Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Im not sure you grasp this, but hiring a boat anchor of an employee does not ease the circumstances that created the desperate need to hire. In most cases it worsens them.
    no, I can’t appreciate nearly how special you are snowflake.

hire the boat anchor, fire the boat anchor quick. It’s what desperate employers do.

Im a millennial. I paid for college with some loans but mostly scholarships, many i didnt qualify for.
    did you major in self-congratulation, or was that a certificate you got in a correspondence course?

"You went to the finest schools all right . . . but you know you only used to get juiced in it."

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Those of us who spent our early years skiing 200 vertical foot ice lumps in the midwest might differ.

I concede my parents chipped in around $9k for my college expenses, but papa was a physics professor.
    Buck Hill Freestyle Team here.. Having night skiing 10 minutes from my home from 2nd grade through high school AND THE MEANS TO GO GET IT PRETTY MUCH EVERY NIGHT AND WEEKEND was HUGE. Getting to take that experience West and then East to play on bigger vert was just icing on the already well baked (pun intended) cake.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Following up about how hard it can be to land a job thanks to online applications, this explains it a bit better than I could:
    Why everybody’s hiring but nobody’s getting hired - America’s broken hiring system, explained.
    https://www.vox.com/recode/22673353/...deed-algorithm

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Recode
    Hiring lacks a human touch — sometimes literally: As much as employers say they’re looking hard for employees, they’re often not looking in the right places or in the right ways. HR departments are leaning too heavily on technology to weed out candidates, or they’re just not being creative enough in terms of how they consider applications and what types of people could be the right fit.

Hiring software and the proliferation of platforms like Indeed, LinkedIn, and ZipRecruiter have made it super easy for employers to list countless positions and for jobseekers to send in countless résumés. The problem is, they’ve also made it super easy for those résumés to never be seen. Artificial intelligence-powered software scans résumés for certain keywords and criteria. If it can’t find them, the software just filters those people out. “We think that we made it easier 20-something years ago when Monster started posting jobs. It makes it easier for the employer, it doesn’t make it easier for the job seeker,” said J.T. O’Donnell, the founder and CEO of career coaching platform Work It Daily, who runs a popular TikTok account with work advice. “You’re not getting rejected, you’re just never getting past the technology.”
    Sometimes, what the software is scanning for doesn’t even make sense — as the Wall Street Journal recently noted, it will look for registered nurses who also know computer programming when really they just need data entry. “Applicants think they’re talking to another human being when they write a description of their experiences,” Fuller said. “If they start explaining something at length or describe it the way they imagined it that doesn’t fit with what the system is trawling for, you have a possibility for a disconnect, literally because of word choice.”

Making things worse, companies have the tendency to add to job descriptions rather than subtract from them, meaning job requirements have ballooned beyond people’s ability to actually meet them. The increasingly AI-focused application process makes it even harder for applicants to be assessed by a human being. According to Glassdoor, the average number of applications for a job at a publicly traded company is about 250; the average number of people interviewed is five. There’s a lack of imagination on the employer side. They assume that what people are doing is what they are qualified for, even if that current job is unsuitable for them. Say a person is working part time as a shift manager but wants to be a full-time sales manager — doing the first job might harm their chances of getting that other job.

“What they’re doing is building a résumé that says to the next hirer, ‘This person is a shift manager, that’s what they do. We’re looking for a sales manager, why would we hire them?’” Fuller said. This system is also not good at understanding what a person might have the potential to do. Fuller gave the example of a former Army Corps of Engineers employee applying for a job as a cable technician, which increasingly requires workers to not only hook up people’s cable but also to upsell them on cable packages. While the engineer would be perfectly capable of doing the technical part of the job, if she didn’t have sales experience, she might be overlooked, even if she’d actually make a good saleswoman as well.
    The endless quest to make hiring efficient has rendered it inefficient. Candidates who are great fits for 90 percent of the job are screened out because they’re not perfect for the other 10 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    no, I can’t appreciate nearly how special you are snowflake.

hire the boat anchor, fire the boat anchor quick. It’s what desperate employers do.
    Your wife appreciated how special i was last night, ask her for tips?

it costs a shitload to hire, onboard, and then train up a new employee... and then have them produce crap work that loses customers and be forced to fire them quickly is a big hit to our bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    did you major in self-congratulation, or was that a certificate you got in a correspondence course?

"You went to the finest schools all right . . . but you know you only used to get juiced in it."
    Unsure. Tell me more about your experience with correspondence courses and self congratulatory certificates.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Buck Hill Freestyle Team here.. Having night skiing 10 minutes from my home from 2nd grade through high school AND THE MEANS TO GO GET IT PRETTY MUCH EVERY NIGHT AND WEEKEND was HUGE. Getting to take that experience West and then East to play on bigger vert was just icing on the already well baked (pun intended) cake.
    Glen Lake there, skied every day in the backyard from age 3 to 10. Then moved to a more urban area that required a 25 minute drive, ski bus, etc. Paid for by mowing lawns.
    Point being, it wasn't expensive to ski in the midwest in the 60s and 70s.

I was the 1973 Midwestern Freestyle Champion (Indianhead, UP MI).
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I realize that I had a step up being born white and being born when I was, that doesn’t change the fact that I made good choices based on my priorities. I realized at an early age that leisure time was more important to me than money or status.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I worked hard, made good choices, and thank the stars every day that I was born who I was where I was when I was. I could have been born sexier, not that I'm complaining.

Your wife appreciated how special i was last night, ask her for tips?.
    the neighbors cow is only jokingly my wife, but it’s sconnie so keep fucking livestock.

given the room temp iq you display, maybe the cost is a variable?

Everyone more successful had it fall in their lap and everyone less successful is lazy.

“Even though I wasn’t born a poor black child, I had to work so hard that ants would have passed out, and I had to walk 5 miles to the job and it was uphill both ways. All I had for lunch was gravel, cold at that. But I persevered, and I still got 120 days of skiing a year, and I have more money than Jake Burton.”
    - the TRG

It's not the same thing to have found that fortune in your 30s. If you truly earned it through hard work you didn't have time to ski 100 day seasons in your teens or early 20s.
    I guess not everybody paid their own tuition at a state school by ski patrolling nights at a non-profit hill that was open 10-10 everyday for the season and skied on the free pass on days off from classes, wrenching bikes and tuning skis in the shop. Maybe it only counts if it's fancy liberal arts or ivy league and that 100 days is at a "Top 100 US resorts list" hill. I really wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    “Even though I wasn’t born a poor black child, I had to work so hard that ants would have passed out, and I had to walk 5 miles to the job and it was uphill both ways. All I had for lunch was gravel, cold at that. But I persevered, and I still got 120 days of skiing a year, and I have more money than Jake Burton.”
    - the TRG
    You had gravel? You were lucky.
    I had to go find my own big rock and break it into gravel myself

Its also hard to explain hard ass work to a lot of people.
    Oh, that's easy. If you don't fucking slave for the man, you live on the fucking street. You fall over the fucking edge. No bail money. Freeze your ass off. Fight off the savages you've been cast off into. They (a lot of people) know that a shit ton better than 90% here. For fucks sake.

I plan to ski 100+ days this season to make up for the self-induced suffering I endured last year thanks to covid. I've made the sacrifices to make it work. Trying to make the best of times in my 40s, even though it's also been the worst of times. Not getting any younger. #yolo

I just told my boss I want to give 10% raises to a bunch of my Jr staff members because I’d have to pay 15-20% more for a replacement. Worse I can’t afford to lose them because we are at max capacity.

Promotion is typically a 15-20% bump, this is not for a promotion just a good job bump. It didn’t go over well but he didn’t say no. Any time in the last 5 years I’d of been laughed out of the room for asking that.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Thank Burton for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m not a REALLY good skier but I’ve been skiing 50-100+ day seasons since I was 35, 53 now. I’ve been gainfully employed with no financial assistance from anyone since I graduated high school. Lots of people do this without generational wealth. It’s about priorities and sacrifices if you want to do it.

My answer to that is, well, anybody who says that is a primarily three to four run skier at the reasonably close mountain, or, a bullshitter, of which there are a lot in day counts, and, you obviously do not work very hard in the winter, and, on top of that, have no clue about what it means to grind through a 50-60 hour hard working job, that, yes, even Zuckerberg experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    A worker in Florida applied to 60 entry-level jobs in September and got one interview
    https://www.businessinsider.com/work...ortage-2021-10

This was very much my experience too some time ago when trying to get ANY job. WTF is going on with these companies? If they're SOOOOO desperate for workers and all have "now hiring" signs, then why is so tough to get an interview? It's kind of strange. Are they still trying to milk Federal handouts saying they're still being impacted by COVID or what? Almost seems intentional. Also annoying is that gone are the days when you could simply walk into a business, ask to talk to a manger, shake some hands, and often walk out with a new job. Now you go in and you're told "You'll need to apply online." And THAT'S where I think most applications get auto-filtered out by bots, never to be seen by human eyes. Perhaps that's where the root of the problem lies with all of these so-called "worker shortages." I'm not buying it that everyone's living on the government dime these days. It's just not enough to live on in the long run. Most people still need jobs, and I'm willing to bet there's a ton of people actively searching dealing with the same trouble finding work as the person in that Business Insider article.

Yet another challenge that the younger generations are having to deal with on top of everything else.
    Dude, nobody is hiring Florida Man. Even now.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I just told my boss I want to give 10% raises to a bunch of my Jr staff members because I’d have to pay 15-20% more for a replacement. Worse I can’t afford to lose them because we are at max capacity.

Promotion is typically a 15-20% bump, this is not for a promotion just a good job bump. It didn’t go over well but he didn’t say no. Any time in the last 5 years I’d of been laughed out of the room for asking that.

Good on ya for going to bat for your junior members.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    My answer to that is, well, anybody who says that is a primarily three to four run skier at the reasonably close mountain, or, a bullshitter, of which there are a lot in day counts, and, you obviously do not work very hard in the winter, and, on top of that, have no clue about what it means to grind through a 50-60 hour hard working job, that, yes, even Zuckerberg experiences.
    So what you are saying is numbers are important and you’ve never had a 50+ day season?

No. And I've had an eighty day season. But I'm not sure what that means. Mainly it says I had a lot of free midweek time at one point in a compressed three day 12 hour shift life.

It's not the same thing to have found that fortune in your 30s. If you truly earned it through hard work you didn't have time to ski 100 day seasons in your teens or early 20s. But, ya, nothing wrong with folks like my wife who left home at age 18 with NOTHING and found a way to get college grants and worked three part time jobs taking 7 years to complete a 4 year degree 100% on her own. That's why she's NOT a fantastic skier though... To be that you really need a lot of free time and a good financial situation in your teens and early 20s.. Ya, you can get out a few weeks a year and get "pretty good" with a great situation later in life, but at your best, you wouldn't have beaten me down a bump run when I was 20..
    ah yeah sure bro
    skiied my dick off in my 20s lived in a tents cabins that I was next in line for no rent roomate hell
    but now as bunny knows I'm just a washed up old fucker with a drug and alcohol problem and my body doesn't work anymore and I'm falling apart
    it sure was hell was fun getting there my youth was s o glamerious

Three to four run a day guy or bullshitter?

Who's really counting?

With an 80 day season under your belt, you?

Solid days, too. None of this three to four run jive.