WTB: Kastle FX95 HP/Chris Davenport -or- similar

So this is half WTB Gear Swap and half tech talk. Need a lighter ski that can handle seriously mixed conditions for a trip. Can only bring one ski based on weight restrictions we have getting there. Will be 100% long distance touring for turns, hence the weight callout.

This ski appealed to me for it's stability (there will likely be crud and generally unpleasant conditions), weight, but ability to handle powder just in case (i.e. some rocker in the tip) and also so I can use the darn things on certain days when I'm back too. Problem is I can't find anything in the 172? or 181 length available.

So, also open to something similar. Hoping this does not come off as a "what's a great one quiver ski?" post.

Have 179 Bros as daily drivers, stiff with alpine bindings and medium stiff with heavier touring bindings. Lhasas for deep days. Love the feel of the Bros. DPS with tele for chasing the kids around (hate the carbon "clunk" feel of those, know DPS could be a recommendation, also owned Lotuses and didn't love them) and skinny Kastles as ice skates on "those" days.
    All too heavy setups to bring.

Had LPs, great stability, not versatile. Gotamas, older gen, too noodly. Mantras, too stiff, not at all playful when it got soft. Wish I still had my old T Rocks, they would have been perfect from what I remember.

Looking for sub 100 underfoot (90-100ish) and length in the 172-182 length to save on weight. Want to throw some light weight tech bindings on them.

First priority would be someone holding FX95s, also open to something similar or a recommendation.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

The fx95 hp is a heavy ski with metal. Just saying
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

FX95HP is not something you want to tour on. Great inbounds ski though. I've never handled the regular FX95. They ski short due to the rocker.

FX94 is light and sounds like what you're looking for. Kind of like a 2012-2014 Mantra but lighter / softer / more playful, but not as light as a V-Werks Mantra. Cheap used though, and was available in a 176.

Maybe check out Head Kore series.

4frnt raven! I know they are 102 but... so solid but playful and buttery in pow, charge if you want, they are nice and stiff. Or maybe some of the blizzard zeroG series

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    FX95HP is not something you want to tour on. Great inbounds ski though. I've never handled the regular FX95. They ski short due to the rocker.

FX94 is light and sounds like what you're looking for. Kind of like a 2012-2014 Mantra but lighter / softer / more playful, but not as light as a V-Werks Mantra. Cheap used though, and was available in a 176.

Maybe check out Head Kore series.
    yeah, those Kastle's are not light. Both are around 2100g for 181cm FX95HP and 186cm FX94 respectively - really not touring weights in this era.

Kore, Ripstick, Rustler 9, Bent 100 are popular 50/50 skis from the resort side. Or WNDR 100, Agent 2.0, Navis Freebird, Commander Tour from the touring side

Shoot me a msg- have a 178 V werks
    Mantra am selling (excellent shape). Also have a pair of fx 95 hps in 181 I’d consider letting go of.

But agree with the consensus that touring on the fx 95 (or really any metal fx- 94 included) will be heavy.

Also agree a bliz zerog 95 is a wise option

I'll just say that for long distance touring, I'm guessing you'd want to stay well below 2000 gr, and closer to 1500. I'll 2nd (or 3rd) that the Zero G 95 is quite versatile and very light. Even the ZG105 is sub 1500 in a 180cm. Don't get lured into the ZG85 though - not versatile!

Weight and turn characteristics aside you will need a burley boot to drive them...so they are not skiing YOU. Now you need two things that are too heavy.

Don't do it.

Your short list should include a 178 TX98. Light, bomber, Kastle quality, feel and ride. I have a pair of 188 and I love them. Once in awhile, when it is neither bulletproof nor more than 4" of new snow, I will even ride them inbounds

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...is/kastle-tx98
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yeah the FX94 has metal, but the sheets are half as thick as on the FX95HP in order to reduce weight. I'd actually like to get a pair of 176 for a Spring booting ski, had a pair but sold them a couple years ago.

Would probably dig the TX98, but those are never cheap.

You sure you're talking about the ~2015 FX94? I have two pairs in 186cm, those are not light by any means, 2200ish gr iirc. They actually might be heavier, lb for lb, than ~2018 FX95hp. Thought FX94 had two sheets .4mm of titanal vs two sheets of .5mm on FX95HP but don't quote me.

Those new Volkl Blaze 94's would be another really good option. Pretty sweet sticks that check all the boxes and not too many moneez

Quote Originally Posted by meesta View Post
    You sure you're talking about the ~2015 FX94? I have two pairs in 186cm, those are not light by any means, 2200ish gr iirc. They actually might be heavier, lb for lb, than ~2018 FX95hp. Thought FX94 had two sheets .4mm of titanal vs two sheets of .5mm on FX95HP but don't quote me.
    Quote this man bc he is right.

If my memory serves me from doing a little work with Kastle back in the early 2010s, the first iterations of the FX94 (full camber) had .3mm titanal. Skis weren’t light, but that’s where the half-thickness rumor came from. The second iteration was the tip rocker version, but those went to .4mm titanal. Finally the FX95 abandoned any non-industry standard thickness metal and opted for the .5mm.

The weight differences between versions exist, and earlier versions do get lighter. But for the purposes envisioned by the OP those differences are negligible and won’t impact the overall feel of lugging around fucking bricks on your feet. Especially relative to most modern ski weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Those new Volkl Blaze 94's would be another really good option. Pretty sweet sticks that check all the boxes and not too many moneez
    Quote this fuckin guy too.

The Blaze is a good middle ground choice at a nice price point. Tbh the marketplace is full of the skis OP seeks: 95-100mm, 175-180cm, 1500-1800g/ski, stable predicable and serviceable across terrain/snow conditions. What a time to be alive.

Praxis Yeti. I did a season in New Zealand with only 192 Yetis for everything from bulletproof groomers to fresh maritime snow to couloirs. They can do it all with aplomb. It seriously checks all your boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    The fx95 hp is a heavy ski with metal. Just saying
    I came here to say the same.

The fx 95 hp also had some stiff ass tails.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    Shoot me a msg- have a 178 V werks
    Mantra am selling (excellent shape). Also have a pair of fx 95 hps in 181 I’d consider letting go of.

But agree with the consensus that touring on the fx 95 (or really any metal fx- 94 included) will be heavy.

Also agree a bliz zerog 95 is a wise option
    I may want to step second in line about those two skis. PM me at some point if the first guy doesn’t show any interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk