Views:	111 
Size:	890.0 KB 
ID:	392265

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42494D5E-DE89-4579-932F-51812F1C613F.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	985.7 KB 
ID:	392266

Found on the Long Trail in Vermont; ~ 1 mile from a known settlement.

Looks like a mason chisel to me.

You guys have a very bland definition of weird....

That was too easy.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Okay I have one for ya. Not found in the woods, but way back under the workbench of the house we bought a couple years ago. I've shown it to quite a few people now, and no one can tell me what it is.

It's about 10lbs, crafted from hardwood, the steel bands on the ends are pinned on.

It smells like a diesel engine room, like you might find on a larger boat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Handle for a vise? Like the woodworking ones.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Handle for a vise? Like the woodworking ones.
    Did the workbench it was found under happen to have a vise with a missing handle mounted to it? That could be a good clue

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    [...]You guys have a very bland definition of weird....
    You do realize that this thread is all just one big long prelude to a dead body?

(Although the dead body I really did find was not in the woods but on an wide-open snowfield ... which I suppose means that I shouldn't joke about that, but then again this is TGR, so anything in bad taste is okay.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    You do realize that this thread is all just one big long prelude to a dead body?

(Although the dead body I really did find was not in the woods but on an wide-open snowfield ... which I suppose means that I shouldn't joke about that, but then again this is TGR, so anything in bad taste is okay.)
    story time I reckon

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    story time I reckon

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Fingers crossed it took place in Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    story time I reckon
    Perhaps, but it's not a fun story:
    https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/lo...caeac0745.html
    I'm the skier.
    After a little impromptu on-site memorial service with my three touring partners, called the GPS coordinates into the sheriff's office and texted pictures (still on my computer, but I never look at them, except the ones taken from a distance where a red pack and red jacket are totally indistinguishable from the black rocks) sometime early Sunday afternoon (got lucky with cell reception on partial re-ascent up to Lunch Counter from base of SW Chutes, not the White Salmon glacier, although at least that's close).
    Body was still there early Monday afternoon, no footprints or anything. Apparently the local FS rangers just couldn't be bothered. Although at least they had restocked the empty toilet paper dispensers at Cold Springs. Previously I'd never understood why anyone cared about retrieving dead bodies. But after seeing that body there decomposing for weeks (SAR effort was horribly botched), and then still there the next day, then I finally understood. Some things you just need to experience first-hand to understand.
    The reporter had contact me, but I didn't get back to him in time for his press deadline --- good thing too, since I was so upset that I probably wouldn't have said things fit for publication.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Did the workbench it was found under happen to have a vise with a missing handle mounted to it? That could be a good clue
    I don't think that's it. The ears on the bands at the ends look like they interfaced with some other metal object... Like it was a linkage of some sort?

Perhaps, but it's not a fun story:
    https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/lo...caeac0745.html
    I'm the skier.
    After a little impromptu on-site memorial service with my three touring partners, called the GPS coordinates into the sheriff's office and texted pictures (still on my computer, but I never look at them, except the ones taken from a distance where a red pack and red jacket are totally indistinguishable from the black rocks) sometime early Sunday afternoon (got lucky with cell reception on partial re-ascent up to Lunch Counter from base of SW Chutes, not the White Salmon glacier, although at least that's close).
    Body was still there early Monday afternoon, no footprints or anything. Apparently the local FS rangers just couldn't be bothered. Although at least they had restocked the empty toilet paper dispensers at Cold Springs. Previously I'd never understood why anyone cared about retrieving dead bodies. But after seeing that body there decomposing for weeks (SAR effort was horribly botched), and then still there the next day, then I finally understood. Some things you just need to experience first-hand to understand.
    The reporter had contact me, but I didn't get back to him in time for his press deadline --- good thing too, since I was so upset that I probably wouldn't have said things fit for publication.
    Heavy. I read a little more about it, sounds like he accidentally wandered down the chutes in the fog and fell. I guess he survived the initial fall and made a 911 call, only to pass in the following hours/days.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Heavy. I read a little more about it, sounds like he accidentally wandered down the chutes in the fog and fell. I guess he survived the initial fall and made a 911 call, only to pass in the following hours/days.

Yep, raging snowstorm (in the summer, but predicted), was actually at Pikers Peak false summit (i.e., lower point on the blown-out crater rim), fell and tumbled down that really steep (and typically unskiable) terrain in between the South Climb and the SW Chutes, even though he thought he was at the summit (an easy mistake for him to make given his first time up that high on the mtn, especially with zero vis). Might have died so soon after placing the 911 call that no SAR effort would have made any difference. But seeing him there, weeks later, now I understand recovery missions.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've spit rock with feathers and wedges--they don't look anything like that and two inch diam. is awfully thick to be spitting rock with.
    Yeah the more I look at it, that pattered top isn't pounded to shit either, the shape probably means it fit into some kind of bit interface and was mechanically driven by some kind of hammer drive. Given the presence of other drilled holes nearby this was probably an attempted quarrying.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

And for today's installment ... chairlift tower pads -- I think? -- found in an illicitly cut in-bounds glade (which I just happened to end up hiking through, not doing work or scouting), fairly far from the closest ski trail, which in turn is fairly from from the nearest lift.

Attachment 392167
    Chairlift underpad 100%- I have several of that exact thing I use for laying on in muddy holes when I'm welding
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Here's a good one that we found the other day near the top of an old aqueduct that fed a smelter near iron city. Study stuff for sure!

Name:	20211122_115936-01.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	393998
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Here's a good one that we found the other day near the top of an old aqueduct that fed a smelter near iron city. Study stuff for sure!

Name:	20211122_115936-01.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	393998
    Looks like a vans shoe imho
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Looks like a vans shoe imho
    nailed it

Weird Object Found in the Woods

Forgot to post this one:

Name:	IMG_3673.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	424367

Pretty high up near the divide Indian Peaks area.

??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Its a single speed ashtray for pre woke ghey lumberjacks.
    watch out for snakes

Weird Object Found in the Woods

In that case it’s a piece of crap and it doesn’t work. Maybe I forgot to put the crystals in.

Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 08-22-2022 at 07:23 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Was fishing and found 30mm artillery ammunition from ww2. Didn't dare to touch it, called police and they got army to pick it up.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

^ whoa nice catch. Where was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Was fishing and found 30mm artillery ammunition from ww2. Didn't dare to touch it, called police and they got army to pick it up.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    That is a dildo.

swing your fucking sword.

Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.