Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1590
    I'm just sorry benny is such an asshole
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Is it time for some kumbaya around the fire and start sucking each other’s dicks?
    Knock off the sappy shit yo!
    Im good. You fellas can go ahead.

Ha! Norma Stitz

Sorry about your friend, Benny.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    What if Benny came here for abuse?
    Some people pay extra for the Dick's restaurant treatment.

7% of Californians are unemployed but 27% are "functionally" unemployed, meaning they work at or below the poverty line.
    https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/11...ly-unemployed/

Seeing comments lately on LinkedIn and NextDoor completely mirror my own experiences with job seeking in our modern era. All these companies whining about having a hard time filling positions are ALSO using web based hiring practices that filter out 99% of applicants without human eyes ever seeing an application. First off, it's a PITA to go through every company's own HR site. Sign up for an account. Give them all your personal information. Upload a resume, which seems pointless since it uses that to autofill fields that it ALWAYS botches entirely so you have to rework all of them. Answer a million questions. Lather, rinse, repeat for each position. Never get so much as an e-mail response rejecting you. Lucky if you ever score so much as a virtual interview these days. When it can take hours to check out a job, that you later find out offers shit pay for the field and experience required, or even entry level jobs, it's no wonder so many workers aren't playing any more.

I'm starting to wonder if a lot of these hiring sites are just data mining operations since you have to provide so much personal info, or companies are purposefully not filling positions they're supposedly hiring for, so that those sweet PPP loans can essentially become PPP grants. Even more likely, I'd say that companies have been enjoying being able to get away with a fraction the work force, expecting a shit ton more work out of each individual worker, and are hiring as slowly as possible to see how much they can keep squeezing out of their staff. Expectations have become entirely unreasonable for many jobs out there. And with runaway inflation, it's tough to justify doing the work of 4 people for essentially less pay than before.

Now, what I am starting to FINALLY see pop up at fast food places lately are banners saying "Come inside for open interviews!," skipping some of the virtual red tape hopefully. That's what more companies need to do if they really want to fill positions. Go back to the good old days of a handshake and a job offer. "Can you start today?" Until I start seeing more of that happen, I have a hard time believing all these companies are so hard up for people.

Side note: WTF is up with so many positions online saying things like "Seeking Senior XYZ. Requirements: XYZ bachelors degree + 4-5 years experience. JOB IS ENTRY LEVEL." SOooooo, it's entry level but also requires years of experience? Okey dokey, then. No wonder employers are having a "tough time." This is the kind of shit that people have had enough of.

Anyway, the whole "Great Resignation" debacle is definitely a multitude of factors. Yes, people are fed up with everything, but also employers aren't really doing much to help their own situations either or they'd be cutting all the virtual online hiring BS and actually calling applicants.

Shitty employers are doing shitty things and getting a media free ride for their bad faith bitching. Good employers are thriving. You can be perceived a good employer for shitty (Manual/retail) jobs and be doing well (I.e. Sam’s club who say they’ve been at full employment for months).

My favorite restaurants and delis seem to be a) places where everyone seems happy, and b) having no problem with staffing

HR is almost universally awful in my experience (sorry, HR people) and that goes back long before 2020. Someone I know had an interview set up for this week. Mid/senior level role. Company confirmed the interview an hour before via email and then no-showed with zero contact afterward.

Speaking from experience, the company I work for is actively looking to hire people. It is surprising how inept HR is these days. But we had to change our job descriptions and how we go looking for prospective candidates. Trial and error, but October was the best month for finding and hiring people in over a year. I just interviewed my 4th candidate last week, and I have two new employees working for me, that are turning out to be total rock stars. There are some very good candidates out there IME, and they all say the same thing. Better working environment, better pay, flexibility in work hours, which our company is going out of their way to accommodate, and work that is interesting and challenging. And that the work they do is appreciated and acknowledged. I am still in touch with most of my former work colleagues as I tend to build strong relationships with the people that work for me, and that I have worked for.

Good luck to anyone out there that is looking for a better work environment, pay, or whatever it is that you prioritize in a job.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    HR is almost universally awful in my experience (sorry, HR people) and that goes back long before 2020. Someone I know had an interview set up for this week. Mid/senior level role. Company confirmed the interview an hour before via email and then no-showed with zero contact afterward.
    Yeah, really the lamest suck ups in the corporate offices. Add the fact that a ton of HR departments have been outsourced over the last twenty years.

HR is almost universally awful in my experience (sorry, HR people) and that goes back long before 2020.
    SO true. Was bad pre-2020. Even worse now. Virtual hiring SUUUUUUUUUCKS. When I was hard up for work some time ago, I'd go into places with "Now Hiring! Apply today!" banners out front, would ask to speak to a manager like the good old days, they'd tell me I'd have to apply online. Would go through all that rigamarole, just to hear absolutely nothing. Even tried following up in person with said managers. They didn't seem to GAF. Those banners are still out front of these major chains nearly two years later. Screw 'em.

Wife got a flat on the way home from work last night. She called from a bank parking lot where she stopped. I picked her up, got some dinner, and called insurance company when we got home. Why crawl around on the ground when someone with a better jack can do it at no additional cost to me right?

Anyway, about two hours later we were waiting by the car moving the junk in the trunk to the back seat to access the spare. A 1990s rusty Ford Focus pulls up and my phone rings. It was the Mr Rescue/Jackrabbit/whatever USAA sent. 19 year old kid gets out and pulls a nice floor jack and 4 way lug wrench out of his trunk. He couldn't get the hubcap off. Acted like he'd never had to do that. He didn't even have a prybar or large screwdriver. I popped it off with my buck knife. Kid took proper care to make sure he was jacking car up by the frame and changed the tire for us. I thanked him and handed him a 20. Gotta start somewhere right? I have no idea how much entry level kids like that are getting paid, but I made sure he knew he was appreciated.

Anyway, no doubt anyone with a vehicle and a floor jack can get that line of work right now.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    SO true. Was bad pre-2020. Even worse now. Virtual hiring SUUUUUUUUUCKS. When I was hard up for work some time ago, I'd go into places with "Now Hiring! Apply today!" banners out front, would ask to speak to a manager like the good old days, they'd tell me I'd have to apply online. Would go through all that rigamarole, just to hear absolutely nothing. Even tried following up in person with said managers. They didn't seem to GAF. Those banners are still out front of these major chains nearly two years later. Screw 'em.
    those banners are general corporate advertising. So is “the new $/hr wage hike” policy.

RE: Trucker shortage - Don't know if anybody's been following that, but I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for a good trucking position to put my CDL to use. Every posting I've been seeing requires years of experience and the pay's universally terrible. You used to be able to actually pull pretty good money in that field. Especially for overnight work. Not any more. Add in inflation and crazy workloads, and it's just not appealing anymore. I'm still open to it, but the pay's gotta be worth it.

Amazon's a great example of much of the working world today. Tell their drivers they have to hit some CRAAAAZY delivery requirements, but also gonna put cameras on them in the cab, GPS tracking, etc., to make sure they don't have any safety violations, not enough time to hit the bathroom, etc. So you HAVE to drive like a bat our of hell to hit your quotas, but also can't. I often see the drivers pulling up to neighbors houses and they are in full sprint to the door and back to the vehicle, peeling out of there to make the next stop. It's no wonder people are saying NO MAS. It's just asinine. Even in my own field I've been thankfully working over the course of the year, my pay is half what I used to make and the workload has easily quintupled. My brain is fried by the end of each work day and I can't help but feel the product has suffered as result (it's very technical and requires deep analysis). It's freaking crazy. I feel this is universal as technology has further encroached into our workplaces. Because of software solutions, expectations have gotten completely out of control, yet the employers are also kind of in a bind because they have to push such expectations to remain competitive to their customers since everyone else is doing it.

RE: Trucker shortage - Don't know if anybody's been following that, but I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for a good trucking position to put my CDL to use. Every posting I've been seeing requires years of experience and the pay's universally terrible. You used to be able to actually pull pretty good money in that field. Especially for overnight work. Not any more. Add in inflation and crazy workloads, and it's just not appealing anymore. I'm still open to it, but the pay's gotta be worth it.
    I'm going to PM you about a job opening, but it's in Central Oregon.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Amazon's a great example of much of the working world today. Tell their drivers they have to hit some CRAAAAZY delivery requirements, but also gonna put cameras on them in the cab, GPS tracking, etc., to make sure they don't have any safety violations, not enough time to hit the bathroom, etc. So you HAVE to drive like a bat our of hell to hit your quotas, but also can't. I often see the drivers pulling up to neighbors houses and they are in full sprint to the door and back to the vehicle, peeling out of there to make the next stop. It's no wonder people are saying NO MAS. It's just asinine. Even in my own field I've been thankfully working over the course of the year, my pay is half what I used to make and the workload has easily quintupled. My brain is fried by the end of each work day and I can't help but feel the product has suffered as result (it's very technical and requires deep analysis). It's freaking crazy. I feel this is universal as technology has further encroached into our workplaces. Because of software solutions, expectations have gotten completely out of control, yet the employers are also kind of in a bind because they have to push such expectations to remain competitive to their customers since everyone else is doing it.
    Your posts are hysterical. Real “The world has turned and left me here” vibes. And you’re youngish. WTF?

Read some tutorials on how to optimize your resume for automated filtration FFS.

Agreed, the filters on the front and and the ways around them should be seen more as a test than a barrier. You really want the job? Use LI to find out who the manager is and send them a note directly (guess the email) while simultaneously submitting through the company's web site. That's low hanging fruit. It goes next level from there. How hungry are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I'm going to PM you about a job opening, but it's in Central Oregon.
    Thanks for the PM. Pretty rad. If I was in OR, that'd be a great gig.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Your posts are hysterical. Real “The world has turned and left me here” vibes. And you’re youngish. WTF?

Read some tutorials on how to optimize your resume for automated filtration FFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Agreed, the filters on the front and and the ways around them should be seen more as a test than a barrier. You really want the job? Use LI to find out who the manager is and send them a note directly (guess the email) while simultaneously submitting through the company's web site. That's low hanging fruit. It goes next level from there. How hungry are you?
    You guys are kind of reinforcing my point. The fact that these automated application filters are so aggressive in and of itself is proof that many companies aren't THAT desperate for employees. If you have to game the system just to get eyeballs on your resume, then that's a broken system. And yes, I do know about resume optimization, but they're on to that too apparently, as supposedly you can also get auto-filtered out by having too many keywords as well. It's a balancing act, but there's no way of knowing what companies are looking for what precisely.

Thankfully, I'm good on work for the moment so haven't had to play this game in a while. It's just what I experienced when job hunting and what I'm hearing many others are dealing with right now too. I got my current gig my good old fashioned networking. Knew someone who knew someone looking for my skills.

The Great Resignation ‘21

You guys are kind of reinforcing my point. The fact that these automated application filters are so aggressive in and of itself is proof that many companies aren't THAT desperate for employees. If you have to game the system just to get eyeballs on your resume, then that's a broken system. And yes, I do know about resume optimization, but they're on to that too apparently, as supposedly you can also get auto-filtered out by having too many keywords as well. It's a balancing act, but there's no way of knowing what companies are looking for what precisely.

Thankfully, I'm good on work for the moment so haven't had to play this game in a while. It's just what I experienced when job hunting and what I'm hearing many others are dealing with right now too. I got my current gig my good old fashioned networking. Knew someone who knew someone looking for my skills.
    Bless your heart.

It’s not about cramming all the new corporate buzzwords into each line on your resume. It’s about stating the specific actions you’ve taken and the results you produced.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Bless your heart.
    You an HR corporate goon or something?

You an HR corporate goon or something?
    I’m a peasant at a rather large corp but not in HR.

Have you also considered that maybe you’re just not that good? You lament the passing of the “good old days” but what have you done to keep up with the times?

HR is almost universally awful in my experience (sorry, HR people) and that goes back long before 2020. Someone I know had an interview set up for this week. Mid/senior level role.
    Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, go to HR.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    thats quite true, but that’s also connections masquerading as merit & hustle culture.