Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: Minimal but mighty pin binding

Title says it all. I'm exploring expanding my touring quiver because I have no fucking self control and looking for a lightish pin binding that can still be pushed reasonably hard. Thinking along the lines of MTN/Backland, Plum Guide, or one of the many Helio or ATK options. Ideally din around 12 and in the ~300g range (prefer no brakes). Only binding I don't want is a Dynafit Speedfit - have a pair now and don't really like them since the toes come unlocked on kick turns and the heel riser situation is less than ideal. Hoping to spend <$300 so I don't care if they've seen some love but could go up for the right pair since I know these bindings are pricey nowadays. lmk what you beautiful hoarders have
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

If you are considering the plum guide, why not a dyna speed turn 2.0? $229 from snowinn right meow.

Can't beat brand new and 10 (?) year warranty.

I like the 12 din of the plum but that’s a great deal, thanks for the heads up. Snowinn is legit right they just can take a long time to ship sometimes?
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Snowinn is legit, yes they can take a while to ship but sometimes they can also be really fast. The annoying thing is the price they quote in USD on the site isn't always current and they can overcharge you. You can dispute it with your CC company but its a pain and they don't always refund you the difference

You've prolly already seen this but decent list from Wild Snow comparing toe piece clamp strength...gives you good idea which bindings can be pushed the most, usual suspects all near the top

https://www.wildsnow.com/18803/compa...er-g3-dynafit/

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Title says it all. I'm exploring expanding my touring quiver because I have no fucking self control and looking for a lightish pin binding that can still be pushed reasonably hard. Thinking along the lines of MTN/Backland, Plum Guide, or one of the many Helio or ATK options. Ideally din around 12 and in the ~300g range (prefer no brakes). Only binding I don't want is a Dynafit Speedfit - have a pair now and don't really like them since the toes come unlocked on kick turns and the heel riser situation is less than ideal. Hoping to spend <$300 so I don't care if they've seen some love but could go up for the right pair since I know these bindings are pricey nowadays. lmk what you beautiful hoarders have

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    You've prolly already seen this but decent list from Wild Snow comparing toe piece clamp strength...gives you good idea which bindings can be pushed the most, usual suspects all near the top

https://www.wildsnow.com/18803/compa...er-g3-dynafit/
    Actually very helpful, thanks. I know there's more to the equation than just toe clamp strength but that's always been the weak point with pin bindings for me in the past. Interesting the big jump down after the top 6

I found this pretty helpful too, especially if you want shred on wider skis and need wider tech bindings

https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

Actually very helpful, thanks. I know there's more to the equation than just toe clamp strength but that's always been the weak point with pin bindings for me in the past. Interesting the big jump down after the top 6

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    I found this pretty helpful too, especially if you want shred on wider skis and need wider tech bindings

https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns
    Yup I've studied that one a bunch when trying to find bindings to fit in existing holes since I usually buy skis of the swiss cheese variety.

Almost feels like the Marker Alpinist is the best option I'm seeing for the impossible ratio of retention : power transfer : weight : price : mount footprint. Just hard to swallow since I have 10+ years of accrued Marker hate from being on TGR but I know they've been doing better recently

Yup I've studied that one a bunch when trying to find bindings to fit in existing holes since I usually buy skis of the swiss cheese variety.

Almost feels like the Marker Alpinist is the best option I'm seeing for the impossible ratio of retention : power transfer : weight : price : mount footprint. Just hard to swallow since I have 10+ years of accrued Marker hate from being on TGR but I know they've been doing better recently
    I don't love marker either but everything I've read here on the alpinist, and from respected contributors, suggest the alpinist is pretty robust.

I was sold on them because of those opinions and because of the low delta, but changed my mind over the lack of a high riser... which is a deal breaker where I tour.

On a completely different note, I have also never pre released from the numerous sets of dynafit bindings I've had over the years and never skied with toes locked out ... but apparently I'm an outlier.

I chose the G3 zed for my new touring setup based on simplicity, ramp, elasticity in the heel, weight, and price. Based on the wildsnow link it seems like it's toe pin hold is similar to dynafit but that's never been a problem for me before.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Yeah the riser situation on the alpinist seems clunky and lacking in general. Not too big of an issue where I primarily ski but it's the type of thing you don't care about until you really need it. For certain places it's out of the question, like when I was living in Tahoe all the skin tracks were abominations filled with dick measurements and dog shit

Yeah the riser situation on the alpinist seems clunky and lacking in general. Not too big of an issue where I primarily ski but it's the type of thing you don't care about until you really need it. For certain places it's out of the question, like when I was living in Tahoe all the skin tracks were abominations filled with dick measurements and dog shit
    I lol'ed.

But I also actually kind of like a steep skin track despite my dick measurements. Not sure why.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Anyone here use Ski Trab Titan Vario.2 bindings on wider skis, or generally push them hard? I have them on my spring skis (Vision 98) but haven't really beat on them, and now have to pick bindings for a new pair of Deathwish Tours. Tempted to stay really light but I'm going to be hucking my meat on these, might be smarter to stick with Tectons as on my Wildcats.

Quote Originally Posted by adamweld View Post
    Anyone here use Ski Trab Titan Vario.2 bindings on wider skis, or generally push them hard? I have them on my spring skis (Vision 98) but haven't really beat on them, and now have to pick bindings for a new pair of Deathwish Tours. Tempted to stay really light but I'm going to be hucking my meat on these, might be smarter to stick with Tectons as on my Wildcats.
    Mark Smiley skis them on everything including Bent Chetler 120 and Backland 107. Skimo co reviews include folks running them on big skis with no issue. I just ordered a pair yesterday, not sure what skis I'll put em on but I'm sure they will be fine on anything.

From what I've seen and read, the Plum Pika might be a good fit too. Wider mounting base, a higher 50mm riser, light but bomber construction, Plum clamp strength and a stomp pad to match. Only issue is it's kinda pricey but maybe you can get a good deal during an online sale

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Mark Smiley skis them on everything including Bent Chetler 120 and Backland 107. Skimo co reviews include folks running them on big skis with no issue. I just ordered a pair yesterday, not sure what skis I'll put em on but I'm sure they will be fine on anything.
    Did you find a decent deal on them? I have heard good things as well. Still on the hunt for a pair of pins!

Did you find a decent deal on them? I have heard good things as well. Still on the hunt for a pair of pins!
    Skimo Co had their annual sale where everything in the shop was 10% off. I think that's about as good as it gets for discounted Trab. If you compare the msrp of the Vario.2 its kind of low for what you're getting, similar ATK offerings are more expensive

Bump, still looking for a pair if you got some hanging around. Hoping for Alpinist 12, MTN, or ATK 12s (willing to shell out more for the latter two obviously) but happy with any 12 din with a strong toe

Backcountry is having a 20% off one full priced item this Friday. Don’t know what’s excluded, but might work out

Telemark-Pyrenees has the ATK Kuluar 12 LT for $330 and the Dynafit Superlite 12 for $290. I doubt you will find better deals until spring.

Telemark-Pyrenees has the ATK Kuluar 12 LT for $330 and the Dynafit Superlite 12 for $290. I doubt you will find better deals until spring.
    It should also be mentioned that that site has shipping restrictions to the US and Canada on a couple brands atomic, Solomon, etc. Some items also marked up if you're going to ship here. I don't know if ATK is affected

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    It should also be mentioned that that site has shipping restrictions to the US and Canada on a couple brands atomic, Solomon, etc. Some items also marked up if you're going to ship here. I don't know if ATK is affected
    Pretty sure its just Amer brands like Sally and Atomic. I've bought ATK and Dynafit from them in the US.

What’s the story with the Kuluar? Couldn’t find a ton of info on it in the ATK thread. Looks real light but does it give up heel elasticity?

Snowcountry has MTNs for 300 euros + 30 euros shipping (make sure to use the 30 euros discount to get the 300 price), and I think it is able to ship Sollys to the US

I just bought some stuff from them, and they have the fastest shipping speed I've seen from an EU shop. I bought on Saturday night and got the package Tuesday.

https://www.snowcountry.eu/salomon-mtn-pure.html

The Kuluar just came out so there isn’t much for reviews yet, but it sounds like a great option for you and it does have elastic travel in the heel

FWIW I bought a pair of skis from a light-and-fast buddy that he Frankenbinding’d a Speed Radical tow and Plum Race 170 heel. I was skeptical but gave it a try and really love the setup. Retention is great for the low weight. If you wanted to add a few extra features at a slight weight penalty the Oazo heel is similar. All can be bought from Skimo.co as separate toes and heels.