Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Alec Baldwin WTF

Shades of Brandon Lee…..Director of Photography killed, Director injured after Baldwin discharges a “prop gun”……Crazy:
    https://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...c47b69ce5.html
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Sounds like a Columbo episode where they replace the prop gun with a real gun.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

He is a douchenozzle of the largest kind. A good friend of mine does make up for NBC. She was diagnosed with some cancer and was forced to leave work for a while When she returned she was given a room far away from some others to do her work. This was do to a sensitivity. Alec wanted to use her make up room as his private dressing room and tried to kick her out. The director of MSNBC
    explained why she needed that room. He retorted that he "did not give a fuck that she had cancer" and insisted upon the room.

https://www.insideedition.com/7416-d...om-makeup-room

Whether it is yelling at a cancer ridden co-worker, or ranting at his daughter, he is a poor excuse for a human being. Dickhead!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Sounds like a Columbo episode where they replace the prop gun with a real gun.
    We need a Venn diagram off who had a motive and access to the prop gun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A 42 year old woman friend works on movie crews here in NM, the early reports didn’t give any more info on the death than it happened to a 42 year old female crew member. I was pretty relieved when she replied to my text last night. She was on a different set.

Coincidentally, I was riding my motorcycle by the movie ranch where it happened about an hour afterwards.

RIP to the DoP, and hopes for a speedy recovery for the director.

Baldwin has struck me as an entitled douche, it’ll be interesting to see how this turns out.

He'll make a joke about it on SNL in a few years.

He is a horrible and narcissistic human being, but I can’t help feeling for anyone who accidentally takes the life of another. I wonder whether a New York lib who probably has zero idea about how to safely handle a gun received any firearms training. Every gun is always loaded is the rule I began with at age 7. Always check and never point even an empty gun in an unsafe direction. No finger on trigger until it is pointed toward a target you intend to hit. Hope this asshole uses his prominence to try to make a difference in getting safety messages out. About the best I could think may be able to come from this.

Real question for me is how did an actual bullet get into the gun that killed Brandon Lee?

Why would there be a cartridge/shell with an actual bullet on a movie set? They should only have “blanks” (meaning no bullets). The prop guy fuct up.

What an unlucky shot that when there was a live round in the gun it hit someone.

Did he fire off two shots? Why was he so close to them when he fired?

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Why would there be a cartridge/shell with an actual bullet on a movie set? They should only have “blanks” (meaning no bullets). The prop guy fuct up.

What an unlucky shot that when there was a live round in the gun it hit someone.
    Beyond this, why was he pointing the gun at the director of photography and why did he pull the trigger? I would understand if he shot another actor during a scene but 2 directors? Guess we have to see what comes out. I guess it could have been a catastrophic misfire where the gun itself exploded but those usually injure the shooter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Real question for me is how did an actual bullet get into the gun that killed Brandon Lee?
    They had a scene where they needed what looked like loaded bullets in a revolver. The shells were loaded with an actual primer and a bullet, with no powder. At some point the gun was fired, and the bullet was pushed from the cylinder to the barrel. Then the ammo was changed for blanks for a shooting scene. The blank charge drove the bullet out of the barrel. Blanks can generate huge pressures if the burning powder is contained behind a bullet

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post

There was a bullet lodged in the barrel of the gun. It was then loaded w a blank that provided the energy to propel the lodged bullet.

I was working in art dept./Props at the time of the Brandon Lee accident. From my memory, it was a low budget production and the prop master was not a trained armorer. The prop gun for a shot was loaded with dummies - you've all seen shots where the bullets are visible in a revolver. Going on memory, the prop guy created these dummies by pulling the bullets out of live rounds, dumping the powder, then putting the bullets back in - a simple process. But someone dropped the hammer on one of these dummies, and the still live primer going off was enough to propel the bullet into, but not through the barrel. Next scene, they load the gun with blanks for shots. The blank fired was hot enough to propel the bullet stuck in the barrel and kill Lee. This was all because the prop guy didn't know what he was doing.

Any job I worked on, if there were guns in the scene or gag, it was serious business and there were walk throughs, and a chain of custody for the gun(s) only through the trained prop master/armorer or his assistant. There wasn't any joking around. Something went really wrong here, I can't even guess what.

OK 2nd time this has happened. Happened to BRANDON Lee too. My biggest question is why was it a producer and not an actor or stunt person who was shot? Was he screwing around making a joke/prank pretending to shoot here and then OH SHIT!?!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Blanks can injure and potentially kill people too. It's a functional cartridge without a projectile, but that doesn't mean it can't injure someone. As far as why he would be pointing it at someone, how many shots do you see in movies where you're looking down the barrel of a gun? There's any number of reasons that it could have been a potentially unsafe scenario in order to get a stupid fucking shot, poor communication on set, etc etc. Alec Baldwin is a douche, but don't be so quick to throw the blame on him.

All that said, the fact that firearms standards on movie sets are still lacking after Brandon Lee's death a quarter century ago is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    They had a scene where they needed what looked like loaded bullets in a revolver. The shells were loaded with an actual primer and a bullet, with no powder. At some point the gun was fired, and the bullet was pushed from the cylinder to the barrel. Then the ammo was changed for blanks for a shooting scene. The blank charge drove the bullet out of the barrel. Blanks can generate huge pressures if the burning powder is contained behind a bullet
    This makes sense. You would think whatever knucklehead was in charge of the props would know one should always clear a firearm between scenes or changing out prop "ammo." It's a revolver. It's not that hard. It's a shitty situation and I really do feel bad for Baldwin on this one, but it's a great lesson in why we ALWAYS treat firearms as deadly, even toys and "props." Not to get too poliass or anything, but this is a great example of why those of us who know firearms don't exactly appreciate it when Hollywood stars wants to tell us what's up on this front. Pretty bad how Alec Baldwin himself has been vocal about the topic himself, but this shows that guy knows: Apparently nothing. I don't care what the situation is. If anybody hands you a gun you're supposed to point at someone, you verify for yourself that it's safe. People might say "Well they're actors! They're not supposed to be gun safety experts!" Well, then perhaps some mandatory gun safety and range time is in order for any actor expected to handle a gun for scenes. I don't care if it's a wooden pop cap gun. Treat them all as deadly. Wanna see a badass actor on the range, though? Look at Keanu Reeves. I bet he'd never have an incident like this. No excuses.

What prop guy (and Alec) should have done between scenes:

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    All that said, the fact that firearms standards on movie sets are still lacking after Brandon Lee's death a quarter century ago is ridiculous.
    This!!! Blows my mind this happened at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Blanks can injure and potentially kill people too. It's a functional cartridge without a projectile, but that doesn't mean it can't injure someone.
    I've shot 38 caliber blank wads at cans and bottles. It still shattered a bottle from about 8 feet away.

Beavis and Butthead responses to "wad" in 3..2...1... hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Any job I worked on, if there were guns in the scene or gag, it was serious business and there were walk throughs, and a chain of custody for the gun(s) only through the trained prop master/armorer or his assistant. There wasn't any joking around. Something went really wrong here, I can't even guess what.
    That's what I would expect. That's wild you worked props! Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Beyond this, why was he pointing the gun at the director of photography and why did he pull the trigger? I would understand if he shot another actor during a scene but 2 directors? Guess we have to see what comes out. I guess it could have been a catastrophic misfire where the gun itself exploded but those usually injure the shooter as well.
    I suspect they were filming a scene where the camera is positioned in front of the actor when he fires the gun. The director of photography may be looking through the camera and the director is standing next to her. So the two victims are standing where a bullet would travel.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    OK 2nd time this has happened. Happened to BRANDON Lee too. My biggest question is why was it a producer and not an actor or stunt person who was shot? Was he screwing around making a joke/prank pretending to shoot here and then OH SHIT!?!
    It was the cinematographer and director that were shot. Probably a shoot at the camera scene.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    It was the cinematographer and director that were shot. Probably a shoot at the camera scene.
    Ah OK sure hope it was something like that and not someone doing something stupid to be funny..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've shot 38 caliber blank wads at cans and bottles. It still shattered a bottle from about 8 feet away.
    True. Even blanks can absolutely eff somebody up. That's why it doesn't matter if it's real bullets or blanks. Safety still needs to be #1 priority on (and off) set.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    I suspect they were filming a scene where the camera is positioned in front of the actor when he fires the gun. The director of photography may be looking through the camera and the director is standing next to her. So the two victims are standing where a bullet would travel.
    Yeah. That makes the most sense. Bet you're right.

I know someone who does that horse barrel racing event where they have balloons tied to the top of the barrels and shoot them with blanks from horseback while racing through the course. Every time I see that I wonder how far away everyone else has to be for safety..