Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 21/22

Whistler 21/22

Stoke
    Conditions
    Bitching.

It’s go time come Thursday by the look of the forecast-who’s gettin out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

It's a breezy 126KMH at 7th Heaven.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Guy who owned a house we'd stay in every March sold it for 3 million bucks. Good for him, but fuck me now i have to look for normal rentals like a dumbass asshole tourist and not just an asshole tourist anymore. Curse this property value spike!

Y'all don't have any 2 or 3br rentals Mon-Thu, do ya?

Are you looking for every week or just once in a while? A couple of years ago I was looking for a winter Monday to Thursday place but I ended up buying instead.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Are you looking for every week or just once in a while? A couple of years ago I was looking for a winter Monday to Thursday place but I ended up buying instead.
    Just the one week in March. Mon-Thu is usually easier to get. It's all good - we're just gonna bite the bullet and get something through the resort for now, and sort something out with the North Van friend/family network for next time.

Buying 2 years ago - nice move! Now? Not so much (maybe)!

Better thread title than last year but that was a low bar. One million mm of rain made for a rough October of work but damn if it might just pay off once these temps start dropping. Hoping Ullr blesses us with a hot start. One fired up Creekside resident checking in.

40cms at Pig Alley and a bit more on the way.
    That’s more than we’ve had on opening day on some shit years.

Remember fondly the days when Blackcomb and Whistler used to compete against one another to open as quick as possible.
    Nov 11th-think Nov 4th was the earliest.
    Alas-no more motivation from the corporate overlords.
    Just have to live vicariously through those that live in places like Tahoe

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

I was just thinking back trying to remember the earliest openin and I'm pretty sure it was Nov 4th in 2005 (although I didnt make it up until the 11th a week later).

I would loved to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure early openings are a thing of the past with Vail ownership and potential staff hiring/training related issues. With all the precip and low freezing levels they could probably be ready with the usual Red/Green opening next weekend if they really wanted.

It was an early Nov in 2005, because 2004/2005 was one of the worst seasons in WB history. in 2004/05 we could barely ski to the valley in mid January.
    BUT it dumped in late March early April.

was that the year we got over a metre in a week and they opened first weekend of november? Definitely feels like the days of weeks early opening are long gone, especially with vail...but they will certainly over hype opening 5 days earlier than their US thanksgiving scheduled date.

I did opening day at Blackcomb in mid Nov in the mid 1990s. There were 5 chairs running and about 5k skiers, 20 min lineups in the faster moving singles line. Everyone that I shared a chair ride with was a local from Whistler, Squamish or Pemberton, no Vancouverites.

That night it snowed about 6 inches but there were only about 1,000 skiers on the mountain. I guess for locals bagging opening day is more important than skiing fresh snow.

Whistler 21/22

Got a few good turns in Saturday.

Went back out today, 700m N face to start, a bit wind pressed up top. Another short sub alpine pow lap.
    For Nov 1st gotta be stoked.
    Good pow at and below tree line
    -Beware of Sharks-

Today..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1635817161.122552.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	391220

Name:	Image1635817190.412705.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	391221

Name:	Image1635817229.853909.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	391222

Name:	Image1635817266.598471.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	889.7 KB 
ID:	391223

Well done. Tow thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Guy who owned a house we'd stay in every March sold it for 3 million bucks. Good for him, but fuck me now i have to look for normal rentals like a dumbass asshole tourist and not just an asshole tourist anymore. Curse this property value spike!

Y'all don't have any 2 or 3br rentals Mon-Thu, do ya?
    No, but that sounds cheap...I'm gonna have to start looking in Canada.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    No, but that sounds cheap...I'm gonna have to start looking in Canada.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk
    It was 1.6M like 4 years ago. Crazy.

Three million is definitely the low end these days. Figure anything less than that is a fixer-upper.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Three million is definitely the low end these days. Figure anything less than that is a fixer-upper.
    yeah the in-laws are prepping to sell the now deceased grandparents cabin in Alpine which they built in the 60's, tried to convince them to sell it to Mrs. and I for (substantially) less than market but still a lot of money, no dice when the market is this wild.

Nice stoke, Maximus! Looking solid for beginning of November!

I dropped off my boots over a month ago for a warranty issue hoping to have it resolved quick....still waiting to hear if I'll be taken care of or if I need to start looking for something new.

I would imagine that the strata fees on this place were pretty high. Was in the Montebello community.

Market needs a bit of a reset.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I would imagine that the strata fees on this place were pretty high. Was in the Montebello community.
    My $3 million figure was for freeholds. Townhouses and condos are at least still a tad lower than that.

My $3 million figure was for freeholds. Townhouses and condos are at least still a tad lower than that.
    I looked at 2bd/2ba in Benchlands. Was 1.6m; before I could get back from vacation to even get a viewing it sold for 1.7m.

Fees were 900/mo. Prop tax was 500/mo. Resort fee is approx 300/mo. If I ignore the opportunity cost of the cash I spend on a place it would be approx 3k/month of expenses or approx 100/day to outright own (Utils, D/A, capex account etc).

The place I bought in 2019 was a one bedroom at Lost Lake Lodge. It goes into a nightly rental pool when I'm not using it. There's a management company that handles everything rental related. Pre-pandemic I was expecting a ROI of 2% after taxes, strata and management fees. It's busier in the summer when I'm not using it anyway. It's not a great ROI but it's appreciating in value and a place in Whistler that cost me nothing is sweet.

Bonus: it's ski out and the bus service is free.

THREE MILL for a Montebello attached duplex? Christ. I remember those being around $1M in 2013ish? My buddy bought a new build attached duplex in Creekside in January when things were a bit slow, figures it's already jumped in value over $500k. Crazy shit.

Bring on the snow... thanks for the stoke Maximus!

Our real estate agent sent us a listing that she said had 47 viewings and 12 offers. Sold for 300,000 (1.5 mill) over asking.

Seriously thinking of selling our place in Creekside next year. Don’t like having so much value tied up in one thing.

I'll take it for 300,000 under asking. Sell to me. Mag deal. Keep it in the family...

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedthesailor View Post
    I'll take it for 300,000 under asking. Sell to me. Mag deal. Keep it in the family...
    You have 13 posts, JONG.