Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Pretty amazing to think that in the early 80s we did Jr High theatre productions with real guns firing blanks. And didn't think twice about it. 11 to 13 year olds firing real revolvers with blanks in a school auditorium. Think about it for a second. We also used a lot of flash powder. Those shows were fun.

Does anyone make a prop gun that slides and recoils like a real gun (via co2 canister or otherwise)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Some of the airsoft guns have working slides and recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    And the Union just threw the NM locals under the bus……Soumds like a total clusterfuck.
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...nd-1235095349/
    The union just came off a near-strike situation, like a couple days ago, that was pretty bitter, so I’m taking what they say with a grain of salt for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The union just came off a near-strike situation, like a couple days ago, that was pretty bitter, so I’m taking what they say with a grain of salt for now.
    Oh I agree. The LA Times is reporting there was some sort of crew walkout the day before the shooting….

ETA found it:
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...walked-off-set
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Oh I agree. The LA Times is reporting there was some sort of crew walkout the day before the shooting….

ETA found it:
    "A source close to union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun being loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming."

So "Live round" according to this source doesn't necessarily mean an actual bullet, and could have been a blank?

That’s how I read that……
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Hmmm...where is Puregravity? We need some investigating work done here.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Alec Baldwin WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    They had a scene where they needed what looked like loaded bullets in a revolver. The shells were loaded with an actual primer and a bullet, with no powder. At some point the gun was fired, and the bullet was pushed from the cylinder to the barrel. Then the ammo was changed for blanks for a shooting scene. The blank charge drove the bullet out of the barrel. Blanks can generate huge pressures if the burning powder is contained behind a bullet
    This is the best guess yet. It was definitely a projectile to go through a person and hit another.

Can’t see having a live round within a mile of a set and even if it was a toy gun, you don’t point towards anyone and especially don’t pull the trigger. I tell 5 yr olds that.

I’m a Dp. I’ve shot films/tv shows with blanks and without. With how good, simple, and cheap Vfx firing looks these days there is almost no reason for blanks to ever be used on set anymore. And even with prop guns without blanks there is still always a protocol where the team is showing everyone on set it isn’t loaded and there are specific rules about where people can point the guns. Tragic. RIP. Should never have happened.

Perhaps more reason for the impending Iatse union strike. Overworked crews make mistakes.

Was thinking about this while driving today…

There should be footage right?

How ironic would it be if there were no cameras running

Not that there isn't another way to create this.. but, doesn't the gun blast evoke unique emotional responses facial expressions, etc of the actors on the set? I get that an audio BOOM/BANG at the perfect moment could also do that, just seems harder to time perfectly.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Was thinking about this while driving today…

There should be footage right?

How ironic would it be if there were no cameras running
    I saw at least one report that said it happened during a rehearsal so maybe not

Sounds like it was a rehearsal, maybe filmed, maybe not.

Low budget, long hours, non-union, this sounds like bad, bad shit. When I was working in the trades 30 years ago, 16-18 hour days were normal on commercials, videos, indies. It was literally destroying families and killing people. it was supposed to change, but never did. I hope IATSE members reject the settlement and strike.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post

Sounds like it was a rehearsal, maybe filmed, maybe not.

Low budget, long hours, non-union, this sounds like bad, bad shit. When I was working in the trades 30 years ago, 16-18 hour days were normal on commercials, videos, indies. It was literally destroying families and killing people. it was supposed to change, but never did. I hope IATSE members reject the settlement and strike.
    And if the production company brought in scabs, that just makes it even more fucked……because Baldwin owns the production company and was a producer on the film. JFC.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I still call it The Jake.

And if the production company brought in scabs, that just makes it even more fucked……because Baldwin owns the production company and was a producer on the film. JFC.
    THIS.. Baldwin the actor has ZERO fault in this disaster... Baldwin the Producer might be extremely culpable.. National news just reported that the producers and crew had huge disagreements and most of the crew walked out on the producers due to gun safety concerns two hours before this happened..

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Sig Worthy
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I assume he's just pulling together the diagrams showing where the second gunman was likely hiding.

Quote from a film industry Armorer went something like, " It was a rehearsal; standard protocol for rehearsals is absolutely no rounds, blanks or otherwise, in guns during rehearsals". Seems like they would have to rehearse with hot gun at least once before actual filming just to get the cast used to the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Name:  BeautifulMind_20.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  171.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    THIS.. Baldwin the actor has ZERO fault in this disaster... Baldwin the Producer might be extremely culpable.. National news just reported that the producers and crew had huge disagreements and most of the crew walked out on the producers due to gun safety concerns two hours before this happened..
    Do you really think he has a day-to-day role in the production?

I've always assumed these big money guys get a "producer" credit for providing financing, but ultimately there are many levels of other folks who are "in charge".

Seems we have a few here who have actually worked on movies so would be interested to hear their opinions. But I can't imagine AB as a "producer" actually had much if anything to do with this level of the actual production of the filming.

Baldwin had an affair with the director and she threatened to tell his wife.....
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Is anyone else having a hard time visualizing AB in a Western?

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Is anyone else having a hard time visualizing AB in a Western?

Nope. Say what you want about him as a person, dude is a great actor. Did you see the screenshots of him today outside the sheriff office? Shaggy hair, full beard. no doubt he can make that villan role happen.