Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Seems like that’s worth a try.
    Trickle up economics. Trickle down didn't work.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just talking about this last night. Women staying home with the kids.

Are Americans starting to embrace one-earner households again?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...seholds-again/
    We did this about 6 years ago. Was driven at the time by my daughter having major surgery that required a long recovery/care. The financial hit from my wife leaving a tech job sucked but we've managed. Been really nice having her take care of house crap and not having to find daycare in the summer. Not pushing her hard to go back to the grind quite yet, but it's a great time to jump back in.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Obviously you hate "Murika! bla bla bla Venezuela bla bla bla
    Obviously he's a poor who never made any money and that's the only reason he supports taxing the rich. Because we all know that NOBODY who makes any money would ever be for increased taxes. It's just science.

A good friend of mine from high school did a family break. He and his wife quit their jobs and did the entire summer with the kids traveling and hitting national parks. Said it was great but they paid big when they couldn't get their jobs back in the fall. he is an engineer and ended up selling appliances at Home Depot. His wife left him. Took him another two years to finally get back in to a decent engineering gig. He's barely hanging on to that though because he keeps doing the same YOLO stuff instead of being a slave to his employer like the rest of us are..

Full disclosure, wish I had the balls to do what he does... But, my kids have college money and his don't..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The Great Resignation ‘21

Full disclosure, wish I had the balls to do what he does... But, my kids have college money and his don't..
    Yeah you wish you had the balls alright. Lol “my kids have college money and his don’t”

Cheesus I feel bad for all the chumps out there busting their ass until they’re 65+ so they can finally “retire” and have their kids be well heeled with “college money”. Gawd what a travesty.

No personal offense intended of course.

Mt lawyer tells me # 1 reason for divorce is money problems

I think about all the must-have shit people have now days compared to back in the day and it seems like a lot of extra's we take for granted, in 2021 what family of 5 lives in a 1200 sq' house drivivng a sucession of well used cars and has a phone with a dial ?

i don't get "college money " I defintley didnt get any and I didnt give any, I see kids who get college money just work less while their parent works more, why can't a kid work for it ?

And they will if they wana go to school
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A good friend of mine from high school did a family break. He and his wife quit their jobs and did the entire summer with the kids traveling and hitting national parks. Said it was great but they paid big when they couldn't get their jobs back in the fall. he is an engineer and ended up selling appliances at Home Depot. His wife left him. Took him another two years to finally get back in to a decent engineering gig. He's barely hanging on to that though because he keeps doing the same YOLO stuff instead of being a slave to his employer like the rest of us are..

That's the kinda shit you're supposed to do in your 20's BEFORE kids.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i don't get "college money " I defintley didnt get any and I didnt give any, I see kids who get college money just work less while their parent works more, why can't a kid work for it ?
    You do understand that the cost of college is like 10-15 X what it was 20 years ago, right?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Yeah I see a few squandered chances , let off on the gas and the chance is gone take RE right now, if you didnt get in yer probably facked if you wanted to own a house

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You do understand that the cost of college is like 10-15 X what it was 20 years ago, right?
    sure but what are the kiddo's doing while the parents are working ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sure but what are the kiddo's doing while the parents are working ?
    I have no idea wtf you mean by this.

But you're significantly out of touch with problems of current families if you think working on the side to pay for a college education is possible. I worked 20hr per week all through undergrad on work study about 15 years. But the financial barriers current students face are much, much higher. Not comparable.

On topic and really interesting if you have an hour to kill.

Jon Talks With Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan Chase
    https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...AAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

If you could get a part time job that could pay for a good college, well, damn, you would be making more than when you graduated, for most kids.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

YMMV, but I'd say my biggest regret of undergrad was working too much, as I split time between social work, catering and Amazon sales.
    It helped with the monthly bills, but it didn't dent the cost of education, and looking back, I wish I spent those 4 years sprucing up my degree with a second language, more focused internship experience, etc.
    College has a ROI, and you can absolutely shrink it if you're spending too much of your time washing dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Yup, even at $15/hr you are only going to come up with ~50% of the cost (pretax) working 20 hr/wk, 52 weeks/ yr at in state colleges in my state.
    For example, Syracuse University costs $71,00 per SEMESTER including room and board. So, basically, $150,000 for a year at school. What part time job is going to pay for that?
    Yes, there are scholarships for some students, but not all. And that’s not a particularly expensive school.
    Maybe you are thinking of community college/trade schools?
    (I just chose SU as an average school)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

This trucker perfectly describes a MAJOR part of the situation at hand:

A 20-year truck-driving veteran explains why the solution to the supply-chain crisis is in sight but greed is getting in the way
    https://news.yahoo.com/20-truck-driv...ycsrp_catchall

The huge trucking firms that have cannibalized and monopolized the industry HARD over the last couple decades is still raking it in and is unwilling to pay drivers worth a damn. Looking at you, Swift! Those guys are dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    For example, Syracuse University costs $71,00 per SEMESTER including room and board. So, basically, $150,000 for a year at school. What part time job is going to pay for that?
    Yes, there are scholarships for some students, but not all. And that’s not a particularly expensive school.
    Maybe you are thinking of community college/trade schools?
    (I just chose SU as an average school)
    In state tuition at Weber State is $3000 per semester. A room off campus, but walking distance is $500 a month, utilities included. That is part time job reachable.

Jesus, leave it to the dentists at TGR.
    "Well the average V8 euro diesel wagon costs 100k! Maybe you are thinking or a Honda or something? (I chose a Mercedes S class as an average.)"

So at $15/hr it would take 20 full time weeks of work to pay for a year of tuition/room and no board. Sounds fair.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Economy Added Significantly More Jobs Over the Summer than Initially Reported:
    https://www.newsandguts.com/economy-...ally-reported/

The revisions have recast the narrative of a summer slowdown. In August, when economists expected a strong follow-up to the 943,000 jobs the economy added in July, the BLS announced the U.S. added only 235,000 jobs. Headlines dubbed it a “colossal miss” as job growth took a “giant step back.” Two months later, revisions based on additional data showed August jobs grew by 483,000, more than double the anemic original reading. It was the biggest positive revision in almost four decades.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    But you're significantly out of touch with problems
    XXXer is significantly out of touch with literally everything.

How many Ogdens is moving to Ogden so that your kids can get cheapish tuition?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    How many Ogdens is moving to Ogden so that your kids can get cheapish tuition?
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure my kids will be able to afford to live in Ogden as adults anymore. They may have to move to Virginia or something

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    XXXer is significantly out of touch with literally everything.
    For realz. Homey be like "Work? What's that?!" He's literally said as much time and time again. Guy must've married, inherited, or invested really well.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure my kids will be able to afford to live in Ogden as adults anymore. They may have to move to Virginia or something
    Ha! Touche. Good luck finding anything that cheap here, though. JMU is as average as they come and it's double that. There's always Liberty, I suppose (edit: nevermind, Liberty is outrageous).
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    For realz. Homey be like "Work? What's that?!" He's literally said as much time and time again. Guy must've married, inherited, or invested really well.
    Don't get him started. He retired from IBM at like 45 with a full pension and owns a house with a basement apartment and the renter covers the full mortgage. So he's got it made, and good for him, but just about everything he says about the current state of affairs sounds like he just woke up from a 50-year coma.