Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Awful news. RIP Powder11.

Sad news indeed.

Ugh. So sorry to hear this.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

jesus... i can't think about my time in whistler without thinking about toby, skiing with him was always such a blast.. so sad for his family. here's the article in the pique with a link to a gofundme for the kids education:

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/lo...-salin-5498122

apparently 3/4 WB avy forecasters have quit?

https://twitter.com/ryanbougie/statu...IMaVU3dMQqf5GA

That doesn't sound good

They better give the fourth person a big raise!

Whistler 21/22

Don’t worry. VR’s got a guy from Wilmot.

Maybe if they paid really well, they could get Lammers back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Don’t worry. VR’s got a guy from Wilmot.

Maybe if they paid really well, they could get Lammers back.
    Lol- Lammers is long gone and he’s not coming back!

he's slinging RE now!

Did isles leave? What about Haggerty? He saved SSV’s bacon when that resort fired all their patrollers.

haven't chatted with Tim recently so not sure if he's leaving too, although I'll admit that one would surprise me, but who knows these days!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    apparently 3/4 WB avy forecasters have quit?

https://twitter.com/ryanbougie/statu...IMaVU3dMQqf5GA
    Quit, maybe a couple ‘retired’

If Anton(forecaster? I dunno) left he probably retired.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

….Either way it’s a loss

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

insert popcorn eating gif here

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Same

You are no longer with WB right? Man, fucking Vail shit show will never end will it. This season is going to be something, gotta expect record visitors from US/abroad too.

Huge kudo’s and props to lles kid for winning MSA this weekend!

Whistler 21/22

And huge kudos to Red Bull TV for blasting his win on their site before I watched the live reply.

Great win tho.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    You are no longer with WB right?
    No I’m still there. 25 years and counting!

It’s going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out this winter.

One one hand a gigantic amount of experience is gone from the snow safety department. On the other hand, there’s still lots of very experienced and talented people on BSP. I’m guessing sharp eyed locals might pick up on some differences in lift openings and closings on marginal weather days, but I’d bet their program will more or less keep chugging along.

But what do I know.

Whistler 21/22

No I’m still there. 25 years and counting!

It’s going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out this winter.

One one hand a gigantic amount of experience is gone from the snow safety department. On the other hand, there’s still lots of very experienced and talented people on BSP. I’m guessing sharp eyed locals might pick up on some differences in lift openings and closings on marginal weather days, but I’d bet their program will more or less keep chugging along.

But what do I know.

Given that powder is Vail’s prime resource, and that terrain needs patrol clearance to open, why can’t Vail just hire another crew or two of patrollers to open terrain faster? They can afford to drop millions on lift upgrades it seems so why not spend a little more on patrol staff? Or is the timing of terrain opening not really a man power lssue?

^^^^

Is that a serious question? If the snow impacted ability to get to overpriced lunch you bet your ass vail would step up. For skiing? No fucking way

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I can’t comment on Vail’s motives. I’m not involved at that level. We do what we can with the resources we have.

I can say that both Whistler and blackcomb’s snow safety teams are fanatical about getting as much terrain open as fast and safely as possible. We start in the dark and bust our ass to get it done. Sometimes it’s fast, sometimes it’s slow. There’s so much going on behind the scenes that people never see. Lift issues, staffing levels, experience level of the crew on that day, to say nothing of weather and avalanche conditions. That has been the same whether we were owned by intrawest, Fortress, Vail, or any of the other ownership structures we’ve had over the years.

So many tiny variables can change a day from everything open at 10 am to not opening at all. Unless you’re part of the team you’ll never know. I’ve been on plenty of patrol exchanges all over North American and it’s the same at all the big resorts.

We hold ourselves to a very high standard. If you think you’re pissed off because it’s noon and the alpine isn’t open yet, believe me, we’re even more pissed about it than you are.

It must be August because I’m thinking about skiing again.
    For sure and I'm not calling anyone out here. I know you guys are busting your balls (and boxes) up there and doing your best with what you have. And I appreciate there is a tonne of work going behind the scene, so many variables difficult to control. I'm just saying when I see patrol heading up Spankies at 10am I think to myself maybe if they had another 8 patrollers per shift that 10 am could be 9 am.

But as Detrusor says, terrain opening probably isn't really their biggest priority, its just mine. Their biggest commodities are the high margin items like food and ski school.

I just saw a new announcement of two planned lift upgrades next summer: Fitz going to an 8-person chair and Jersey Cream to 6-person.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I just saw a new announcement of two planned lift upgrades next summer: Fitz going to an 8-person chair and Jersey Cream to 6-person.
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...893975274.html
    In Park City, the Park City Planning Department approved a permit to upgrade the Eagle and Silverlode lifts at Park City Mountain in April 2022, and the Planning Commission subsequently revoked that permit in June 2022. While the Company is committed to resolving our permit to upgrade the Eagle and Silverlode lifts in Park City, the Company intends to install the two previously-purchased lifts at Whistler Blackcomb in calendar year 2023, replacing the four-person high speed Jersey Cream lift with a new six-person high speed lift and replacing the four-person high speed Fitzsimmons lift with a new eight-person high speed lift. The Whistler Blackcomb lift installations remain subject to approvals.