Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Back in the day college money was the main reason most enlisted in the military..

Doesn't work out too well anymore..

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/...eterans-096487
    Back in the day, way back, and the gov was giving my pop a full ride plus a living wage allowance on the G I Bill. And it seems to have been a good plan for the country.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Too bad you boomers have consistently voted to make it so college now costs a fortune.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Certainly doesn't help that govt funding for public universities has been cut a lot over the years. We boomers can take some of the credit for that but we had help. (In CA w pretty much did it on our own via Prop 13.) And that doesn't apply for private schools of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Back in the day college money was the main reason most enlisted in the military..

Doesn't work out too well anymore..

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/...eterans-096487
    I remember when that bill was being debated and the generals testified against it because it would hurt retention. Talk about cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I remember when that bill was being debated and the generals testified against it because it would hurt retention. Talk about cynical.
    Isn't that just being honest? Isn't the purpose of an economy to convince someone to get out there and work (or crawl in the mud and get shot, as the case may be)? If we all had what we need who would provide the goods and services that keep the ruling class in such a generous mood?

I dunno if this was supply chain or Great Resignation or what but I went to the auto body place today and they told me to try again in the spring. That's literally what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I dunno if this was supply chain or Great Resignation or what but I went to the auto body place today and they told me to try again in the spring. That's literally what they said.
    One of my friends manages an auto body shop. They are booking for the end of January now. We haven’t even had that first snow storm that usually fills the shop up. It’s a combo of supply and resignations. Some parts are taking a long time but the guys are also all moving around town getting a raise at each jump. Most shops are now offering referral bonuses and bonuses if you stay 6 months.

Is that when they decided to only offer it to white people?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

But the U.S. moves up one place when grants and tax credits are included. “Your grants are actually really generous compared to everybody else,” Usher says. Tuition is higher in the U.S., so the grants don’t fully cover the price, but 70 percent of full-time students do receive some kind of grant aid, according to the College Board. From this perspective, sometimes called “net cost,” Australia is more expensive than the U.S.

Next, looking only at our public colleges, the U.S. rises higher still, ranking in the middle of the pack in Usher’s analysis, above Canada and New Zealand. This data is from 2010, and things may look less rosy if he were to redo the study now, Usher cautions. But still, he sounds weirdly hopeful. “The public system in the U.S. is working as well as most systems,” he says. “Parts of the U.S. look like France.”

The problem, of course, is that other parts of the U.S. look more like a Louis Vuitton store. America basically contains 50 different higher-education systems, one per state, each with public, private, and for-profit institutions, making generalizations all but impossible. The U.S. does relatively well on measures of access to college, but the price varies wildly depending on the place and the person. Somehow, students have to find their way through this thicket of competition and choose wisely, or suffer the consequences.

The more i studied America’s baffling higher-education system, the more it reminded me of health care. In both spaces, Americans pay twice as much as people in other developed countries—and get very uneven results.
    . For example, U.S. colleges spend, relative to other countries, a startling amount of money on their nonteaching staff, according to the OECD data. Some of these people are librarians or career or mental-health counselors who directly benefit students, but many others do tangential jobs that may have more to do with attracting students than with learning. Many U.S. colleges employ armies of fund-raisers, athletic staff, lawyers, admissions and financial-aid officers, diversity-and-inclusion managers, building-operations and maintenance staff, security personnel, transportation workers, and food-service workers.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...merica/569884/

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...fGLQaKegQ&s=19

This is from a couple weeks ago but I keep revisiting. So on point.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

That’s pretty old, but yeah, on point.

I was at the DMV, pissed off lady asks the clerk for a complaint form. Clerk hands her a bunch, "here, give some to all your friends." (Good line, clerk was still an asshole, and no doubt the lady had good cause to be pissed off.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The “I want to talk to your mother” line is so good I almost wish I could be in a position to use it.

I was at the DMV, pissed off lady asks the clerk for a complaint form. Clerk hands her a bunch, "here, give some to all your friends." (Good line, clerk was still an asshole, and no doubt the lady had good cause to be pissed off.
    Here most of the DMV clerks are current or former highway patrol officers.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The “I want to talk to your mother” line is so good I almost wish I could be in a position to use it.
    https://youtu.be/WI1sTyaErW0

When I worked in retail as a store manager some Karen was pissed that a part time high school kid working for us didn't know everything in the Consumer Reports product guide she brought along to make a purchase decision. She was literally tapping her foot while telling me I should hire more qualified and knowledgeable staff. I reached in to the drawer under the register and handed her an application suggesting she apply or pass it on to anyone she knows who is available... She then asked for district manager contact information. I said "you're in luck, she's actually here today". DM was in the back room eating lunch. I went and got her.
    Karen goes through the entire episode of what happened, not even exaggerating and when she said "then HE handed me an application". The district manager totally busted out laughing in Karen's face. Karen then hit her on the shoulder with her rolled up Consumer Reports magazine and stormed out. Good times!

That is an epic retail moment, for sure!

In a similar vein, the local Ace has signs posted at the doors and at the registers, explains why they are closing at 5 instead of 6. They don’t have enough staff, and don’t want to burn out the staff they have. Apparently some Brad got in their face about it, yelling at a cashier girl, pissed that he couldn’t fix his shower curtain or whatever after 5.
    So the same thing, the posted signs say that applications are available if you care so deeply, “it would really help us out”.
    They have received no complaints since. (That I know of).
    Last edited by rideit; 12-12-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

When I get surveys about my customer experience these days I'm giving staff the benefit of the doubt--I was getting my snows put on the other day and it was obvious some of the folks hadn't worked their long, which is not their fault, and that they could use more help. (And according to something I read somewhere AT/Discount Tire is a good place to work). If I can't say something nice I don't say it. No bad Yelp reviews.

I didn't realize until lately that Yelp was a real thing and not some internet meme.

How real it is is open to question.

How real it is is open to question.
    As real as birds?

How many thousands are going to walk out on their jobs because they can't get paid for a few weeks? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdn...f-data-breach/

Not due to kronos but thats exactly whats happening already after a covid diagnosis for those of us that cant work remotely. Some companies are paying and some arent. Time to go shipping for those that are.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    How many thousands are going to walk out on their jobs because they can't get paid for a few weeks? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdn...f-data-breach/
    Kronos is timekeeping. Payroll systems are typically seperate. Most large Kronos instances do not contain a lot of PII or any payment mechanisms. It's a general data security strategy to keep the time tracking info which needs far more regular and extensive access silo'd from banking / SSN / etc you need to pay. And much large institutions have systems in place to work around timekeeping failure.

Source: I'm in one of the affected institutions. We'll get paid fine but it sucks for some staff that will have extra legwork.

We stopped at the Wendy’s in Fruita, and they have a sign that says “Work today, get paid tomorrow”. I don’t know if it is sorcery, but if you struggle getting paid on time, I would think that is the cure. And free frostys.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Kronos is timekeeping. Payroll systems are typically seperate. Most large Kronos instances do not contain a lot of PII or any payment mechanisms. It's a general data security strategy to keep the time tracking info which needs far more regular and extensive access silo'd from banking / SSN / etc you need to pay. And much large institutions have systems in place to work around timekeeping failure.

Source: I'm in one of the affected institutions. We'll get paid fine but it sucks for some staff that will have extra legwork.
    Yes, same here. We’re basing pay on 80 hours and settling up when things are fixed for hourly. Salaried are getting what they always get. Commissioned is a draw and not due for a true up for a month. Sorry HR/payroll folks, time to earn your keep and prove that you can’t be replaced by software.