Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    People still have to pay the rent though, don't they? Or don't they.

Childcare centers have been getting gutted too, but that field has always been overworked and underpaid.
    Since COVID, quality care has become very challenging to find and expensive AF. That has prompted many to go the SAHD / SAHM route and roll with one income.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Haven't seen anything ever top the flight attendant that got on the PA and told all the passengers and crew to fuck off, grabbed a beer from the galley then popped and hopped the slide out of the plane..
    Link? I've seen some great quitting videos but never this one. Prove its real!

^^^ https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...a-escape-slide
    It was in 2010
    “Alcohol may have contributed” to his method of termination

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Link? I've seen some great quitting videos but never this one. Prove its real!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JetB...ndant_incident

Feels like everyday I see a video of some entitled white guy freaking the fuck out over having to wear a mask on a plane. The industry needs to tell travelers in no uncertain terms that if they act up on a plane they will be banned from all airlines for the next 10 years and fucking do it. I am getting really tired of all the Covid Cunts out there making peoples jobs tougher than they need to be.
    Want to quit your job? We have all been there and it is the only way to get ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Haven't seen anything ever top the flight attendant that got on the PA and told all the passengers and crew to fuck off, grabbed a beer from the galley then popped and hopped the slide out of the plane..
    Still the greatest quit story ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Will we notice that in the lift lines?
    Even with the rapture I can’t get first chair. WTF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Resignation ‘21

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Feels like everyday I see a video of some entitled white guy freaking the fuck out over having to wear a mask on a plane. The industry needs to tell travelers in no uncertain terms that if they act up on a plane they will be banned from all airlines for the next 10 years and fucking do it. I am getting really tired of all the Covid Cunts out there making peoples jobs tougher than they need to be.
    Want to quit your job? We have all been there and it is the only way to get ahead.
    And that’s just because people have easy access to cameras. Everyday in damn near every customer facing service position some white person is getting out of hand. Fuck no, people don’t want to put up with it.

I don’t have a job where I have to deal with a lot of pissed off customers but there are a lot of morons out there and they’re multiplying. The mask/COVID shit is never ending and the other customers are more entitled than ever. We had a lady ask us to discount something because the supplier didn’t have them in stock. “No bitch, the factory in Italy is behind.” Not our fault and feel free to take your business elsewhere.

Here's a good conversation starter around the workplace coffee machine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blurp.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	389380

Happy to say we've lost a grand total of 3 folks in 10 years, not counting interns.

Turns out that if you pay well, reward performance, give solid benefits (thanks @Conundrum ), respect your employees and make sure work is fun at least some of the time, people stick around. Weird.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    You, too, can make up to $30k a year!
    Super hazzardous, back breaking work while incurring noise and air pollution!
    Tree climbers I know make 200k

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Happy to say we've lost a grand total of 3 folks in 10 years, not counting interns.

Turns out that if you pay well, reward performance, give solid benefits (thanks @Conundrum ), respect your employees and make sure work is fun at least some of the time, people stick around. Weird.
    You sound like a gosh darned communist!

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    And that’s just because people have easy access to cameras. Everyday in damn near every customer facing service position some white person is getting out of hand. Fuck no, people don’t want to put up with it.

I don’t have a job where I have to deal with a lot of pissed off customers but there are a lot of morons out there and they’re multiplying. The mask/COVID shit is never ending and the other customers are more entitled than ever. We had a lady ask us to discount something because the supplier didn’t have them in stock. “No bitch, the factory in Italy is behind.” Not our fault and feel free to take your business elsewhere.
    My wife works in membership at a very large and modern YMCA. Since covid/Trump/interwebs/rapture, people have gonna fucking crazy. Civility has gone out the door. Things people say or do would blow your mind. Entitled is just the start of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Actually, your $222 won't even get you tram access. Could be up to $300 a day if you want that. Seriously, I'm sure I don't need to tell you to ski somewhere else.
    Ugh. I read that a few days ago and couldn't remember the exact number. Even worse.

At least our senator is trying to squash that shit. https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/20...en-skiers.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

30+ people, 5 people left in 5 years. 3 of them I wanted to leave.

Let them resign, Flippy the robotic fry cook has it covered

https://youtu.be/vPTcIutsoTg

Name:  ewp0u2evp3u71.jpeg
Views: 792
Size:  54.3 KB

Maybe because over 3/4 of those deaths are over full retirement age. About 165k people under 65 but older than 18 have died. Tack on a couple hundred under 18 if you do desire.

Meanwhile 4 million have left the workforce entirely while still being perfectly alive. That’s a shitload of people to replace and it’s been a good opportunity for those still working to move on to better things. More people basically dropped out of the workforce last month alone than have died from COVID in almost 20 months total.

Anyone with a kid under 5 is particularly hard pressed to work right now. My daycare just sent a notice at 5pm on Sunday that they will be closed indefinitely starting tomorrow because 1 elementary school child, who does not attend the after school program they also provide, nor is related to anyone who does, contracted covid. After 18 months of this how many parents can just no show on a Monday because of that? The might open back up if contact tracing shows no other exposure in a couple days at best. That’s a problem no amount of govt intervention can fix.

Let alone finding daycare is like winning the lottery to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Anyone with a kid under 5 is particularly hard pressed to work right now. My daycare just sent a notice at 5pm on Sunday that they will be closed indefinitely starting tomorrow because 1 elementary school child, who does not attend the after school program they also provide, nor is related to anyone who does, contracted covid. After 18 months of this how many parents can just no show on a Monday because of that? The might open back up if contact tracing shows no other exposure in a couple days at best. That’s a problem no amount of govt intervention can fix.

Let alone finding daycare is like winning the lottery to begin with.
    This. I spend a shit ton of time getting Covid tests (bc every kid with the sniffles has to have a negative test before returning), asking for help…bc any kid that tests positive…even two classrooms over…shuts the school down, and asking to come in late/leave early b/c before/aftercare is sporadic.

I have mouths to feed and bills to pay…otherwise, checking out and being a stay at home parent is a very attractive proposition right now.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post

Was trying to pick up a pizza the other day and some douchebag (white guy, but they all are around here) was freaking the fuck out because they were slow and understaffed and obviously poorly trained, though as far as I could tell the pizzas themselves were up to spec. And I’m like…. Dude….. I’d like to maybe have the option to get a pizza here next week too. Make another one of these poor kids quit here and it might be digiorno for us for the foreseeable future.

Lots of weird paradigm shifts out there. So far, we are just seeing normal turnover, though.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Was trying to pick up a pizza the other day and some douchebag (white guy, but they all are around here) was freaking the fuck out because they were slow and understaffed and obviously poorly trained, though as far as I could tell the pizzas themselves were up to spec. And I’m like…. Dude….. I’d like to maybe have the option to get a pizza here next week too. Make another one of these poor kids quit here and it might be digiorno for us for the foreseeable future.

Lots of weird paradigm shifts out there. So far, we are just seeing normal turnover, though.
    Incredible…my wife had that same story last week.

Domino’s (locally) is a total shitshow right now, I feel so bad for the remaining employees.

On the other hand, a few years ago I considered delivery driving and the help wanted ad contained such a shitty attitude from ownership/mgmt that I didn’t even bother, so that may be part if the problem. Ad was like “Pizza delivery: a stoner slob in a ratty car right? NOT HERE! We don’t accept rusty dented cars, we don’t accept slobs, so if you’re not ready to meet our high standards, MOVE ALONG” …I probably could have been fine with the hyundai and whatever, but really that ad just told me whoever wrote it is a dick…and now here they are unable to fill jobs. Surprise!
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 10-18-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I saw and interview with a Kroeger exec talking about the reluctance of the company to give front line workers hazard pay. The interviewer mentioned that Kroeger Inc was reporting record profits. The exec's reply was while the company is very profitable now in investing their capital, the stores were working on razor thin margins. My thought was....

Attachment 389305
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Unfortunately capital doesn't include people. Most companies, i.e., the executives view labor as a cost/liability on the balance sheet.
    Thinking about this a little bit. Say what you want, but it’s very much a cost, and if your business operations aren’t operating in the black you aren’t going to be able to offer long term stability to your staff, even if your non-op activities are bringing in a nice boost. I wonder how much each store is weighed down by allocated overhead….

I’m not aware that Kroger is a terrible grocery store employer, compared to others. Are they? I used to work for them back in the day as a cart boy/bagger. Lots of cute cashiers. Wasn’t a terrible job at all, but I have no experience relying on them to sustain a standard of living, especially if ample flirting opportunities wasn’t factored in as really significant.

I’d advocate for controlling and distributing exec pay among workforce before I’d seriously suggest they should turn their business operation upside down by overpricing their labor pool with excess capital distributions. Hard/impossible to take that shit away later.

Also, one of the problems is that actually, labor isn’t on the balance sheet at all. And it probably should be.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 10-18-2021 at 07:23 AM.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Or retiring a bit earlier than they had been planning.

I ended up retiring early, partly because of Covid, partly because of personal health reasons, and largely because of a system that treats labor like shit.

Financially = I would be better off if I went back to work.

Emotionally = No way am I going back to work.

Bottom line = I’m doing fine financially so why not enjoy life .

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Financially = I would be better off if I went back to work.

Emotionally = No way am I going back to work.

Bottom line = I’m doing fine financially so why not enjoy life .

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Right there with you buddy. Now that the refi boom is done I am just putting along doing a loan here and there for some pocket change. No way I could get out there and beg agents for referrals ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.