Drilling out plastic hole plugs

Want to do another mount on a previous plug, which was done with plastic. So I am planning on replacing it with hardwood in order to get a tad closer to that hole.

Planning on using a center punch with a light drill out, but curious if folks have had experience in this field, or other ideas.

Thanks
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Do you have access to a helicoil kit?

If yes, Use the helicoil drill bit to drill out the plastic plug. Next, set the thread with the helicoil tap, then install helicoil w installation tool and a bit of glue.

If you go the helicoil route, make sure you don't go too deep when installing the helicoil.. i have before and it bubbled my base just a wee bit.

I've pulled plastic plugs before just using a little threaded hook that you'd get at a hardware store. It's easy to screw into most plastic plugs by hand, without a pilot hole, and then you can just pull it out and the plug comes with it. Have pulled probably 100+ plastic plugs that way, without damaging the hole, or having to use any tools
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.54.57 PM.png
Views: 466
Size:  218.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I've pulled plastic plugs before just using a little threaded hook that you'd get at a hardware store. It's easy to screw into most plastic plugs by hand, without a pilot hole, and then you can just pull it out and the plug comes with it. Have pulled probably 100+ plastic plugs that way, without damaging the hole, or having to use any tools
    Hell yeah!

Didn't have a hook, but I did have a no. 6 wood screw which did the trick!
    Thanks for the advice.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Yeah I've had success screwing in a drywall screw and then prying it out with a claw hammer, just prop the hammer up on a piece of wood so you get a straight vertical pull. If the plugs were epoxied in they may shred when you pull in which case you can lightly drill them out - the bit will usually mash up all the plastic before it cuts into the wood so you don't actually have to be as precise as you think with the drilling
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Yeah, I've tried screws of various sizes. Sometimes it goes really well. Recently it's gone pretty horribly.
    The last set I did, I tried to pull them all, but got less than half to extract much at all. I ended up re-drilling with my regular 4.1 bit. (Pretty carefully, but not overly so.)

But I always use BBQ skewers and epoxy to fill old holes - so I don't really think drilling the plugs out matters a lot. Even then, I'd bet an epoxy-fiberglass sock around any screw would solve any slop, even if you re-used holes. (It would be messy and finicky to do, though.)

But honestly, I don't think I've found any way that's consistently great.
    Probably the best I've found is; drill a very small hole, to fit the screw. (I find that without the hole, the pressure on the plug seems to jam it in the hole harder, making it more likely it will shred.)
    Small screw - I think a #6 is probably too large.
    Hammer to pull as noted upthread.

I like the hook idea.

But when they're going well, it seems almost anything works fine.
    I have no idea why some go well and some don't. (I don't think it's glue. But what do I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I've always used wood screws and vice grips. Now I feel like a moron for not thinking of this.

I’ve only done this once. Metal top sheet ski. Center punch in approximately the middle of plastic plug and carefully drilled with 3.5 drill bit. Plug just spun out smoothly and I simply reused holes with wood glue. Mount has been bomber ever since.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums