WTB: Sony RX100 iii or iv

Want to buy a Sony RX100 iii or iv. I’ve got some ski trips planned this winter and would like to shoot some photos better than on my old iPhone. I understand that I want at least a iii for the viewfinder and outdoor use. I’ve been watching EBay but was wondering if any Mags are holding?

WTB: Sony RX100 iii or iv

Reason you aren’t looking at a mark v?

The autofocus updates from the iv to the v are massive - 25pts to 315 phase detection pts (really great for capturing moving subjects, like a skier). Other than that the only notable differences are related to write speeds/buffer. Whatever model you end up with you’ll definitely want to carry a spare battery or two.

They are great cameras, I’ve carried the mark v as my lightweight, pocketable camera for years.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Reason you aren’t looking at a mark v?

The autofocus updates from the iv to the v are massive - 25pts to 315 phase detection pts (really great for capturing moving subjects, like a skier). Other than that the only notable differences are related to write speeds/buffer. Whatever model you end up with you’ll definitely want to carry a spare battery or two.

They are great cameras, I’ve carried the mark v as my lightweight, pocketable camera for years.
    Only because I’m cheap. I’ve read here that the external viewfinder was mandatory for bright outdoor shooting which started with the MKiii.

I just purchased a MKiii off eBay with 2 batteries, all manuals, and some extras for $300. Seller described as mint and photos looked good. We’ll see… Excited to get back into it.

Wish I had seen this earlier. I have a mk IV that I bought a few years ago - ditched my dslr setup because it was so damn heavy. It's a great little camera, and perfect for outdoor activities where you don't want to lug something big around. I have mostly been using my phone, but I've thought about breaking out the Sony again this ski season. Skiing often has more challenging lighting conditions - brilliant bright lighting with massive dynamic range or very flat lighting where a lot of detail is critical to pull out in post.

Might try to swap my IV for a V; they really hold their value well.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Only because I’m cheap. I’ve read here that the external viewfinder was mandatory for bright outdoor shooting which started with the MKiii.

I just purchased a MKiii off eBay with 2 batteries, all manuals, and some extras for $300. Seller described as mint and photos looked good. We’ll see… Excited to get back into it.
    Nice, can't go wrong for that price. They are all excellent cameras, you're going to be stoked with the results. Don't forget you'll owe us some pics this winter!