Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How long can we play?

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Good article. Skiing was the first sport I noticed myself aging when I could sense myself slowing in bumps. Due to advances in ski technology I ski about as well now as I ever have. Big air is a thing of the past

After my meniscus "repair" in the right knee, my Ortho told me, no more bumps. I said, cool, I suck anyway.

I take many more runs these days visualizing being 80 than 18 I can tell you that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

About six years ago Jonesy and I were grilling brats in Mt Bachelor parking lot when a Lincoln Town car pulled in next to us. Older guy than us got out of passenger side. His jacket had an OverTheHillGang embroidered patch that said “90+6”.

He and daughter (his driver) had a brat and a beer with us before he hit the hill. Told us the secret is a sensible diet and vigorous exercise.

Saw an article later that he went skydiving for his 100th birthday. Sadly can’t locate the piece.

I wanna be like Art when I grow up.

I don't care how well you eat or how much you exercise, one good slam to the earth at that age will not end well. Although every now and then, when I'm lying on the cold hard ground in pain, I'm sure happy at that point I do a lot of upper body work.

Do you even lift, brah?

I'm depressed now

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Do you even lift, brah?
    I lift brats brah.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I do a lot of upper body work.
    Post a shirtless flex selfie.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Post a shirtless flex selfie.
    I'll just repost that request before you realize you really shouldn't have.

Avoiding the jarring stop start motion of team sports like soccer and basketball is a key to longevity in my moind.

The most recent sports injury I suffered was from pickle ball. Shits dangerous. I’m sticking to skiing and mountain biking.

To summarize:

Basketball and tennis are terrible for you.

Playing through pain is the dumbest thing you can do. It should be done only by pros trying to win championships.

Health benefit gained from exercise is an inverted U-shaped distribution.

My observation has been that the key to extend your sporting career to the max is to know the day that you are not as good as you you once were.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'll just repost that request before you realize you really shouldn't have.
    Go on, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

For the love of god. I hope that's a random dude from the Internet.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I take many more runs these days visualizing being 80 than 18 I can tell you that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yup, must preserve the body for the long haul.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I do 12oz curls.

I started noticing very much extended healing and recovery times well before a drop in ability. Of course, the associated stiffness and pain puts a damper on everything.

Re: the oldass skydiver guy? Taking risks at his age?!? OMG!
    Who fucking cares? That guy at that age gets a pass to do whatever the fuck he wants. He's won the race. Everything else is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Good article. Skiing was the first sport I noticed myself aging when I could sense myself slowing in bumps. Due to advances in ski technology I ski about as well now as I ever have. Big air is a thing of the past
    I agree good article.

The thing about the gear is fact as far as I'm concerned. At 62 last season I skied the best I've ever skied. Not like I am super awesome but moving to NTN bindings and rockered skis, somehow I am no longer in the back seat.

I skied once with ML and VTF at the Bush and they took me into Slide Brook. I couldn't even stay upright for more than a few turns. I'd like a do over. What an awesome mountain. For a skier like me, gear matters.

And yet there is a school of thought that wide skis are bad for the knees.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 10-24-2021 at 06:06 PM.

I think about this a lot as I notice my abilities waning. I did some road riding this summer with a guy in his mid 60s who's a homebuilder / GC. It's a small operation; he builds one house at a time, and does a lot of the work himself. He would come to rides and say shit like "rough day at work, I carried 30 sheets of plywood up three flights of stairs for a roofing project". Then he would drop the hammer - he was usually the first person up our biggest climb.

No doubt he has great genetics, but it really made me appreciate the value of keeping after it as you get older, and not limiting yourself to a single activity, but doing a range of stuff, both strength training and cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    About six years ago Jonesy and I were grilling brats in Mt Bachelor parking lot when a Lincoln Town car pulled in next to us.
    I had to read this sentence twice. For some reason I thought TBS and Jonesy were giving some brat kids are hard time in the Bachy parking lot.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I think about this a lot as I notice my abilities waning. I did some road riding this summer with a guy in his mid 60s who's a homebuilder / GC. It's a small operation; he builds one house at a time, and does a lot of the work himself. He would come to rides and say shit like "rough day at work, I carried 30 sheets of plywood up three flights of stairs for a roofing project". Then he would drop the hammer - he was usually the first person up our biggest climb.

No doubt he has great genetics, but it really made me appreciate the value of keeping after it as you get older, and not limiting yourself to a single activity, but doing a range of stuff, both strength training and cardio.
    Fair enough and respect to your bud but I'll add not doing physical work for a living as a further criteria for athletic longevity. Carpenters and their ilk, the moment they stop those dudes are broken forever, not to mention the fact that most of those dudes exert themselves to such an extent at work that they do jack squat on the weekends. Exceptions exist for sure and I know I am generalizing but think of who you meet on the skin tracks and up tracks of the mountain world. The blue collars are vastly under represented.

Avoid getting hurt.

Don't stop doing things. Res firma mitescre nescit.

Get ample rest.