Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    A fun read I remember from a few years back. Relevant to this topic. Gets into the Brandon Lee fiasco a bit:

5 Secrets You Learn When You're A Gun Consultant For Movies
    https://www.cracked.com/personal-exp...y-not-die.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked
    But there are bigger issues. Namely, that Actual Firearms can Actually Kill people: "Obviously, blanks are still dangerous within like, 20 feet." If that's true, then how is any war movie filmed without filling graveyards with the corpses of extras? Well, first off, "A gun is never pointed at an actor on a set, even if they're 50 feet away. It's always off angle, just as an extra safety precaution. It may look on camera ... like actors are firing at one another, but they never are. At least, not when we're there."

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    He is a horrible and narcissistic human being, but I can’t help feeling for anyone who accidentally takes the life of another. I wonder whether a New York lib who probably has zero idea about how to safely handle a gun received any firearms training. Every gun is always loaded is the rule I began with at age 7. Always check and never point even an empty gun in an unsafe direction. No finger on trigger until it is pointed toward a target you intend to hit. Hope this asshole uses his prominence to try to make a difference in getting safety messages out. About the best I could think may be able to come from this.

Real question for me is how did an actual bullet get into the gun that killed Brandon Lee?
    Did the mean man make fun of your orange oligarch

You don't treat a prop gun like a real gun fuckstick. You're suppose to point it and pull the trigger, directly or indirectly depending on what it is
    Go fuck off, making this political shows how much of a shitstain you are

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This is why light sabers are so much safer. If they're energized, there's no doubt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LukeNo.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	389912

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    They had a scene where they needed what looked like loaded bullets in a revolver. The shells were loaded with an actual primer and a bullet, with no powder. At some point the gun was fired, and the bullet was pushed from the cylinder to the barrel. Then the ammo was changed for blanks for a shooting scene. The blank charge drove the bullet out of the barrel. Blanks can generate huge pressures if the burning powder is contained behind a bullet
    If this is true, someone is losing their job, and maybe some jail time. That's seriously sloppy safety

He's talking about the Brandon Lee incident there. I don't think anyone went to jail for that one. Just a tragic accident.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    He is a horrible and narcissistic human being, but I can’t help feeling for anyone who accidentally takes the life of another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Baldwin is an ass, but this is not his fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Anyways, point is, if our team had somehow let that RPG shotgun guy shoot someone there's no way on earth it would have been his fault. I would guess there's a 99.99% chance Alec's in the same situation. If someone gets shot on set there are countless people at fault, but the actor is very likely not one of them.
    Pretty much that

I don't know if Baldwin is an ass or if it's that his worst moments have been put under a microscope and reported to the world, but he's just an actor. He never should've been given a loaded gun (or misloaded).

And even if he is a douche, this is truly a tragic accident that will devastate all involved. Nobody deserves that.

I'm confused why a real gun ever has to be used in a movie. If we can make dinosaurs and other shit look real, one would think the props guys could come up with non firing guns that look and sound enough like the real thing.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I know, “Never read the comments.”
    We can have skaredshtles give you a regular reminder of that, if you'd like.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Reddit comment (which is the highest quality of info next to TGR) says that gun was used to fire real bullets by whoever was in charge of the guns - this was in between takes - and that a real round was left in the gun.

Zero real evidence that this is what happened. But regardless of what truly happened the person(s) in charge of gun safety on that set fucked up.

Baldwin is most likely a victim here too.

With all the technology they have, why can't they just edit the gunfire sound in.....instead of actually firing it?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...142757857.html

"There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours," he tweeted. "I'm fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna."
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Alec Baldwin WTF

Nevermind. Can’t stand the guy. I feel sorry for the two that were shot

I still don’t get it.

If your the gun guy you should know what happened to Lee.
    And it’s damn easy to check the barrel.
    Should have been standard procedure to sweep it after using dummy bullets before you load blanks.

RIP
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    With all the technology they have, why can't they just edit the gunfire sound in.....instead of actually firing it?
    It's probably a lot more expensive to do the CGI work rather than just throwing blanks and empty shells in. Which isn't a good reason, but probably the one that they use.

If even half of what this guy says is true, heads are gonna fucking roll:
    https://www.tiktok.com/@propstohisto...08652202265862
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It's probably a lot more expensive to do the CGI work rather than just throwing blanks and empty shells in. Which isn't a good reason, but probably the one that they use.
    Cost would have to be the silliest reason for this. Do they drop real bombs in war movies? Do they wait for real thunder and rain when filming?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    All that said, the fact that firearms standards on movie sets are still lacking after Brandon Lee's death a quarter century ago is ridiculous.
    You have no idea...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    I’ve been thinking that the armorer would have to answer some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Reddit comment (which is the highest quality of info next to TGR) says that gun was used to fire real bullets by whoever was in charge of the guns - this was in between takes - and that a real round was left in the gun.

Zero real evidence that this is what happened. But regardless of what truly happened the person(s) in charge of gun safety on that set fucked up.

Baldwin is most likely a victim here too.
    Usually.....there is very strict protocol with firearms that are capable firing anything within the set. Who, in what direction, when etc should be very strictly controlled. Most of the guns are mere props (nowadays), and the guns that are not deactivated (should) have crew responsible within arms reach.
    At no point should that kind of gun be available to the cast, to be able to be pointed at anyone, ever.

That includes slowmo, closeups and whatnot. At that point is is usually different crew filming it (2nd camera, vfx/sfx) if there is a specific reason why a live round should be fire. And that should never happen in a set.

This is beyond fucked up.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Holy balls. A live round was (allegedly) in there?! W... T... F...???

^^ dude says "unprecedented", but we already have at least 3 (maybe 4) replies in this thread answering the "what happened to Brandon Lee" question. So if true there is definitely precedent.

I agree heads will likely roll after the investigation.

Think what you like about Baldwin, his politics, and run-ins with the paparazzi. This clearly (apparently?) wasn't his fault and I wouldn't wish accidental no-fault murder on any human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’ve been thinking that the armorer would have to answer some questions.
    Yep. Non-union too, allegedly….

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Usually.....there is very strict protocol with firearms that are capable firing anything within the set. Who, in what direction, when etc should be very strictly controlled. Most of the guns are mere props (nowadays), and the guns that are not deactivated (should) have crew responsible within arms reach.
    At no point should that kind of gun be available to the cast, to be able to be pointed at anyone, ever.

That includes slowmo, closeups and whatnot. At that point is is usually different crew filming it (2nd camera, vfx/sfx) if there is a specific reason why a live round should be fire. And that should never happen in a set.

This is beyond fucked up.
    Also yep.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Holy balls. A live round was (allegedly) in there?! W... T... F...???
    And the Union just threw the NM locals under the bus……Soumds like a total clusterfuck.
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...nd-1235095349/
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Because we all know human life is essentially worthless. They won't use CGI for all of it until it's less expensive than settling a wrongful death suit.

If the American Humane Society has a seat on set any time an animal is being filmed, why in god's name aren't outside, certified professional armorers mandated by the industry any time a firearm is used. Sounds like a great job for a lot of vets, considering the firearms training some actors are receiving now for their roles.

Regardless of how his accident occurred, I just can't understand how anyone can consider a blank a safe option. If you pop the bullet out of, say, a standard .45 ACP round, and replace it with wadding, you're still firing a projectile (with 230 grains behind it) at more than 800 FPS. Jello could fuck you up at that velocity.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Yep. Non-union too, allegedly….

Also yep.

And the Union just threw the NM locals under the bus……Soumds like a total clusterfuck.
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/a...nd-1235095349/
    Name:  B16D71EF-09FE-43EE-A2FD-0A3F6BE20B6E.jpeg
Views: 445
Size:  473.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Regardless of how his accident occurred, I just can't understand how anyone can consider a blank a safe option. If you pop the bullet out of, say, a standard .45 ACP round, and replace it with wadding, you're still firing a projectile (with 230 grains behind it) at more than 800 FPS. Jello could fuck you up at that velocity.
    Pretty sure "theatre" blanks are supposed to be something WAY lower, like 40 grains. Still, not a fun time to get hit in the face by a wad, and they should ALWAYS be treated with the utmost respect, however a blank shouldn't be freaking lethal when proper precautions* are used.

*proper precautions being the qualifier here.