Tech manual for Look Nevada II toe and Gran Prix heel.

Ha. Yeah, there probably wasn't one.
    But I've got some very ancient skis and I wanted to remount the Nevada II's to fit my boots.
    Since I had no idea what size boots the original mount was for, I simply had to guess and create my own template.

What I'm actually looking for help on, is vertical spacing at the toe, and knowing if the heel looks reasonable.
    Also, I can't seem to get the screws in the heel dildo's to move. I assume this is how the heel release is set. I haven't tried super hard to move them, but they're pretty stubborn. Any special tips anyone knows? Or just use penetrating spray and adequate persuasion?

Potential issues: (All pics are a test mount on a board, but the mount should be nearly identical on the ski.)

Pic 1: The wings don't sit up against the toe of the boot, as the depth of insertion is limited by the length of the ISO toe.
    Not sure how big an issue this will be, but I'd guess it will be kind of sloppy side to side.

Pic 2: There's a ton of space between the ISO sole-plate and the top of the Ski (board). This is going to make it sloppy up and down too. No vertical adjust at the toe. Suggestions? (I could shim up the ski with, some slick plastic so there's some support under the toe.)

Pic 3: This looks to be about the right toe-heel spacing. But there's no back-pressure indicator (At least that I know about.) Does anyone know if that "looks" in the neighborhood?

TIA for any feedback!
    This should be fun to ski for the nostalgia. I'm skeptical about any reasonable release, and they'll probably ski like crap. But I'm not skiing them for their technical chops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211003_142209.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	660.0 KB 
ID:	389370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211003_142234-cr.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	911.0 KB 
ID:	389371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211003_142259-c.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	389373  
    Last edited by gregorys; 10-17-2021 at 08:14 PM.

I probably have the jig for that binding, if it helps in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Holy Hell
    And you give me shit for "wasting time" fixing edge compressions

Test mount only.
    A jig could give me hole spacing, which would help double-check my guess-work.

(I think that's a Nevada T Toe [at least according to the data I could dig up] - prior to the N57, but the heel is the original Grand Prix.)

I'm no ski history buff, but it looks like a fairly standardized boot, resembling the ISO 5355 didn't arrive until well after this binding was designed. So, I'd guess we just have to make it best fit a 5355 boot, eh? (So shimming up the toe, [teflon coated AFD - perhaps something I could 3d print] etc is about all one can do.)

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Holy Hell
    And you give me shit for "wasting time" fixing edge compressions
    LOL.

Ok, guilty as charged.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    LOL.

Ok, guilty as charged.

Test mount only.
    A jig could give me hole spacing, which would help double-check my guess-work.

(I think that's a Nevada T Toe [at least according to the data I could dig up] - prior to the N57, but the heel is the original Grand Prix.)

I'm no ski history buff, but it looks like a fairly standardized boot, resembling the ISO 5355 didn't arrive until well after this binding was designed. So, I'd guess we just have to make it best fit a 5355 boot, eh? (So shimming up the toe, [teflon coated AFD - perhaps something I could 3d print] etc is about all one can do.)
    Real men skied that toe with the Look non-releasable turntable and long thongs. Hit me up if you want a new-in-box pair.

You're definitely gonna die.

Heh.
    Real men straight-line Tuckermans...
    In 1939, Toni Matt became the first person to straight-line the headwall, accidentally, at the infamous American Inferno, a 4.2 mile race from the summit to base. Toni completed the 4,000 vertical foot course in just 6 minutes 29.2 seconds, reaching a top speed of 85 mph–on wooden skis.

http://newenglandskimuseum.org/remem...-1939-inferno/

Two things, I can't tell from the pic you may have had to notch the toe of the boot at the front to get wing contact like the old days (don't do that). And be frikking careful when you put the boot in the heel piece because that bastard will smash your hand good when it closes.
    Last edited by waxman; 10-18-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Hahaha!
    Why does it not surprise me you'd have a pair as well!?!

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Two things, I can't tell from the pic you may have had to notch the toe of the boot at the front to get wing contact like the old days (don't do that). And be frikking careful when you put the boot in the heel piece because that bastard will smash your hand good when it closes.
    The toe that required notching the boot toe didn't have the wings . . .

So, GregL/waxman - does the general heel/toe spacing look ok. Should the heel-piece lay clear up against the boot, or is that gap about right?
    (Probably doesn't matter much, they're not likely releasing until my leg goes with it. The era after the mid '70's is when broken legs declined a lot with Spademan and other better bindings. At least I think I've got the timeline right.)

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The toe that required notching the boot toe didn't have the wings . . .
    Right, the one piece casting that became every ski potheads favorite pipe, my bad.

OP, once you adjust the toe wing width and the heel bars you'd be pretty close for Hot Dog day or straightlining Tuckermans.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I'm thinkin if you spent the time working instead of dinkin w/ garbage, you could just afford to buy a decent set of clamps

So, GregL/waxman - does the general heel/toe spacing look ok. Should the heel-piece lay clear up against the boot, or is that gap about right?
    I used to set them up with a slightly bigger gap - but adjust the toe wings with the set screws so the boot doesn't slide back and forth . . .

I'm thinkin if you spent the time working instead of dinkin w/ garbage, you could just afford to buy a decent set of clamps
    More true than you can imagine!

I just gotta give you a hard time about this
    But in all seriousness, be careful dude!

I just gotta give you a hard time about this
    But in all seriousness, be careful dude!
    Ha! All in good fun.

I do waste way more time fiddling with skis - when I should be workin'. And I'd make way more money workin' anyway. (But it's kind of like buying Taco Bell - I can't bring myself to order anything more than a couple of bucks. Until recently (and the demise of many of the cheaper things I'd eat there) I was usually under $1 ea. Yeah, there's no reason I couldn't buy the Taco Supreme, other than my cheap self. That's a hard habit to break. Similarly, tinkering with skis allows me to have more skis than I could convince myself to buy at more "normal" pricing.)

As for safety - I broke my right tib+fib in 2015. I'm just working to stay symmetrical.

More seriously - these will be for a few runs a year, down groomers at modest speed. (And to stash in ski-check for everyone to gawk at.)

It simply seemed like a fun project when a friend of my daughters brought them by as "something from Grandpa's shed..." I'd guess the last time they were skied was someplace like Spout Springs. (Funny enough I've even skied there, half a lifetime ago, myself. It's the definition of quaint.)
    Last edited by gregorys; 10-21-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Don't forget your safety straps!