Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Now you're getting somewhere. That must be where the gun got a real bullet loaded.. It was left on the cart during lunch right??
    Look how things are going full circle. I want to point out again that anyone who shoots would know the difference between a live round and a blank. There are obvious differences. And when the live round was loaded into the revolver there had to be breakdowns in safety for someone to fire the weapon thinking it was not there. You would not be able to tell live or blank just looking at the primer side of the cylinder.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Look how things are going full circle. I want to point out again that anyone who shoots would know the difference between a live round and a blank. There are obvious differences. And when the live round was loaded into the revolver there had to be breakdowns in safety for someone to fire the weapon thinking it was not there. You would not be able to tell live or blank just looking at the primer side of the cylinder.
    As mentioned several times and seen in the press. "live ammo" is a common term on the set for a blank versus a dummy round.

That's the only reason I suggested it could be a blank in the gun others called a live round.. And ya, easy to tell the difference looking at the front of the round whether it is a blank or lead projectile

However Mr Gun Expert. Riddle me this. How do you tell the difference between a DUMMY meant to look like a real bullet looking down the barrel of a wheel gun and a real bullet?? I don't know the answer but I thought someone said there are marks on the back of the shell dictating it as a dummy instead of a real bullet..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

As mentioned several times and seen in the press. "live ammo" is a common term on the set for a blank versus a dummy round.

That's the only reason I suggested it could be a blank in the gun others called a live round.. And ya, easy to tell the difference looking at the front of the round whether it is a blank or lead projectile

However Mr Gun Expert. Riddle me this. How do you tell the difference between a DUMMY meant to look like a real bullet looking down the barrel of a wheel gun and a real bullet?? I don't know the answer but I thought someone said there are marks on the back of the shell dictating it as a dummy instead of a real bullet..
    There should be markings. But? I would assume that of late everything is reloaded ammo. You could make a round that looks like a blank but really has a lead projectile. It’s obvious that people didn’t spend the time to check. If you knew the gun was being used to fire live ammo. You would really check it when it came back. Right? The open issue is the same. When did the live round go in the gun. Who put it in there? Why How many hands were on that gun before Baldwin fired it.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    There should be markings. But? I would assume that of late everything is reloaded ammo. You could make a round that looks like a blank but really has a lead projectile. It’s obvious that people didn’t spend the time to check. If you knew the gun was being used to fire live ammo. You would really check it when it came back. Right? The open issue is the same. When did the live round go in the gun. Who put it in there? Why How many hands were on that gun before Baldwin fired it.
    And everyone in the chain of command is disputing the rumors of the gun being used for target practice after hours. There's no official documentation that any of that happened and everyone who was responsible for securing the gun says no way in hell that happened. So if that didn't happen, how does a real bullet show up.. and I think there were more according to the sheriff's evidence inventory.. If anyone has that documented please share it..

I know one thing for sure--if someone asks me to look down the barrel of a gun to see if there's a real bullet in it, I'll say no, no matter how much they're paying me. And if I were a cameraman being asked to have a gun pointed at me I would personally want to check that either the round has no powder or the gun was permanently incapable of firing.

And on a more general note, given how inured we all are to guns in movies and on TV, how can there still be any thrill factor in the camera looking down the barrel at a bullet? Is the verisimilitude worth the hassle factor, not to mention the danger?
    I wonder if the live ammo the sheriff found was in a box that could be traced to dealer and then purchaser.

It always amuses me that Hollywood directors make so much effort to get every period detail right when the whole story they are telling is ridiculous bullshit.
    Last edited by old goat; 11-04-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I know one thing for sure--if someone asks me to look down the barrel of a gun to see if there's a real bullet in it, I'll say no, no matter how much they're paying me. And if I were a cameraman being asked to have a gun pointed at me I would personally want to check that either the round has no powder or the gun was permanently incapable of firing.

And on a more general note, given how inured we all are to guns in movies and on TV, how can there still be any thrill factor in the camera looking down the barrel at a bullet? Is the verisimilitude worth the hassle factor, not to mention the danger?
    I wonder if the live ammo the sheriff found was in a box that could be traced to dealer and then purchaser.

It always amuses me that Hollywood directors make so much effort to get every period detail right when the whole story they are telling is ridiculous bullshit.
    Backyard wrestling shows aside.. How many times in a major production has a real bullet ended up killing someone when it was supposed to be blank or a dummy bullet? One is two many, but I can't think of more than two other times I've herd of EVER..
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 11-05-2021 at 09:59 AM.

I look at this story as a microcosm of society. It’s not hard to see the parallels.

Notable in the conversation around this very isolated incident, no one is gaslighting the listeners into thinking the whole crew should be armed or given unmitigated access to firearms in order to not be shot themselves.

It’s like a window into the minds of the gun enthusiasts when there’s no artificially hyped threat to “take the guns away.”

Some reasonable thoughts on the lethality of firearms & reasonable approaches to being safe around guns…

Just sort of amazing to see in miniature…

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

I think the reason for having (old "revolver" type) guns with (dummy) bullets isn't so that a bullet will be visible in the barrel, but so that bullets will be visible in the slots of the chamber that aren't lined up with the barrel.

Which is still a little silly, because only a total gun geek will even notice that. Keeping in mind that hand-to-hand combat scenes in movies routinely range from unrealistic to completely preposterous, maybe that barely perceptible bit of gun realism isn't all that necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    I think the reason for having (old "revolver" type) guns with (dummy) bullets isn't so that a bullet will be visible in the barrel, but so that bullets will be visible in the slots of the chamber that aren't lined up with the barrel.
    Exactly. I did type "looking down the barrel" but meant it in the figurative sense not literally. The shot/angle for that an observant person would be able to see if there are bullets in the wheel or not... looking down the barrel of a gun pointed at you.. Not. IN the barrel...

The next round is visible from the front on that gun, pull the hammer back and the cylinder revolves and the round that was visible on the left moves to the barrel. The dummy rounds should have a hole drilled in the shell to distinguish them from live rounds, they're identical other than that. Somebody didn't do their job, the gun was most likely used for target practice, never unloaded completely then loaded with dummy rounds. Somebody never learned to count.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    The next round is visible from the front on that gun, pull the hammer back and the cylinder revolves and the round that was visible on the left moves to the barrel. The dummy rounds should have a hole drilled in the shell to distinguish them from live rounds, they're identical other than that. Somebody didn't do their job, the gun was most likely used for target practice, never unloaded completely then loaded with dummy rounds. Somebody never learned to count.
    Or outright sabotage if there was no target practice and those rumors are proven false.. Either way the people checking the weapon failed tragically..

My money is still on outright sabotage.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My money is still on outright sabotage.
    the armorer was still suposed to check OR were they were sabotaging themself ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the armorer was still suposed to check OR were they were sabotaging themself ?
    Disgruntled staff upset over unsafe conditions trying to prove a point about those unsafe conditions??? I doubt murder was the goal of any sabotage though...

kill someone over working conditions really?

Still come down to one person but since it is america there has to be a conspiracy I supose

where the fuck is Columbo, you ever notice he was always late always the last cop on the scene
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-05-2021 at 01:50 PM.

^^^
    Disgruntled staff upset over unsafe conditions trying to prove a point about those unsafe conditions??? I doubt murder was the goal of any sabotage though...

yeah if they were just sabotaging a gun to prove a point about unsafe conditions they should have used a gun with blanks so nobody got hurt ... oh wait

Can we put a bullet in this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wouldn’t we lose aspca approval for this thread?

Apologies is this has been posted

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah if they were just sabotaging a gun to prove a point about unsafe conditions they should have used a gun with blanks so nobody got hurt ... oh wait
    Real bullets and dummies look a lot alike. Blanks look very different. The scene called for dummy bullets. A blank would have been spotted way more easily.

Who let that shit bird back in here?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post

Which is still a little silly, because only a total gun geek will even notice that. Keeping in mind that hand-to-hand combat scenes in movies routinely range from unrealistic to completely preposterous, maybe that barely perceptible bit of gun realism isn't all that necessary?
    Consider me educated.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    So, is this then the passengers fault for not double checking on the pilot?

IDK, we need to know his political opinions to make a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    IDK, we need to know his political opinions to make a judgement.
    I dunno. Is said passenger or pilot vocally anti-hang glider? Haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app