Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    "live ammunition" in movie set terminology = blanks. You can plink cans with blanks, from up to 20 feet away..

People who say that an accident like that can't happen with blanks have never shot blanks.. But, real bullets make it bound to happen.. Blanks far less likely but still possible..
    I don’t believe this is accurate. SAG makes a clear distinction between “live ammunition” and “blank ammunition” in their guidance and say “live ammunition” should basically only be used under very specific circumstances on a range or military base. Where are you reading blank ammo = live ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I don’t believe this is accurate. SAG makes a clear distinction between “live ammunition” and “blank ammunition” in their guidance and say “live ammunition” should basically only be used under very specific circumstances on a range or military base. Where are you reading blank ammo = live ammo?
    I've seen blank ammo called live ammo in the movie set context in a number of articles quoting prop people and armorers. I don't care to go find them.

Some of the crew were using the gun that morning to go plinking. Left it loaded with live bullet(s) apparently.

https://www.thewrap.com/halyna-hutch...rget-practice/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Blanks can injure and potentially kill people too. It's a functional cartridge without a projectile, but that doesn't mean it can't injure someone. As far as why he would be pointing it at someone, how many shots do you see in movies where you're looking down the barrel of a gun? There's any number of reasons that it could have been a potentially unsafe scenario in order to get a stupid fucking shot, poor communication on set, etc etc. Alec Baldwin is a douche, but don't be so quick to throw the blame on him.

All that said, the fact that firearms standards on movie sets are still lacking after Brandon Lee's death a quarter century ago is ridiculous.
    Wasn't there an Aussie actor that was killed by a blank? IIRC he was goofing with a prop gun, put out to his head and pulled. The concussion killed him.
    Last edited by KQ; 10-27-2021 at 09:33 AM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

"live ammunition" in movie set terminology = blanks. You can plink cans with blanks, from up to 20 feet away..

People who say that an accident like that can't happen with blanks have never shot blanks.. But, real bullets make it bound to happen.. Blanks far less likely but still possible..
    Like I said earlier, I have a friend who did cowboy action shooting from horses. The rounds used are not traditional "blanks", but are loaded with black powder and/or coarsely ground corn to pop the balloons.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Okay...wasn't an Aussie but an American. Jon-Eric Hexum.

Jon-Erik Hexum (/ˈhɛksəm/; November 5, 1957 – October 18, 1984) was an American actor and model, known for his lead roles in the TV series Voyagers! and Cover Up, and his supporting role as Pat Trammell in the biopic The Bear. He died by an accidental self-inflicted blank cartridge gunshot to the head on the set of Cover Up.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Guns scare the shit out of me
    Me too. never owned one. Never will. Never understood the whole "lets go kill something for fun" but I'm not a farmer. Known plenty of 'em including family. Still don't get it.
    "Can't you see..."

to borrow a phrase: "guns don't scare me...people with guns scare me"

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Some of the crew were using the gun that morning to go plinking. Left it loaded with live bullet(s) apparently.

https://www.thewrap.com/halyna-hutch...rget-practice/

There's gotta be some process / regulation document that says something like "never ever put live ammunition in your prop guns," right? Probably the same document that says "the armorer needs to make sure there's no live ammunition / barrels are unobstructed etc. before shooting a scene using blanks".

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    There's gotta be some process / regulation document that says something like "never ever put live ammunition in your prop guns," right? Probably the same document that says "the armorer needs to make sure there's no live ammunition / barrels are unobstructed etc. before shooting a scene using blanks".
    You would assume so.

City folk out on the ranch, plinking, horseback riding, no wonder they weren’t getting paid.

I bet Alex escapes charges. Someone else left a real bullet in a prop gun.

Calling it a “prop” gun makes it sound fake and somehow safer than a real gun.

Why not just call them “guns”? Every other item on a set doesn’t have the word “prop” in front of it does it?

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Like I said earlier, I have a friend who did cowboy action shooting from horses. The rounds used are not traditional "blanks", but are loaded with black powder and/or coarsely ground corn to pop the balloons.
    Interesting. I know someone who does that too, might be the same. Anyway, when I shot 38 caliber blanks at cans it was a white piece of plastic that held the powder and causes back pressure to create the BANG. You can put a hole in a can from 10 feet away pretty easily with that. I see white stuff hitting the ground in the video above. Makes sense that it could be corn as well. I still wouldn't want to be hit with it from 5 feet away. No way either goes THROUGH a person and in to a 2nd person. It would have to be fragmented to injure two people.

Press conference implies ONE "live round" shell and "projectile" recovered from 2nd person. Still no answer for what kind of "projectile" but certainly wasn't corn.. Plastic or lead?? At this point I vote lead..
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 10-27-2021 at 10:54 AM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    You would assume so.

City folk out on the ranch, plinking, horseback riding, no wonder they weren’t getting paid.

I bet Alex escapes charges. Someone else left a real bullet in a prop gun.

Civil lawsuit for damages on the production company. I would imagine the production company's insurance will be left holding the proverbial bag.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Supposedly a $1mm GL policy with a $5mm umbrella.

But alas, was it an on the job injury, and thus recovery will be limited by the worker's comp laws?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Fact - The victims family will sue everybody in sight.

This started as hate of Alec Baldwin then spread to rampant speculation about what happened. Is this the we hate lawyers stage?

Doesn't calling it a "prop gun" designate it as a piece of equipment that is a "gun" but should never EVER be loaded with non prop bullets?? Especially around the set?? Those semantics are important IMHO. The "prop" in the name designates it as a gun that isn't to be used as a "gun"..

Supposedly a $1mm GL policy with a $5mm umbrella.

But alas, was it an on the job injury, and thus recovery will be limited by the worker's comp laws?
    Recovery against production companies might be limited by work comp, but I would think the armorer would be a subcontractor, and thus could be sued. But... [shrug].

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Recovery against production companies might be limited by work comp, but I would think the armorer would be a subcontractor, and thus could be sued. But... [shrug].
    And aren't her parents rich??

Doesn't calling it a "prop gun" designate it as a piece of equipment that is a "gun" but should never EVER be loaded with non prop bullets?? Especially around the set?? Those semantics are important IMHO. The "prop" in the name designates it as a gun that isn't to be used as a "gun"..
    Yeah, I agree. Easier to call it a "prop gun" than "gun that was intended to be used to fire blanks while filming".

I think she had a kid and husband who would likely be the beneficiaries of any litigation.

I think she had a kid and husband who would likely be the beneficiaries of any litigation.
    I'm referring to the 24 year old Armor person they certainly will be suing.. She got the job because her parents are movie moguls of some kind.. or were LOL...

I thought her dad was also an armorer. Is being a Hollywood armorer a high paying gig? I have no idea.

Regardless, I expect that family's wealth is about to take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    This started as hate of Alec Baldwin then spread to rampant speculation about what happened. Is this the we hate lawyers stage?
    Not from me, I hope they ass rape every responsible party.

From the WP
    "A “lead projectile” was recovered from director Joel Souza’s shoulder as evidence in the fatal shooting last week on the set of the western “Rust,” according to authorities.""[Sheriff] Mendoza said at the conference that his office collected roughly 600 pieces of evidence from the set, including what he believes to be the Colt revolver Baldwin was holding and a spent shell casing. They also gathered around 500 rounds of ammunition — which Mendoza described as a “mix of blanks, dummy rounds and what we are suspecting are live rounds”

If the story about crew members plinking is true--or if it isn't--shouldn't all movie firearms be under lock and key, with the armorer having the only key--when not being used to shoot a scene? Isn't that how we little people are supposed to store firearms--keep them locked up or trigger locked when not in our possession?