Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    For example, Syracuse University costs $71,00 per SEMESTER including room and board.
    That figure is for a year, not a semester. Not that it excuses the exorbitant cost.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    So at $15/hr it would take 20 full time weeks of work to pay for a year of tuition/room and no board. Sounds fair.
    Fair? what the fuck is fair?

I did 4 years in the pen, worked part time and i came out fine with a degree and a pile of loans. care to guess what happened next? i got a job and paid the loans off!!!!! Is that fair?

I'm wondering what means "fair" and why you think your dreamt up perspective of "fairness" even applies to this situation?

i get a bit ruffled with this whole "Government should pay off all student loans" bullshit. People signed up, got loans, went to school, got a degree, and AS AGREED TO PREVIOUSLY, they now have loans to pay off upon gradumacation. No surprises there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    For realz. Homey be like "Work? What's that?!" He's literally said as much time and time again. Guy must've married, inherited, or invested really well.
    i did it the old fashioned way, I showed up, worked for it, squandered no chances,

I did divorce well tho
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, private schools are insane but state schools have gone way up too. Tuition for my first semester at Berkeley in 2000 was $1800. In my last year it was $2400. Now it's like $10k. Plus all of the other cost of living stuff has gone way up in price too.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    For example, Syracuse University costs $71,00 per SEMESTER including room and board. So, basically, $150,000 for a year at school. What part time job is going to pay for that?
    Yes, there are scholarships for some students, but not all. And that’s not a particularly expensive school.
    Maybe you are thinking of community college/trade schools?
    (I just chose SU as an average school)
    Its 70k per year, not semester

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    it’s much more challenging to pay for school while working than it used to be.
    Succinct and factual. Inflating numbers and choosing expensive private schools as an average/baseline makes the conversation divisive.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Don't get him started. He retired from IBM at like 45 with a full pension and owns a house with a basement apartment and the renter covers the full mortgage. So he's got it made, and good for him, but just about everything he says about the current state of affairs sounds like he just woke up from a 50-year coma.
    thats not actualy all correct^^

also Canada is different than America so I don't have to spend money on all them guns

and its unnecessary to establish a perimeter

but enogh making fun of America, what do kids do if mom and dad has already paid for uni and unless they have done a coop what do they know after they get out ?

how much $$$$$ cost is the parents and their expectations for the Chipper or Brie ?

I was expected to become an electriction or something like that so i exceed my parents expectations

I don't recall cuing the other Boomers to chime in with how much easier it was for us to work and pay for our own college at the same time. Wife did it totally legit with ZERO support from her parents. 4.0 high school valedictorian, governor's prep school, and 2-3 jobs only took her 7 years to graduate.. Took us another 10 to pay off her loans. Easy peasy!!

Now it costs five times as much or more than it did in the 80s..

And my kids will definitely graduate with student loan debt. We're paying for about half of it upfront..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

XXXer is significantly out of touch with literally everything.
    It's what happens when you gum up the synapses with aquaseal.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, private schools are insane but state schools have gone way up too. Tuition for my first semester at Berkeley in 2000 was $1800. In my last year it was $2400. Now it's like $10k. Plus all of the other cost of living stuff has gone way up in price too.
    Minimum wage in CA was like $6.50 during this time frame.

I think it’s $14 now, maybe higher in Berkeley?

Back in the dark ages when I went college, I found it was a lot more efficient to take a semester or two off and work full time. Got some real jobs on the resume that paid more than college town gigs. Always a danger of not going back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I am pro-drug but huffing toluene is generally a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    YMMV, but I'd say my biggest regret of undergrad was working too much, as I split time between social work, catering and Amazon sales.
    It helped with the monthly bills, but it didn't dent the cost of education, and looking back, I wish I spent those 4 years sprucing up my degree with a second language, more focused internship experience, etc.
    College has a ROI, and you can absolutely shrink it if you're spending too much of your time washing dishes.
    Looking back the most productive and useful undergrad jobs long term were the people who worked off campus at a semi-challenging “real” job like assistant manager of a store or restaurant. The other jobs not so useful.

edit: and I wouldn’t expect this to pay for an undergrad education. Yeah. Some tgr work from home sales drone can pick the cheapest state school around with instate tuition but gfy.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Looking back the most productive and useful undergrad jobs long term were the people who worked off campus at a semi-challenging “real” job like assistant manager of a store or restaurant. The other jobs not so useful.
    I was a manager of a couple different retail luggage stores when I was in grad school.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I probably should be dead by now from all the Trichlorathane I huffed before i huffed all that tolulene, and i'm not so smart,

not as smart as some of the college boy who have outsmarted them selves

Instead I'm like Bob Duval walking around in the beach scene of "Apocalypse Now " nothin is gona hit me

Actulaly when you think about it I probably am out of touch after 16 yrs of whatever man

so everbuddy is disssing me FOR being out of touch

but they all wana be out of touch too

Maybe the chemical exposure drives the “not so smart”?

now you're just making up words like "trichlorathane" and "tolulene" to prove the synapses point.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I probably should be dead by now from all the Trichlorathane I huffed before i huffed all that tolulene, and i'm not so smart,

not as smart as some of the college boy who have outsmarted them selves

Instead I'm like Bob Duval walking around in the beach scene of "Apocalypse Now " nothin is gona hit me

Actulaly when you think about it I probably am out of touch after 16 yrs of whatever man

This is the sort of post that should rouse DigitalDeath so he can tell you to "go to sleep."

Fuck yeah I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Fair? what the fuck is fair?

I did 4 years in the pen, worked part time and i came out fine with a degree and a pile of loans. care to guess what happened next? i got a job and paid the loans off!!!!! Is that fair?

I'm wondering what means "fair" and why you think your dreamt up perspective of "fairness" even applies to this situation?

i get a bit ruffled with this whole "Government should pay off all student loans" bullshit. People signed up, got loans, went to school, got a degree, and AS AGREED TO PREVIOUSLY, they now have loans to pay off upon gradumacation. No surprises there, right?
    We need a sarcasm font.

You got a free college education in prison? Cool. Sarcasm again.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Fuck yeah I'm jealous.
    I agree. Lotta people rip on XXX but he is one of the funnier posters here.

I think we are all just generally annoyed by each other, we've all been here too long.

i did it the old fashioned way, I showed up, worked for it, squandered no chances,

I did divorce well tho
    You certainly played your cards right, that's for sure. /golfclap

Fuck yeah I'm jealous.
    Totally. Same. Still pretty out of touch with the real world, though. Haha.

Mt lawyer tells me # 1 reason for divorce is money problems

I think about all the must-have shit people have now days compared to back in the day and it seems like a lot of extra's we take for granted, in 2021 what family of 5 lives in a 1200 sq' house drivivng a sucession of well used cars and has a phone with a dial ?

i don't get "college money " I defintley didnt get any and I didnt give any, I see kids who get college money just work less while their parent works more, why can't a kid work for it ?

And they will if they wana go to school
    Jezuz, man, college was practically free when we were kids. Now, it's like half a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    That figure is for a year, not a semester. Not that it excuses the exorbitant cost.
    Yeah, you know, things are tough, but, c'mon. Besides, kinda stupid to spend that much for SU.

There's going to be a lot of carnage in that mid market of schools, btw. At those prices, if it ain't ivy league, nobody is going to buy.

I have never had a real job in all the time posting on TGR, is the real world the one where i try to post something funny shit or is it your world where it sounds like

you didnt win ?