An unthreadworthy fill dirt question (contractor mags?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1634501724.983593.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	389323

I put in some little retaining walls and now need some fill dirt to even out the grade. Maybe raise by 6” on the low side, even 8”-10” in the corner.

Need to park vans and trailers and toys. There

Fill dirt (can mean anything)?
    Base course?
    Could I just get one load of gravel and succeed in both leveling and surface material?

Whattya think?

Just fill the whole deal up with 5/8” minus. Do it in two lifts, compacting each thoroughly…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1634501724.983593.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	389323

Whattya think?
    I think first Glade is going to show up and tell you are doing it wrong and that you are a fucking retard.
    Then fastfred and couple others will give you a quotes ranging from 50-to-100k.
    After that you will get links to questions that you never even asked, get frustrated, go to youtube and watch two videos and then do the job in 15 minutes.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Careful w/ your perimeter board when running the compactor; it’s easier than you might expect to bend them

I say just fill it with the cheapest gravel you can find and tamp away. If you find low spots next spring, fill them with bag gravel and tamp again. Cool van

Gravel will be easiest.
    Looks like you got a little swale that catches water and carries to the back left corner? If that was designed, just fill the whole thing with loose D2 or whatever sized gravel you want, to allow water to flow.
    If it's not designed and you don't want it, compact it with a tamper, fill it up with soil compacted it in 4"-6" lifts, then top the new with a 4-6" layer of gravel [maybe an inch higher than the existing gravel to allow for settlement].

Clean gravel takes a long time or a lot of traffic to compact. It usually has to have a little soil or fines to bind it.
    Soil and subgrade density is sort of a big deal with roadbuilding. As a rule, you want your subgrade to be 95-100% as compact as it can ever be. So don't spare the compaction before you dress the top with gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    I think first Glade is going to show up and tell you are doing it wrong and that you are a fucking retard.
    After that you will get links to questions that you never even asked, get frustrated, go to youtube and watch two videos and then do the job in 15 minutes.
    this man knows his TRGs.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Not sure if Glade uses the "r" word? Otherwise seems accurate..

If he does, fuck him.

If he doesn't, fuck you.

That's all I've got...

I would pour a concrete slab, damn the cost.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Dirt to fill it up and compact the shit out of that; leave the last 2"-3" for gravel so you're not tracking mud all over. Mind how you grade it so it drains in a direction that makes sense. 6-10" of loose gravel turns into ruts instantly.

You'll need to top off the gravel every once in a while depending on how often you're in an out of there.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

^^^ DJ might be a salty fuck, but he knows his his grading and concrete.

Just filling with gravel would be easy but you'd get stuck in there bc it won't really compact. Dirt with gravel on top is the way. If you're buying fill, use road base and do it in max 6" lifts using a plate compactor.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    ^^^ DJ might be a salty fuck, but he knows his his grading and concrete.

Just filling with gravel would be easy but you'd get stuck in there bc it won't really compact. Dirt with gravel on top is the way. If you're buying fill, use road base and do it in max 6" lifts using a plate compactor.
    I've built a temp construction yard or two. If you go with road base, make sure to wet it as your spread it out. The magic of road base is with proper moisture content when compacting. It helps the fines cement together. Probably overkill for a toy pad, but if you're buying dirt anyway the price difference between clean fill and road base is too small to matter.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    I like bacon.
    "Can't you see..."

is there a dead hooker under there ?

If not , why not ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If there is a dead hooker under there make sure you've got some clay in the fill. If its all gravel the decomposition stink will escape.

We prefer 3/4" screened rock, compacted in lifts as described above, for the subgrade below our flatwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I like bacon.

https://www.mdirock.com/resources/un...rades-and-uses

Just one hole in the ground? weak.
    "Can't you see..."