Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1590
    Driving back from Reno, we went through an open (green light) lane at the agricultural inspection station. Instead of inspector in the booth there was a sign said "Hiring".

Can't vouch for veracity but...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBDs.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	401384

General Dynamics has been running a lot of help-wanted ads for their Electric Boat operations (sub building) on TV around here, it's about an hour away from here.

These are union trades jobs, they are basically the top of the heap for plumbers, electricians, steamfitters, carpenters, etc. etc. Top dollar, full benes, retirement, etc. etc. And they can't fill them.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    General Dynamics has been running a lot of help-wanted ads for their Electric Boat operations (sub building) on TV around here, it's about an hour away from here.

These are union trades jobs, they are basically the top of the heap for plumbers, electricians, steamfitters, carpenters, etc. etc. Top dollar, full benes, retirement, etc. etc. And they can't fill them.
    Dont all those people end up with mesothelioma?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Dont all those people end up with mesothelioma?
    No no no, they USED to end up with mesothelioma. Now they end up with something we don’t even know about yet.

I heard they got a big order from North Korea

Know anybody who's worked there? Lots of reasons they're not filling those.

Groton? Must be somewhere else. That can't be only an hour from you, can it?

Google says 1:18. Straight up 95 to Providence then east on 195 about 20-25 minutes

Heh! New construction is better than overhauling, but a tough working environment inside the hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Know anybody who's worked there? Lots of reasons they're not filling those.

Not that place, but knew of people that cut their teeth on the Portsmouth shipyard. It's steady work, but have you ever welded a mile in a day? It's just endless and monotonous, though an excellent way to go from zero to expert pipefitter/ironworker in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Not that place, but knew of people that cut their teeth on the Portsmouth shipyard. It's steady work, but have you ever welded a mile in a day? It's just endless and monotonous, though an excellent way to go from zero to expert pipefitter/ironworker in a few years.
    I had a Navy vet working for me at one point. Dude was a welder. He would weld all day long. I asked how much welding he thought he did, and he simply said hundreds and hundreds of miles.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Can't vouch for veracity but...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBDs.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	401384
    ILWU (International Longshore Workers Union) contract is up first week of July. They are notorious for working half as hard as they normally work in the months leading up to a contract getting signed. I expect them to pull the same crap this year. You will be able to read the tire sidewall on a yard hosteler or gantry crane, they will be going so slow. Then the massive backlog will require months and months of OT to dig through. And yes, they get their new contract rates backdated to when the last contract expired. So if they go from $100/hr to $110/hr but the contract doesn't get signed until September, they get it backdated to the new rate from July when the current contract expires. It truly is a nice gig if you can get it.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

They're one of the strongest unions around here too. They'll slow down to delay an offload so an extra shift has to get called in. That shift will have the remaining work done in an hour or two, then go home and get full pay.

Need to have a card carrying relative, or have a respected member recommend you to get a job. Set for life from there.

Piece in the NYT yesterday. Apparently the record resignations in late 2021 are a statistic that only goes back to Dec 2020--so the resignations are the highest in a year, not in a decade or a century. Resignations weren't counted between 1980 and Dec 2020 because the Labor Dept didn't have the money to do the survey. From 1930 to 1980 they did a very similar survey using slightly different methodology and compared to those numbers the "record" number of resignations now are actually very similar to resignations then. With the exception of WWII, when record numbers of men quit their jobs. I believe the Selective Service had something to do with that.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/26/o...signation.html

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    ILWU (International Longshore Workers Union) contract is up first week of July. They are notorious for working half as hard as they normally work in the months leading up to a contract getting signed. I expect them to pull the same crap this year. You will be able to read the tire sidewall on a yard hosteler or gantry crane, they will be going so slow. Then the massive backlog will require months and months of OT to dig through. And yes, they get their new contract rates backdated to when the last contract expired. So if they go from $100/hr to $110/hr but the contract doesn't get signed until September, they get it backdated to the new rate from July when the current contract expires. It truly is a nice gig if you can get it.
    You notice buddy san in the pict is wearing white gloves ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

A local high school with one of the largest endowments in the country is hiring new staff at $22/hr but when the current staff complain about making almost 25% less, they were told to pound sand........

Hope they all quit.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    A local high school with one of the largest endowments in the country is hiring new staff at $22/hr but when the current staff complain about making almost 25% less, they were told to pound sand........
    JHFC.

"Offer valid for new customers only."

Hope they all quit.

Me too...then we can start a thread next year complaining about how property taxes have gone up 25%...and we all would GLADLY pay more in taxes for schools if we knew the quality of teaching was really getting better.....

This school has about $500,000,000 in its endowment. A $5/hr raise may cost them an extra $1,000,000 a year. Suck it up.

This school has about $500,000,000 in its endowment. A $5/hr raise may cost them an extra $1,000,000 a year. Suck it up.

thats an investment fund with a loss making advertising business it calls a school

seems sort of self defeating too - great (popular) staff are often featured prominently in donation campaigns I receive pitches for.

Deerfield academy? That's a private school.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Deerfield academy? That's a private school.
    you know the school based on the stated size of the endowment?

and I thought the fact that there was an endowment pretty much meant private school.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy