Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    You could live next door to Full Trucker

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...96849248_zpid/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    This

The fight is really bottom vs top, the big $ at the top rigs the game in their favor.

They've got everyone below them fighting amongst each other, makes us easier to control.
    And yet no one wants to believe what they see with their own fucking eyes.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

And it's not just mountain towns getting run over by the WFH city exodus movement, here's a FB post from a Mid Coast Maine Lobster fisherman's POV.

Aragosta Mama
    O0cto3ber 26 consa01thoi 1e21d:32 PtgM ·
    I don't know how to say this without sounding too stressy depressy lemon zesty but for Pete's sake I certainly am getting tired of people demanding "peace and quiet" in Harpswell because they have "worked so hard" and just want to "enjoy their retirement". The balls on these people, the complete lack of awareness, the fucking privilege. Commercial fishermen help you live better!
    The stories aren't anecdotal. People moving to Harpswell are putting effort into obstructing fishermen's right to work and the systems and ordinances that we have (in most coastal communities) have not been updated to account for the quickly changing and growing population.
    Retiring is a privilege. Working is a right.
    Don't get it twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You could live next door to Full Trucker

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...96849248_zpid/
    WTH is in Salida? That seems like a way overpriced house IMO?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    It's in ColoRADo, bro.

It is on three lots, with buildable options.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Overpriced relative to what? What is cost 5 years ago? What you'd be willing to pay for it?

What Salida has is: a very nice climate, the Ark, great trails, a pretty fair downtown, restaurant/bar, event scene, Monarch but most importantly very good short term rental income opportunity for 6 months of the year.

Compared to what? Not many places at that price point for that amount of space with a walkable/bikable town in CO. Just shows you how fucked our housing situation is.

Salida has a couple of breweries, food options, great weather, good skiing within 30min, great mtb/trail running for a long season.

Mountains, skiing, mountain biking, fishing, whitewater, breweries... it's pretty much got it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I don't like labels but honestly, I've got more respect for the overt "fuck you, I've got mine" mindset that may be considered conservative than the faux wok "I'm all about change as long is it is something other people do, I've got a certain lifestyle I'm trying to maintain over here" attitude that can be associated with liberals.

I truly don't know if we did it to ourselves or if it was a calculated agenda of the ruling elite, but income and asset percentiles 10% to 90% should be uniting to take bake the conversation but instead its North vs. South, Dem vs. Rep, Camo vs Patagonia, pickup vs important sedan.
    And you just did it with your stereotypes above that line yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    After a man gets to a certain age, the bushcraft lifestyle starts to loose some of its appeal.
    Even Dick Proenneke moved out of the bush eventually

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

NYT:
    “Of the 174 countries that offer paid leave for a personal health problem, just 26 offer four weeks or fewer, according to data from the World Policy Analysis Center at the University of California, Los Angeles.”

Many countries offer 12 week to a year. And the US offers NONE. Yep we are exceptional, in the fine company of Suriname, Papua New Guinea. Glad I live in OR where, one of the eight states that do have it.

I truly don't know if we did it to ourselves or if it was a calculated agenda of the ruling elite
    Ask Mitch Mcconnell (or Kevin Mccarthy or John Boehner or Newt Gingrinch, etc) about the all-or-nothing intentional intractability of the modern GOP.

While the Democrats haven't done themselves any favors, the scale of impact that the GOP bloc solidarity strategy has had outweighs any other current criticism leveled against the government. They have weaponized partisanship [and also complained that partisanship is ruining politics].

It's garnered them out-sized power, so I guess that works for them anyway...

I'm a far from miserable person. The fact that I see my community circling the drain and I view the local economy & society as sustainable and am both vocal and willing to do something about it isn't a problem to me.
    Hard to tell given the continual suggestion new neighbors ruin everything in mountain zone bucolia. First rule after joining the club is keeping people out of the club. We've been through this before. Time doesn't stand still. Assholes span all professions and locales.

And it's not just mountain towns getting run over by the WFH city exodus movement, here's a FB post from a Mid Coast Maine Lobster fisherman's POV.

Aragosta Mama
    I don't know how to say this without sounding too stressy depressy lemon zesty but for Pete's sake I certainly am getting tired of people demanding "peace and quiet" in Harpswell because they have "worked so hard" and just want to "enjoy their retirement". The balls on these people, the complete lack of awareness, the fucking privilege. Commercial fishermen help you live better!
    The stories aren't anecdotal. People moving to Harpswell are putting effort into obstructing fishermen's right to work and the systems and ordinances that we have (in most coastal communities) have not been updated to account for the quickly changing and growing population.
    Don't get it twisted.
    Are we supposed to be mad at WFHers or boomer retirees after reading?

This whole thing kinda reminds me of Occupy.
    Same recipe: Legit gripe with how normal working people get screwed. Young people get all fired up and take it to an impossible extreme. Spastic meme-y overreactions overshadow the legit structural issues, removing focus from the real root problems. The whole thing will fizzle, having changed nothing for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Hard to tell given the continual suggestion new neighbors ruin everything in mountain zone bucolia. First rule after joining the club is keeping people out of the club. We've been through this before. Time doesn't stand still. Assholes span all professions and locales.

Retirees. WFH people usually put on headphones and don't spend their free time changing town government to suit them. Short-sighted retirees are the cause of MANY community problems across the country as they have the time to lobby the local gov or serve on it and most don't give a fuck about anyone but people like them. It's where a lot of school funding cuts etc. come from.

Aragosta Mama
    Don't get it twisted.
    This just in: traditional businesses in rural areas are loud, noisy, shitty and often not particularly economically productive.

My only showstopper when it comes to buying a home/property is having to join a HOA. No thanks. Flood zone or fire risk areas a close second.. WFH is pretty sweet, but I've done it for 13 of the last 16 years and after a day or halfway through the day all I want to do is get the hell out of my own house. Id does kinda ruin the "home sweet home" vibe if you can't shut your work shit down and walk away at 5pm until 9am..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    This just in: traditional businesses in rural areas are loud, noisy, shitty and often not particularly economically productive.
    What defines economically productive? Is it sustainability or growth?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    And often part of the fabric of the community or in the case of coastal Maine part of the identity of the whole friggin state bub

If they don't like the sound of diesel lobster boats firing up at 3am they shouldn't have bought a house within earshot of the sound of their $30 lobster roll being harvested. Maybe a lake house would be better

As someone that feels increasing surrounded by these types, boy are they an unaware and unhappy bunch. You'd think folks fortunate enough to talk the two doodles for a walk around the pond in the middle a nice sunny midweek day could, every now and then, smile and say high. Nope.

If your existence is so fuckin' miserable, why to you need to throw off the vibe that everyone and everything is a threat to it?
    So... you've been to Portland?

Also; the last person in wants to build the biggesf fence. It works on so many levels

While simultaneously decrying government dysfunction.

Wonder if your new neighbors are thinking the same.
    Functional government? Ha! Less and less it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Ask Mitch Mcconnell (or Kevin Mccarthy or John Boehner or Newt Gingrinch, etc) about the all-or-nothing intentional intractability of the modern GOP.

While the Democrats haven't done themselves any favors, the scale of impact that the GOP bloc solidarity strategy has had outweighs any other current criticism leveled against the government. They have weaponized partisanship [and also complained that partisanship is ruining politics].

It's garnered them out-sized power, so I guess that works for them anyway...
    Perhaps I'm mis-reading, but to assume that only one party is weaponizing partisanship is foolish. They both do it and that wedge - whatever it is - is hammered in by both sides and used according to what suits their needs.

Remember, the last person in wants to build the biggest fence. Oh, and we're supposed to be mad at everyone, according to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Mountains, skiing, mountain biking, fishing, whitewater, breweries... it's pretty much got it all.
    Okay, then that place is WAY underpriced then. Someone should snap it up before one of the REIT's gets it and does a sloppy interior paint job and throws it back on the market for $100k more.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I don't like labels but honestly, I've got more respect for the overt "fuck you, I've got mine" mindset that may be considered conservative than the faux wok "I'm all about change as long is it is something other people do, I've got a certain lifestyle I'm trying to maintain over here" attitude that can be associated with liberals.
    The latter are fake liberals, neo liberals at best. Fox does it's best to use the label.

The former do seem to be more true to the conservative principles.

I do think the Murdochs, the Mercers and the Koch are engaging in fostering division.

The problem is that the whole dynamic is a money making situation for media as a whole and all of us buy into it all the fucking time.

I know I make some of you puke with my boring droning on about showing each other more respect, but hey, carry on and be sure to know who looks back from the mirror.

So we're homeowners in a small town. For the last 15 years, everyone waved at each other on the street, from cars and bikes. It was friendly. For the first time this last summer, it stopped and a hello has been met by sullen dispositions.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Everything in the middle is the churn.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The latter are fake liberals, neo liberals at best. Fox does it's best to use the label.

The former do seem to be more true to the conservative principles.

I do think the Murdochs, the Mercers and the Koch are engaging in fostering division.

The problem is that the whole dynamic is a money making situation for media as a whole and all of us buy into it all the fucking time.

I know I make some of you puke with my boring droning on about showing each other more respect, but hey, carry on and be sure to know who looks back from the mirror.

So we're homeowners in a small town. For the last 15 years, everyone waved at each other on the street, from cars and bikes. It was friendly. For the first time this last summer, it stopped and a hello has been met by sullen dispositions.
    Anger, Inc. is worth a read. The media landscape will make a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Everything in the middle is the churn.
    Or is it chum?