Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well Ronny likes bartending and she is probably now slinging beer at the best place in town TO sling beer so in her mind she has moved up .

its also pretty easy for people to get a camp job up here on major projects but apparently they can't find workers either skilled or not, even the drug dealer from the bar got himself vaxed & has found himself a good camp gig

big question is who & where are the people that left the work force ?

I've also seen an artical that some 65+ retired folks are short of $$$$$ and having to come back to work
    As a sparky I am intrigued. What's a tradesman making up there if the drug dealer is joining the workforce?

Dollar fiddy
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    My bad. Let's try again...

/end thread
    /sad trombone

Not sure what a sparky makes but union scale i imagine, there are 3 major project under way Site C, CGL, Bruce jack so I think there are lotsa in-camp jobs but those projects have depleted the local work force both skilled and not somebody has to shovel snow/ sweep floors/ and for skilled I am pretty sure i know where you could make big coin wrenching/ running or fixing a snowcat

I think buddy the dealer who wasn't going to vax cuz " I should be dead anyway " is just moving up in the job market having seen too many people die from an OD or Violence in his previous job so a better job comes along , a job where nobody pulls guns on him

as oposed to a shovel bunny they got him doing a somewhat scientific tech job cuz he is smart, other wise he would be dead already
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not sure what a sparky makes but union scale i imagine, there are 3 major project under way Site C, CGL, Bruce jack so I think there are lotsa in-camp jobs but those projects have depleted the local work force both skilled and not somebody has to shovel snow/ sweep floors/ and for skilled I am pretty sure i know where you could make big coin wrenching/ running or fixing a snowcat

I think buddy the dealer who wasn't going to vax cuz " I should be dead anyway " is just moving up in the job market having seen too many people die from an OD or Violence in his previous job so a better job comes along , a job where nobody pulls guns on him

as oposed to a shovel bunny they got him doing a somewhat scientific tech job cuz he is smart, other wise he would be dead already
    I am a fairly specialized electrician in highrise commercial/industrial controls/hvac automation. I love the work but I hate that it's fairly specific to big cities. I don't have a mechanical license but I can keep an audi quirky audi allroad running. I'm also fairly techy with good skills in adobe indesign/illustrator and decent python coding skills. I might have to come up for a ski trip to drop off my resume.

I been getting lots of linkedin offers, and they all boast they match union rate. I ask them for minimum 20% over and powder days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I am a fairly specialized electrician in highrise commercial/industrial controls/hvac automation. I love the work but I hate that it's fairly specific to big cities. I don't have a mechanical license but I can keep an audi quirky audi allroad running. I'm also fairly techy with good skills in adobe indesign/illustrator and decent python coding skills. I might have to come up for a ski trip to drop off my resume.

I been getting lots of linkedin offers, and they all boast they match union rate. I ask them for minimum 20% over and powder days.
    #theartofthedeal
    #FKNA

I think you gotta be Canadian

eh

Canadian and vaxxed. I just want a house where I can wrench on my stuff and tour big lines without having to work 60+hrs a week. I don't care if the best coffee shop in town is tim hortons.

I would just send resumes

Specialized electrical might be a place in Kitimat at Reo-tinto ?

the Brucejack mine could be steady work for yars, base yerself out of Terrace or Smithers which both have small local ski hills and there is no shortage of ski touring

I hear they have a REALLY good chief at Bruce jack,

but get yourself out of the city, I never regretted getting out of Vangroovy, things were much better once i was beyond Hope

A few years ago the ski areas were pulling guys out of the mechatronics finals at Sierra College in Truckee to maintain lifts. I assume the demand is still there. Lifts aren't getting any simpler.

yeah I dunno if i would wana be that really greasy guy wandering thru the bar wearing a safety harness, I doubt they get payed well to work horrendous hrs when the snow is on the ground

but a mine would pay really well year round

Canadian and vaxxed. I just want a house where I can wrench on my stuff and tour big lines without having to work 60+hrs a week. I don't care if the best coffee shop in town is tim hortons.
    Any town over 5,000 in western NA now has at least one coffee shop better than a Tim Hortons. That’s due to both an improvement in typical independent coffee shop quality and a decrease in Tim Hortons quality.

yeah I dunno if i would wana be that really greasy guy wandering thru the bar wearing a safety harness, I doubt they get payed well to work horrendous hrs when the snow is on the ground

but a mine would pay really well year round
    I think that's the electrician or the mechanic, not the mechatronics guy. (I was stuck on a chair in a pretty good storm for a good 45 minutes near the top and feeling pretty sorry for myself until the lift finally started moving, crested a ridge, and there was a guy with a very, very large wrench on top of a tower. I didn't feel that sorry for myself then.)

The Director of Lift Maintenance at a major resort near me is paid so well she's forced to live in the back of her pickup truck. Most of the FT, year-round guys make less than $15/hour.

As much as I love skiing, I would love seeing resorts unable to operate due to lack of staff even more.

Around here doctors and bankers live in the back of pickup trucks. Only real estate agents can afford houses.

Wow, so you have an elevator in the back of your pickup? Impressive.

He has one of those old man high rise cappers. Clearly.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Wow, so you have an elevator in the back of your pickup? Impressive.
    I'd assume OG is referring to the current incoming docs and bankers rather than those that began to practice in the Pleistocene. Or was it the Cretaceous?

When i moved here ever one said don't get a job at the ski hill cuz you end up working instead of skiing

so I didn't get a job

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I'd assume OG is referring to the current incoming docs and bankers rather than those that began to practice in the Pleistocene. Or was it the Cretaceous?
    And bought their property back then..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    And bought their property back then..
    Stole it from the mammoths you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The Director of Lift Maintenance at a major resort near me is paid so well she's forced to live in the back of her pickup truck. Most of the FT, year-round guys make less than $15/hour.

As much as I love skiing, I would love seeing resorts unable to operate due to lack of staff even more.
    if the lift is down you are working whatever your title is

the big hills in BC are reporting a problem getting staff, it sounded like Big White is hundreds of bodies short, same with revy, whistler I would imagine the same

So a lot of ski hill workers come from away, so they want to come and work but its a problem getting in

they interviewed a retail out let at big white and buddy (from auz) couldn't find staff, he needs 6 bootfitters and only has 2, a lot of BigWhite and Silver Star employees came form downunder

I don't care if the best coffee shop in town is tim hortons.
    As a yooper, I would love if the best coffee shop in my town were Tim Horton’s.
    Count your blessings canucks.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er;
    it sounded like Big White is hundreds of bodies short
    Name:  1D7E038E-8E83-4359-B14D-3D363783834B.jpeg
Views: 437
Size:  302.2 KB
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 10-23-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    As a yooper, I would love if the best coffee shop in my town were Tim Horton’s.
    Count your blessings canucks.
    Is this not acceptable?

https://www.velodromecoffeecompany.com/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident