Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    All the while thinking, I could have lived in real mountains with real snow.
    And for every year you wait, you'll only be one year more bitter when you do.

ha

I think of Benny as our own little Oscar the Grouch.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Yes, but in a frequently rinsed and sprayed Connecticut recycling bin instead of an old school NY trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    And his brain will be cured. Everyone's happy.
    Can we freeze it and put it next to Ted Williams’ behind the bar at Benny’s Hall of Very Good and PEDers in Cooperstown?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    And for every year you wait, you'll only be one year more bitter when you do.
    ha
    Double-ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Does that make Killington his trash can?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Does that make Killington his trash can?
    There's a little thriller at Alpental named Trash Can, one of the more navigable shots.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Benny plays this group constantly, it's funny, and I for one hope it continues indefinitely.
    Yeah, me too. It's amusing how tied up in knots people get over his schtick.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I am with Benny. 84 has a nice ring to it. Just hoping to stay fairly healthy with my marbles or it will happen sooner.
    Yeah - your tune will change dramatically, I'll wager, around age 83.

Did you ring? White courtesy phone is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    A good friend told me that also. Apparently his dad was in the hemlock society so as to do himself in, but when the time came he said, maybe next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    depends on your health.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    depends on your health.
    My buddy is being cremated today after a three year bout of cancer. I saw him a month ago for the first time since March of 2020 when lockdowns began, because, duh, he was about as immune compromised as someone can be. It was shocking how bad he looked when I last saw him, and he could barely walk. But he was still doing massive chemo and telling the world how he was going to win this fight. He called me just last week with some shopping requests for clothes and a coffee maker. This is after both of us watched a common friend go through the same struggle about ten years ago, and both of us sort of agreed that we wouldn't put ourselves through that misery.

Best advice I can give after watching those two go and another recently, is to never attempt a serious chemo regimen without some serious support at home. Two were alone. Any responsible doctor shouldn't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
    White courtesy phone
    Name:  thats-racist.gif
Views: 456
Size:  468.2 KB

My buddy is being cremated today after a three year bout of cancer. I saw him a month ago for the first time since March of 2020 when lockdowns began, because, duh, he was about as immune compromised as someone can be. It was shocking how bad he looked when I last saw him, and he could barely walk. But he was still doing massive chemo and telling the world how he was going to win this fight. He called me just last week with some shopping requests for clothes and a coffee maker. This is after both of us watched a common friend go through the same struggle about ten years ago, and both of us sort of agreed that we wouldn't put ourselves through that misery.

Best advice I can give after watching those two go and another recently, is to never attempt a serious chemo regimen without some serious support at home. Two were alone. Any responsible doctor shouldn't allow it.
    IME a lot of people go through non-beneficial chemo because their doctors are afraid to be honest with them about the expected benefit of the chemo and because they are afraid to tell them that there is nothing left to do that will significantly extend their life. Chemo is often explained in terms of "response", which means that the tumor shrinks on xray, but that doesn't always mean the person will live longer. Or they are told the chemo will extend their life, but not that the benefit will be a few months, which they will spend getting chemo. Even if the chemo doesn't extend life it may help relieve pain, although often radiation does that better and quicker if the site has not be irradiated previously. The main thing is for doctors to be open and honest about it. A lot of chemo is family driven rather than patient driven, although sounds like that was not the case with your friends.

I don't mean to imply that all chemo is useless. Much chemo works very well--like with Jimmy Carter. Every tumor, every drug is different.

This is after both of us watched a common friend go through the same struggle about ten years ago, and both of us sort of agreed that we wouldn't put ourselves through that misery.

Best advice I can give after watching those two go and another recently, is to never attempt a serious chemo regimen without some serious support at home.
    My brother's father-in-law was recently diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. He is 76. He said "fuck it, I've lived a good life, I'm not going through chemo." And he's not. Mad fucking respect for a damn good guy with a great family (and plenty of support at home either way).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    IME a lot of people go through non-beneficial chemo because their doctors are afraid to be honest with them about the expected benefit of the chemo and because they are afraid to tell them that there is nothing left to do that will significantly extend their life. Chemo is often explained in terms of "response", which means that the tumor shrinks on xray, but that doesn't always mean the person will live longer. Or they are told the chemo will extend their life, but not that the benefit will be a few months, which they will spend getting chemo. Even if the chemo doesn't extend life it may help relieve pain, although often radiation does that better and quicker if the site has not be irradiated previously. The main thing is for doctors to be open and honest about it. A lot of chemo is family driven rather than patient driven, although sounds like that was not the case with your friends.

I don't mean to imply that all chemo is useless. Much chemo works very well--like with Jimmy Carter. Every tumor, every drug is different.
    These days there a real chance that if you can hang on for a just few more months a new breakthrough therapy could come along that will cure you. Regardless, it's hard to fault people for not wanting to give up on life. Some time ago there was a TAL or Radiolab episode about a guy whose wife had ALS. Early on she was strongly opposed to a tracheotomy, but when the time came to die or get the trach she wanted the trach, just didn't want to give up. Best not to judge until you're the one facing the reaper.

eta: Though, obviously, doctors should be honest with patients and not give them false hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    These days there a real chance that if you can hang on for a just few more months a new breakthrough therapy could come along that will cure you. Regardless, it's hard to fault people for not wanting to give up on life. Some time ago there was a TAL or Radiolab episode about a guy whose wife had ALS. Early on she was strongly opposed to a tracheotomy, but when the time came to die or get the trach she wanted the trach, just didn't want to give up. Best not to judge until you're the one facing the reaper.

eta: Though, obviously, doctors should be honest with patients and not give them false hope.
    Breakthroughs don't come out of the clear blue. If there's a breakthrough imminent the drug is in Phase 3 trials. If the prospects for available treatment don't sound good ask the oncologist if there is anything promising in trials. If there is, ask if you can participate, although that would mean a fifty fifty chance of getting the new drug. Or ask if the trial may be close to results. Always worth getting another opinion, perhaps from a big university cancer. But hanging on for a sudden breakthrough is a fool's errand.

I would not presume to judge anyone who wants to give more treatment a shot no matter how unlikely it is to help. I am only judging doctors who aren't open and honest about it. And none of us know how we will react when the time comes. If, when the time comes you decide you aren't ready to die then by all means go for it. But please please don't make that decision for a loved one who has decided otherwise. If the person can't decide for aggressive treatment for themselves then please honor their prior wishes.

Looks like the topic has changed from the Great Resignation to the Greatest Resignation.

I duno whats wrong with me but Benny has never really bothered me or pushed any on my buttons
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I duno whats wrong with me but Benny has never really bothered me or pushed any on my buttons
    He takes a lot of (sometimes deserved) shit and keeps hanging around. Definitely not thin skinned. Seems to be open minded and responds to criticism positively..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    He takes a lot of (sometimes deserved) shit and keeps hanging around. Definitely not thin skinned. Seems to be open minded and responds to criticism positively..
    Some people take joy in argumentation.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I agree with him most of the time, hence why I get shit around here. Good news, I don't give 2 fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Some people take joy in argumentation.
    Fuck that. I take joy in puppies, kittens, large natural breasts, and never being wrong

Fuck that. I take joy in never being wrong
    No wonder you're so consistently miserable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15B520CC-097A-4661-86F4-66AF851D2FCE.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	391454
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident