    I can't help you with Whistler, but everywhere in the B.C. Interior is less crowded, less expensive, less rain, drier snow.
    Thanks, t.odd, nortonwhis, and DanoT. I should investigate interior BC spots a bit more - looking for a place that doesn't require a car and is (ideally) on Epic or Ikon. I'm going to start looking at non-Whistler towns soon, though I'll still do Whistler for January I think, and would be happy to buy a few mags beers regardless.

If anyone runs across any housing options, please PM me.
    Last edited by fool; 12-03-2021 at 11:15 AM.

... I should investigate interior BC spots a bit more - looking for a place that doesn't require a car and is (ideally) on Epic or Ikon...
    Unfortunately you would need to travel around to make much use of an Ikon or Epic pass. I think all you get is seven days of lift tix at each of their member resorts in B.C. (other than WB on Epic).