Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    People are tribal. The more settled things are, the bigger the tribes can be. The churn comes, and the tribes get small again. - Amos Burton

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Ask Mitch Mcconnell (or Kevin Mccarthy or John Boehner or Newt Gingrinch, etc) about the all-or-nothing intentional intractability of the modern GOP.

While the Democrats haven't done themselves any favors, the scale of impact that the GOP bloc solidarity strategy has had outweighs any other current criticism leveled against the government. They have weaponized partisanship [and also complained that partisanship is ruining politics].

It's garnered them out-sized power, so I guess that works for them anyway...
    If that’s truly what you think you’re part of the problem

"You don't like me because I'm just moved to town and I'm a wealthy part-time resident"

"No, I don't like you because you are a fucking asshole!"

I'll judge the shit outta people based on their actions.

Generally unfriends, don't wave, drive too fast, don't introduce yourself to the neighbors: Asshole

Bitch about everything but unwilling to volunteer for HOAs, water districts, school districts. Won't even attend the meetings via Zoom: Asshole

Send terse emails about unwilling to have in person or phone conversation: Asshole

But most pertinent to this thread...unwilling to even have a conversation about paying a living wage to the providers of the services you consume: Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Are we supposed to be mad at WFHers or boomer retirees after reading?
    You're supposed to be mad at everyone, yet do nothing but complain.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    My only showstopper when it comes to buying a home/property is having to join a HOA. No thanks.
    It depends. My house belongs to one of the largest HOA's in the country (Tahoe Donner). For the most part it's awesome, probably because of the scale. But most are not like that, I realize.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It depends. My house belongs to one of the largest HOA's in the country (Tahoe Donner). For the most part it's awesome, probably because of the scale. But most are not like that, I realize.
    It would be nice to have a pool that other folks maintain.. But if that means I can't have a basketball hoop on my garage if I'd rather then I'm out. Local laws are enough regulation for me and our neighbors to get along just fine..

As for folks quitting. I just finished another round of interview training to get certified for panel interviewer participation with the higher ups. It also helps me interview better should I decide to test waters elsewhere. But, it's a sign that higher ups are panicking about filling seats as things ramp up and the supply chains get moving again..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    If that’s truly what you think you’re part of the problem
    classic defense, bravo, untouchable

you don't counter, however, with your opinion on what the problem may be

so, for the moment, touché & self-own...all at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Perhaps I'm mis-reading, but to assume that only one party is weaponizing partisanship is foolish. They both do it and that wedge - whatever it is - is hammered in by both sides and used according to what suits their needs.
    please note that pesky phrase: "While the Democrats haven't done themselves any favors,"
    & the start of the next: "the scale of impact"

I'm not pretending Dems are innocent. But I am pointing directly at a very intentional and openly discussed OBSTRUCTIONIST policy towards the other party.

It has manifested in uniquely unseen-to-date un-American attempts at zero comity: stiffing a Supreme court appointment, for instance.

Just opposing a policy item is normal; changing the norms around allowing policy processes to proceed is different and new; and has been initiated by the GOP as a platform strategy.

Another example: using the THREAT of a philibuster to kill even allowing a bill to the floor for debate

"The Party of No"

This thread is way in the weeds, but one political party attempted to make affordable healthcare coverage available to middle and lower income people, and the other said no. One advocates raising the minimum wage, the other is strongly against. One wants at least some amount of equalization through the tax code, the other doesn't. I could go on...

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    But most pertinent to this thread...unwilling to even have a conversation about paying a living wage to the providers of the services you consume: Asshole
    OK, but driving it back to the political partitioning, when was the last time Republicans worried about a living wage?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    And often part of the fabric of the community or in the case of coastal Maine part of the identity of the whole friggin state bub

If they don't like the sound of diesel lobster boats firing up at 3am they shouldn't have bought a house within earshot of the sound of their $30 lobster roll being harvested. Maybe a lake house would be better
    The other side of that is a lot of these guys do fucked-up shit and don't want people complaining because "they've always done it like this". There's a commercial fishing pier at the end of my street. I get along fine with the guys but people get pissed if they're pumping oily bilge water in the harbor or leaving barrels of bait to rot on the dock for weeks or blasting up the road at 50 mph in a 25 zone blasting shitty tunes out the open windows of their trucks at 3 AM.

There's antagonism towards them in the neighborhood that as far as I can tell is almost entirely the result of the fucked-up shit they do but the fellas blame the people complaining about it and just double down with the bullshit. Somethng's gonna happen that they don't like if they don't wise up a little. I'm definitely not the person who's gonna fuck with their gig but I hear people talking.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Mountains, skiing, mountain biking, fishing, whitewater, breweries... it's pretty much got it all.
    Except PoC.

You can get mad at us retirees for lobbying for and voting for our own interests, but if everyone did that we'd all be better off. Instead people get hung up on the wedge issues that politicians use to blind people to their own interests.
    Why do working people vote for politicians who won't raise the minimum wage? (Partly because of they buy the repeatedly disproven lie that raising the minimum wage kills jobs.) Why do they vote for politicians who won't tax the wealthy because that would supposedly kill jobs (lie) and who claim that corporate tax cuts will raise everyone's wages--when all that happens are stock buybacks? If the American working class would put minimum effort into educating itself maybe they'd stop getting screwed.

Haven't read this whole thread and fuck this page is droning on like I thought it would.

Anyway, my observation is that many of these business models are so entrenched and reliant on underpaying, treating people like garbage, and churning workers that they absolutely refuse to change. Instead they just close their doors and wait for business conditions to improve to the point that their model will work again. They have the capitol to do this. So insulated by their billionaire backers they refuse to up the bid for help or treat their workers as if they need them. They open for fewer hours with limited services with the labor they can still find. Workers who consent to this for whatever reason are left with nothing but a paycheck that is being hammered by inflation. The economy suffers. But the rich guys are playing the long game. And the workers who don't consent jump on short term signing bonuses, or if they are lucky to a smaller business owner who can't afford not to be open because they are actually subject to the whims of the market.

Like a game of chicken the big guys are just waiting to pounce. Hoping their competition blinks first and becomes uncompetitive. Apparently wage theft is the only game these hacks learn when they get their prized 'MBA's'.

You can get mad at us retirees for lobbying for and voting for our own interests
    Yeah, actually I can. This is the whole plate of nachos. Sometimes we all need to consider the big picture and the greater good. That's kinda the whole system we've been trying here in 'Merica. Attitudes like this are why we are failing. Nobody thinks they got anything to give.

This is interesting:

The geography of the Great Resignation: First-time data shows where Americans are quitting the most

Kentucky, Idaho, South Dakota and Iowa reported the highest increases in the rates of workers who quit their jobs in August, according to a new glimpse of quit rates in the labor market released Friday.

The largest increase in the number of quitters happened in Georgia, with 35,000 more people leaving their jobs. Overall, the states with the highest rates of workers quitting their jobs were Georgia, Kentucky and Idaho.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...urnvoer-jolts/

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    . Nobody thinks they got anything to give.
    We do, we did : made the ltr apartment in the house. Doors being put in now.

With complicated family issues, we haven't spent as much time there as we wanted. MIL broke her back 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    please note that pesky phrase: "While the Democrats haven't done themselves any favors,"
    & the start of the next: "the scale of impact"

I'm not pretending Dems are innocent. But I am pointing directly at a very intentional and openly discussed OBSTRUCTIONIST policy towards the other party.

It has manifested in uniquely unseen-to-date un-American attempts at zero comity: stiffing a Supreme court appointment, for instance.

Just opposing a policy item is normal; changing the norms around allowing policy processes to proceed is different and new; and has been initiated by the GOP as a platform strategy.

Another example: using the THREAT of a philibuster to kill even allowing a bill to the floor for debate
    Don't forget going nuclear when the GOP barely had a straight majority.. And if Pelosi and Schumer opt to change the rules again assuming those two flakes in AZ and WV play along wait for the outraged hypocrisy.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    We do, we did : made the ltr apartment in the house. Doors being put in now.
    No shit? That's rad. LMK if you need a renter ... realize i'm not the one who needs it. Seriously good on ya.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    No shit? That's rad. LMK if you need a renter ... realize i'm not the one who needs it. Seriously good on ya.
    Yup, there's been a shortage of housing, so we partitioned ours. It's already taken by local workers.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    And often part of the fabric of the community or in the case of coastal Maine part of the identity of the whole friggin state bub

If they don't like the sound of diesel lobster boats firing up at 3am they shouldn't have bought a house within earshot of the sound of their $30 lobster roll being harvested. Maybe a lake house would be better
    times change and cannery row becomes a mall. That’s life.

Back to the original topic, sectors with the highest quits were warehouse, retail, low end healthcare, i.e. shit jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    "The Party of No"

This thread is way in the weeds, but one political party attempted to make affordable healthcare coverage available to middle and lower income people, and the other said no. One advocates raising the minimum wage, the other is strongly against. One wants at least some amount of equalization through the tax code, the other doesn't. I could go on...
    Yup, that has become a huge problem for me with anyone identifying as a GOP cunt, they support the party of "NO" and are obstructionists. I am so sick of their shit I almost freak the fuck out if anyone starts with a GOP talking point (talk about triggered).
    Gone are the days of being friendly with known Dump supporters. Those fucks are dead to me. I guess I am a part of the problem, but I have had enough and I will not take it anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I guess I am a part of the problem, but I have had enough and I will not take it anymore.
    this is the modern problem: at some point, the BS has to be called out, but you can't do it without wading in

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    ...my observation...
    Quote edited to save scrolling-- Yeah, that's about it. The robber barons never really went away, and the American worker has been brainwashed to think that they're better off without unionization.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Quote edited to save scrolling-- Yeah, that's about it. The robber barons never really went away, and the American worker has been brainwashed to think that they're better off without unionization.
    Yep. I don't want to/can't get into details but I really am watching this happen on the daily right now. It is stunning. Hundreds of thousands of dollars going into capitol improvements while they refuse to retain staff to operate their existing business.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk