Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Weird Object Found in the Woods

And now it's time for the umpteenth installment of, identify this odd object found in the New England woods!

What could it be this time ... old stone foundation, chimney, or wall? (nah, we have far too many of those here to be of any interest) ... boundary marker? (ditto) ... barbed wire? (ditto) ... beer cans a seemingly impossibly far distance from any trails (ditto) ... Patriots folding stadium seat far away from any trail (still haven't figured out that one from a few years ago) ... lift towers, snowmaking hydrants, and night skiing light poles? (these are always somewhat disconcerting to find: https://www.newenglandskihistory.com...eylockglen.php) ... Gabby Petito van life murder copycat? (oh dear, that's no joke: https://vtdigger.org/2021/10/21/penn...der-defendant/) ... remote sensing device? (the convincing consensus here was something like a bird song monitoring project).

So yesterday I found a six-stranded metal cable looped into a tree, then diving into the ground. (Although perhaps the underground part was not the original design, and instead it just drooped down over time and eventually got buried.) My partner reported another cable attached to a nearby tree.
    Very close to a 1930s-era CCC trail that featured many big ski races back in the day. But all that ended by about the 1950s.

And since this thread is worthless without pictures...

Attachment point at tree, with work gloves and sunglasses included in an attempt to show scale:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211021_153241225.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	389891

Cable going into the ground, with looper handles included in an attempt to show scale:

Name:	IMG_20211021_153246223.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	389892

Strand that I brought back with me, although it unrivaled when I forgot to take it out my pants pocket before putting it in the clothes washer, whoops:

Name:	IMG_20211022_091441550_2.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	389893

Thanks in advance for any replies, whether informative, entertaining, or some combination thereof!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

No help identifying but here's another pic of cables in trees from the sawatch
    Name:  20210619_111937-01.jpeg
Views: 1919
Size:  190.9 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    No help identifying but here's another pic of cables in trees from the sawatch
    Name:  20210619_111937-01.jpeg
Views: 1919
Size:  190.9 KB
    Love the lacing pattern. Very ingenious
    That’s livestock fencing.

But op is braided aluminum wire. Weird.
    I could see someone hanging a no trespassing or hunting sign to block a path?

Or maybe just grounding the tree to protect from lightning strikes.
    . . .

Possibly a timing wire, ran from start to finish line?

Not new england but I've run across old wires from old pre radio forest service phone lines: https://foresthistory.org/wp-content...2/ChapterI.pdf

It’s det cord to blow an LZ.

Looks like old aluminum electric wire to me. Probably the neutral, or maybe the insulator has already grown into the tree

Quote Originally Posted by rightcoast View Post
    Possibly a timing wire, ran from start to finish line?
    That would make sense, thanks, given all the races that were timed back then.
    I'll have to find those trees again to take home a bigger length as a souvenir, a piece of alpine ski racing history!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    And now it's time for the umpteenth installment of, identify this odd object found in the New England woods!

snip......

Attachment point at tree, with work gloves and sunglasses included in an attempt to show scale:

Thanks in advance for any replies, whether informative, entertaining, or some combination thereof!
    Power distribution in a work camp perhaps.

Maybe it has something to do with sharks with lazerbeams. Did you notice windgusts in the area?

Obviously aliens

And for yesterday's installment of WOFITW ("Weird Object Found In The Woods") we have ... umm, what is this doing in the middle of nowhere?!?

Name:	IMG_20211101_124806911.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	391330

Neighbor has 3 of these

Name:	Image1635901961.824954.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	391344
    What are they?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

this reminds me of my last honeymoon in Antigua where I met a cool local bro on the beach, he told me they call him " the wire man " cuz he makes sculptures out of wire

but he didn't have any cuz he can make more money selling dope, so of course i bought some
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

And for yesterday's installment of WOFITW ("Weird Object Found In The Woods") we have ... umm, what is this doing in the middle of nowhere?!?

Name:	IMG_20211101_124806911.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	391330
    Constipated bear.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I found this "pistol" while I was out deer hunting and staring at my feet. Based on it's size and lack of an actual barrel I figure it was a kid's toy gun. The trigger moves but I'm stumped on what it did. There is a spring inside of the barrel but things are so locked up with rust that I'm not sure what it is accuated.

Anyone have any insight into where on the internet I could figure this out? I've looked at a couple hundred Google Images but haven't seen anything close to similar.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I found this "pistol" while I was out deer hunting and staring at my feet. Based on it's size and lack of an actual barrel I figure it was a kid's toy gun. The trigger moves but I'm stumped on what it did. There is a spring inside of the barrel but things are so locked up with rust that I'm not sure what it is accuated.

Anyone have any insight into where on the internet I could figure this out? I've looked at a couple hundred Google Images but haven't seen anything close to similar.
    That is interesting. I don’t think it’s a toy. Something for construction? Old style gun for sinking nails or bolts into something?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

What could it be this time ... old stone foundation, chimney, or wall? (nah, we have far too many of those here to be of any interest) ... boundary marker? (ditto) ... barbed wire? (ditto) ... beer cans a seemingly impossibly far distance from any trails (ditto) ... Patriots folding stadium seat far away from any trail (still haven't figured out that one from a few years ago) ... lift towers, snowmaking hydrants, and night skiing light poles? (these are always somewhat disconcerting to find: https://www.newenglandskihistory.com...eylockglen.php) ... Gabby Petito van life murder copycat? (oh dear, that's no joke: https://vtdigger.org/2021/10/21/penn...der-defendant/) ... remote sensing device? (the convincing consensus here was something like a bird song monitoring project).

So yesterday I found a six-stranded metal cable looped into a tree, then diving into the ground. (Although perhaps the underground part was not the original design, and instead it just drooped down over time and eventually got buried.) My partner reported another cable attached to a nearby tree.
    Very close to a 1930s-era CCC trail that featured many big ski races back in the day. But all that ended by about the 1950s.

Cable going into the ground, with looper handles included in an attempt to show scale:

Name:	IMG_20211021_153246223.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	389892

Strand that I brought back with me, although it unrivaled when I forgot to take it out my pants pocket before putting it in the clothes washer, whoops:

Name:	IMG_20211022_091441550_2.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	389893

any valuable wood in that vicinity? is it on a steepish hillside?

if it is, it maybe illegal timber harvesting using makeshift skyline?

clearly some derivative version of the fp-45 liberator.....

no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    That is interesting. I don’t think it’s a toy. Something for construction? Old style gun for sinking nails or bolts into something?
    I think you misunderstood the size and construction of this thing. Even without the rust I doubt it would hold together well enough to shoot a .22LR let alone nails or bolts.
    Last edited by John_B; 11-02-2021 at 10:53 PM.

yep.....fp-45.

that little eyelet is where they attached the parachute.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    yep.....fp-45.

that little eyelet is where they attached the parachute.
    The barrel is covered in a plate so I think the only way this thing could kill Nazis is if you shot it out of a bigger gun.

Maybe a little flag popped up that said "BANG"?

I think you misunderstood the size and construction of this thing. Even without the rust Idoubt it would hold together well enough to shoot a .22LR let alone nails or bolts.
    Yea it is very small. But fascinating. Nice find
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Neighbor has 3 of these

Name:	Image1635901961.824954.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	391344
    What are they?
    Emergency didgeridoo station?
    . . .